ebikes on the Shore

Aug. 25, 2022, 10:57 a.m.

Posted by: shoreboy

The legal cutoff is 32km/h for class 1 e-bikes. It looks like lime bike is lower at ~25km/h.  

I'm not 100% up on all the speed stuff, but I recall their is a Euro limit and a NA limit. Maybe your machine is set to the other one. If so there might be a firmware/setting fix.

Aug. 25, 2022, 11:03 a.m.

Posted by: Vikb

The legal cutoff is 32km/h for class 1 e-bikes. It looks like lime bike is lower at ~25km/h.

I'm not 100% up on all the speed stuff, but I recall their is a Euro limit and a NA limit. Maybe your machine is set to the other one. If so there might be a firmware/setting fix.

Lime Bikes are a pilot ebike sharing program being run on the North Shore. It's a better idea than the Mobi bike share in Vancouver imho.

https://www.dnv.org/streets-transportation/e-bike-share-pilot-program

Last edited by: syncro on Aug. 25, 2022, 11:04 a.m., edited 1 time in total.
Aug. 25, 2022, 11:07 a.m.

Sorry I misread. I thought we were talking about someone's personal rig.

Aug. 25, 2022, 11:16 a.m.

Posted by: syncro

Lime Bikes are a pilot ebike sharing program being run on the North Shore. It's a better idea than the Mobi bike share in Vancouver imho.

https://www.dnv.org/streets-transportation/e-bike-share-pilot-program

Why do you consider the Lime program better than the Mobi one just out of interest? I see that Mobi now has e-bikes in their fleet for an upcharge.

Aug. 25, 2022, 11:22 a.m.

Why do you consider the Lime program better than the Mobi one just out of interest? I see that Mobi now has e-bikes in their fleet for an upcharge.

Heavy and terrible on the smallest of inclines in downtown core.  E-assist takes that barrier out of the way.  Designated docking stations is a bit of an annoyance as well, but I can see how having these things littered everywhere is also problematic.

Didn't see that Mobi is getting e-bikes.  I know BCAA Evolve is likely coming as are some form of E-Scooter sharing.

Aug. 25, 2022, 11:33 a.m.

For the intents of the program, I think the ebike option makes more sense in terms of getting people out of cars as they require less effort to get around than a regular bike. Plus the topography of Metro Van is pretty hilly, so the ebike option makes even more sense in that regard. If we want to get the general public more aligned with the idea of using bikes for shorter trips then I think making the access easy by removing the barrier of fitness will help a lot. Plus, simply getting people who are fairly sedentary is a plus as it will help to get their fitness up, even if my a small amount.

Aug. 25, 2022, 11:36 a.m.

Sorry I misread. I thought we were talking about someone's personal rig.

No worries, I just thought I'd mention it and share the link as I think it's a great program and more effective at getting people out of cars for short trips than the Mobi program in Vancouver.

I think it would be great to see Lime or eMobi programs grow further across Metro Van as they would solve a lot of the commute by bike issues.

Aug. 25, 2022, 1 p.m.

Posted by: SixZeroSixOne

Lol, that illustrates the main downside of legal e-bikes on the road. That journey is, like, 10 mins max on a proper road bike cruising at ~28kph...

i.e. on legal e-bikes the cut-off is too low if the terrain is mostly flat.

This is super obvious on my commute downtown. E-bikes rip past me up the couple hills but then get caught on the flats / dh sections. Only side note to that is the e-bikers are typically noobs... so not sure if a long term rider could squeeze some better performance.

Buddy on the e-cruiser, fatbike 24" whatever it is, that barely pedals and does 40 sure drops me though...

Aug. 26, 2022, 9:10 a.m.

I’ll tell ya right now that yes, experienced riders can get a lot more speed out of an e-bike around town than the noobs.

Aug. 26, 2022, 10:01 a.m.

I think for most regular people riding an e-bike around town ("noobs"?) the point is to make it easier / less sweaty, not to go faster.

Aug. 26, 2022, 11:20 a.m.

Posted by: [email protected]

I think for most regular people riding an e-bike around town ("noobs"?) the point is to make it easier / less sweaty, not to go faster.

When all I see many e-bike riders doing is twist the throttle with little to no pedaling, Id say both are accomplished. Much faster and less sweaty.

Aug. 26, 2022, 12:12 p.m.

I think this is the fatbike dragster-cruiser thing that buddy hammers past me on most mornings....

https://victorebikes.ca/products/retro-cruiser-electric-fat-bike

Says 32km/hr as max speed but his does waaaay more than that.

Last edited by: MaxRockatansky on Aug. 26, 2022, 12:14 p.m., edited 1 time in total.
Aug. 26, 2022, 2:54 p.m.

Yeah i've seen those and the RAD bikes version. Ill assume since you can easily mod the RAD version up to 40km/h with a few presses of the buttons on the screen, that the same goes for that one. They have to list it as 32km/h for it to be legal as a Class I e-bike. The problem is, there is no agency that actually tests any of these bikes to see if they meet the legal requirements that I am aware of.

That bike sure does remind me of the 'motorcross' inspired bikes we rode around the neighborhood as kids. Probably weighed about the same, but had a plastic red 'gas tank' and fenders. Cant tell you how gutted I was when mine was stolen outside the 7-eleven when I went inside to get a Slurpee.

Last edited by: shoreboy on Aug. 26, 2022, 3:03 p.m., edited 3 times in total.
Aug. 26, 2022, 3:22 p.m.

Yeah i've seen those and the RAD bikes version. Ill assume since you can easily mod the RAD version up to 40km/h with a few presses of the buttons on the screen, that the same goes for that one. They have to list it as 32km/h for it to be legal as a Class I e-bike. The problem is, there is no agency that actually tests any of these bikes to see if they meet the legal requirements that I am aware of.

That bike sure does remind me of the 'motorcross' inspired bikes we rode around the neighborhood as kids. Probably weighed about the same, but had a plastic red 'gas tank' and fenders. Cant tell you how gutted I was when mine was stolen outside the 7-eleven when I went inside to get a Slurpee.

https://nsmb.com/forum/forum/nbr-not-biking-related-9/topic/the-nsmb-random-picture-thread-nsfw-26963/?page=372

Aug. 26, 2022, 4:13 p.m.

Posted by: [email protected]

I’m experienced and I did it to ditch most of my car trips with two small kids so for me the comparison is to the car, not a bike. 

E-longtail for me is cheaper, funner and faster than the car and basically just as easy.  Replaced enough trips that we could sell a car, furthering the savings.