ebikes on the Shore

Oct. 1, 2022, 12:22 a.m.

What a disingenuous ad that was lol, those poor guys. I didn't even notice my bike weighs 50lbs while taking it out of the truck! Or that incessant whirring sound! Or that my cranks no longer function and are now a throttle! 

Why don't the manufacturers just try advertising them honestly.

Last edited by: Hepcat on Oct. 1, 2022, 12:22 a.m., edited 1 time in total.
Oct. 1, 2022, 8:11 a.m.

Cranks no longer function….

Hmmm.

Oct. 1, 2022, 8:32 a.m.

Yeah, most people ride to the trail that's being worked on here, or at least to the trail head.

Oct. 1, 2022, 10:08 a.m.

Posted by: TheWasp

I can't quite figure out if this is something that would make the bike appeal more to e-riders. Somehow it seems patronizing.

Oct. 1, 2022, 10:43 a.m.

Hmm fair enough cranks are functioning in some way haha, but not in the same way they normally would on a bicycle. The input is going into a motor first instead of straight back to the wheel. It's an odd experience to those used to turning the cranks on a bicycle and having their power go unfiltered straight into the hub.

Grab one from a shop and hit a sprint in the parking lot it's instantly obvious, or for the full effect find a steep upslope to hammer.

It's an unsettling capped motorized feeling, different than having someone give you a push up a hill for instance...or anything bicycle like really.

Last edited by: Hepcat on Oct. 1, 2022, 12:50 p.m., edited 3 times in total.
Reason: Sp
Oct. 1, 2022, 12:57 p.m.

Posted by: Hepcat

Hmm fair enough cranks are functioning in some way haha, but not in the same way they normally would on a bicycle. The input is going into a motor first instead of straight back to the wheel. It's an odd experience to those used to turning the cranks on a bicycle and having their power go unfiltered straight into the hub.

Grab one from a shop and hit a sprint in the parking lot it's instantly obvious, or for the full effect find a steep upslope to hammer.

It's an unsettling capped motorized feeling, different than having someone give you a push up a hill for instance...or anything bicycle like really.

So if I pedal with 1200watts, what does the ebike do with my "sprint effort"? Do I just get the 500w the motor is capable of putting out?

Oct. 1, 2022, 1:12 p.m.

Yeah, it's this weird thing where you have to turn up the motor setting to the highest (turbo) setting to try and get it to allow you to hammer hard, but it's always capped at some point. 

Sprinting is the only thing bicycle related that I'm good at, on an e-bike the ability to sprint all out is just...gone. 

Sustained tempo power however is far beyond human capability. Sit down and go through the motions of turning the cranks up a monster climb at 20 km/h without sweating or getting your heart rate up.

Oct. 1, 2022, 3:51 p.m.

Yeah, it's this weird thing where you have to turn up the motor setting to the highest (turbo) setting to try and get it to allow you to hammer hard, but it's always capped at some point. 

Sprinting is the only thing bicycle related that I'm good at, on an e-bike the ability to sprint all out is just...gone. 

Sustained tempo power however is far beyond human capability. Sit down and go through the motions of turning the cranks up a monster climb at 20 km/h without sweating or getting your heart rate up.

I frequently swap between my Levo (most fun commuting transport ever?) and my singlespeed 160mm hardtail (most weirdly fun MTB ever?) and I’ve never had a problem sprinting on the ebike. Yes, when you’re going hard it no longer multiplies your torque proportionally but it still puts out a lot of power which adds to your own power. The motor power is capped at about 600W burst, 250W longterm- enough to make you go significantly faster but not so much that your own power in a sprint is irrelevant.

In fact I’ve found that both the eMTB and the singlespeed encourage a “max attack!” approach to riding - an hour riding the Levo like that is way more intense than riding any of my normal bikes, there are so many more corners at that speed uphill! The eMTB also does lazy pootling well but that gets boring fast.

Oct. 1, 2022, 8:24 p.m.

Your third point just isn’t true.

Your observations sound like they are based on one ride. If you’re not sweating or your heart rate isn’t up, your not doing it right. 20km going up? Maybe climbing up the road but unlikely. After a ride your average speed will be somewhere between 12 and 15km Climbing single track in boost/turbo, no way, impossible. So much misinformation in this thread. 

In our little group there are eight of them. Your more then welcome to join us anytime. I’ll take you for a proper ride. Seriously!

Last edited by: FLATCH on Oct. 1, 2022, 8:45 p.m., edited 3 times in total.
Oct. 1, 2022, 9 p.m.

Posted by: FLATCH

Your third point just isn’t true.

I have done precisely that on an E-MTB. The gravel path back up to the hotel in the Dolomites this summer was an hour of horrible full sun slogging, wanted to shoot myself doing it on a pedal bike. On the e-bike the next day it was 20km/h of Boost the whole way, no sweat, no tiredness. It was absolutely glorious.

----

Thanks for the invite Flatch, you're a gent I appreciate that. I've got my little Vancouver posse I ride with when I'm home of like minded ludites. 

Have given E-MTBs a good try, it's not my cuppa.

Last edited by: Hepcat on Oct. 1, 2022, 9:11 p.m., edited 1 time in total.
Oct. 8, 2022, 11:33 p.m.

Are there any old skidders or abandoned trails you could climb on an eeb from central/west Fromme to avoid the climb trail or traversing Baden Powell back to fire road?

Oct. 20, 2022, 10:18 a.m.

810wh/l

https://electrek.co/2022/10/20/nanograf-battery/

now think how an ebike could look with a battery made out of these cells, pretty much indistinguishable from a non motorized one

Oct. 20, 2022, 2 p.m.

I'm no battery expert, but their new battery appears to be ever so slightly better performing than the one they came out with last year. So how is this ground breaking?

Oct. 20, 2022, 2:17 p.m.

Posted by: mammal

I'm no battery expert, but their new battery appears to be ever so slightly better performing than the one they came out with last year. So how is this ground breaking?

my range extender is the size of a bidon and has 252wh

Oct. 21, 2022, 9:24 a.m.

I see. So what they've been cooking up over the years has substantial power density gains over what's being produced currently. I wonder how long it will be until those types of packs are included on the motor bikes of the Shore...