ebikes on the Shore

April 18, 2022, 4:12 p.m.

Posted by: Vikb

Posted by: syncro

Any stats/data to support that or is it just an Vikb anecdotal observation from a place with a small population base that doesn't reflect greater society as a whole?

Just my observation. I'm not sure why the people on Vancouver Island would somehow be skewed to less likely to ride a bicycle than a moped. What data do you have that Van Isle is not representative on this issue or is it just your snarky opinion because you want to be argumentative?

lol - Vikb getting upset and being guilty of what he accuses others of. The anti-ebike group think is strong. Don't get upset that your assumed opinion is being called into question.

For the record I didn't say that people on Van Isle would be less likely to ride a bike than an ebike (moped in your words), but it's not uncommon for data to get skewed when there are smaller sample to draw the data from. Your claim is that "lots" of trips now being done by ebike were previously being done by people on bicycle and I'm calling that claim as doubtful as a proper representation of society as a whole.

April 18, 2022, 5:29 p.m.

Posted by: Hepcat

Speaking strictly MTB. On the road of course it's possible that a person is replacing their car with a greener option.

It seems like transport cycling is going full e-bike and lots of those same trips were being done with bicycles so I would assume a high % of those batteries are unnecessary as well.

Using my workplace in Burnaby as a data point, I'd estimate 30-40 percent of the daily commuter cyclists have gone electric in the last year or so.

April 18, 2022, 5:56 p.m.

Posted by: skooks

Using my workplace in Burnaby as a data point, I'd estimate 30-40 percent of the daily commuter cyclists have gone electric in the last year or so.

Good info. But is it necessarily a bad thing that people who cycle commute are using ebikes? That unfortunately seems to be the underlying assumption with some people (not necessarily you). that any use of ebikes is somehow wrong.

April 18, 2022, 8:43 p.m.

Posted by: Hepcat

Speaking strictly MTB. On the road of course it's possible that a person is replacing their car with a greener option.

It seems like transport cycling is going full e-bike and lots of those same trips were being done with bicycles so I would assume a high % of those batteries are unnecessary as well.

Ya based on my buildings bike lock up the electrics are taking over commuting. And they’re adding to the total. 

And hey, why not?  Faster, more fun and cheaper than the car?  Easier than the bike?  There’s a reason my electric longtail gets more use than my cars do now.

April 18, 2022, 9:12 p.m.

Good info. But is it necessarily a bad thing that people who cycle commute are using ebikes? That unfortunately seems to be the underlying assumption with some people (not necessarily you). that any use of ebikes is somehow wrong.

I think that commuting is the perfect application for ebikes. I recently converted an old hybrid bike to electric and it's great. My only complaint is that I can't pedal fast enough to keep up with the motor. I still need to pedal my meat bike to get my exercise quota.

April 18, 2022, 9:37 p.m.

I was up at the LSCR this weekend and there were alot of electric bikes.  Two years ago I'd maybe see one of two when riding out to and back from the dam.

April 19, 2022, 4:44 a.m.

I think that commuting is the perfect application for ebikes. I recently converted an old hybrid bike to electric and it's great. My only complaint is that I can't pedal fast enough to keep up with the motor. I still need to pedal my meat bike to get my exercise quota.

I'm in agreement with that, IF, it's converting people from driving vehicles, but if they're just converting from a regular, no battery or fossil fuel bike to one that requires battery/fuel and they're not doing any great distance commute and that's all they're using them for, not to go grocery shopping and general commuting, not so sure. But definitely think of all the place electric bikes belong is in this sphere, keep all other self propelled sporting activities free of motors, let there be fun with the underlying benefit of getting exercise.

April 19, 2022, 7:44 a.m.

I think throughout this enormous thread, there have been very few negative opinions about commuter ebikes. The negativity has almost entirely been directed toward ebikes and trail use, and you've been along for the whole ride, so I'm not sure how you missed that.

Last edited by: mammal on April 19, 2022, 7:45 a.m., edited 1 time in total.
April 19, 2022, 10:30 a.m.

Posted by: Lynx

I'm in agreement with that, IF, it's converting people from driving vehicles, but if they're just converting from a regular, no battery or fossil fuel bike to one that requires battery/fuel and they're not doing any great distance commute and that's all they're using them for, not to go grocery shopping and general commuting, not so sure. But definitely think of all the place electric bikes belong is in this sphere, keep all other self propelled sporting activities free of motors, let there be fun with the underlying benefit of getting exercise.

Any bike rider, e- or meat-powered, is one less car on the road. I definitely prefer riding my human-powered bike most of the time, but if the weather is crappy or I'm feeling tired having the ebike option makes it much easier to decide to ride rather than drive to work.

April 19, 2022, 10:44 a.m.

Posted by: mammal

I think throughout this enormous thread, there have been very few negative opinions about commuter ebikes. The negativity has almost entirely been directed toward ebikes and trail use, and you've been along for the whole ride, so I'm not sure how you missed that.

Yeah you're right and I'm aware of that, but there have been a few posts lately where the ebike hate has extended to all types of ebikes and has been based in some sort of elitism that people who use ebikes are somehow inferior. I am 100% on board with the fact that a bike is better in terms of fitness and environment - which is debatable in some contexts - but choosing ebikes doesn't make someone a bad or lesser person as is often intimated. My point is that if someone wants to champion their preferred choice then go for it, but there's no need to belittle an entire group of people in the process. I find this whole thing where some people feel they can tell others their choice of bike is wrong or not as good as theirs a bit strange. If someone's not breaking the rules, who are they to tell other people how to do their thing? It would be different if it was offered as friendly advice on how to improve things, but that's not the case with ebikes.

Edit: I'll add some shameful irony is that many years ago I once chided people for walking their bikes up the mtn instead of pedaling them. My argument was based on better fitness overall and better fitness for the ride down - both of which are true. However, at the end of the day people are free to choose how they get up the mountain or to work  and talking down to people for that choice is the opposite of what a lot of the mtb community is about.

Last edited by: syncro on April 19, 2022, 10:52 a.m., edited 1 time in total.
April 19, 2022, 10:48 a.m.

Yeah, me too. And if fuel prices continue to climb well above $2/L I think you might see more people jumping on ebikes as an alternative to driving or crowded transit. As the cycling infrastructure continues to improve that's probably also going to increase the number of people turning to ebikes as an option. I think one of the biggest hurdles though will be good lock-up facilities to protect bikes from theft.

April 19, 2022, 11:54 a.m.

Posted by: FLATCH

Posted by: Sethimus

Posted by: Lynx

If motor driven bike riders want to be accepted, make the effort to look up and hook up with your local trail group and get out there and do some trail work, or at the very least make some proper donations to the trail orgs and Green Peace and other such orgs for the e-waste that you'll be dumping in the next 1-3 years or less.

you do drive your bike to the trailhead in your truck, right?

What would make you, or anyone really, think that e-bikers in particular don’t contribute any less than anybody else? As far as lithium batteries go, you do know that there are many programs that recycle them don’t you? If that’s really your problem with e-bikes then maybe you should rag on ALL lithium batteries. You know, like cars, phones, tablets, laptops, power tools…. Foolish comments.

you totally misunderstood me here. i just find it funny that the consensus around the haters is that people are just too lazy to ride their bikes under their own power but at the same time need a car to drive to some place to ride it there and then drive back. the same people usually complain on traffic and congested parking spots on their favorite mountains…

Last edited by: Sethimus on April 19, 2022, 11:55 a.m., edited 1 time in total.
April 22, 2022, 9:35 a.m.

Well, there's One less e-bike  on the Shore now...

April 22, 2022, 2:02 p.m.

Posted by: SixZeroSixOne

Yikes! Hope the damage wasn't too bad. Thankfully it happened not on the trail, but I think most battery fires are when charging, if i remember from a few pages back.

April 22, 2022, 5:35 p.m.

Posted by: silverbansheebike

Posted by: SixZeroSixOne

Yikes! Hope the damage wasn't too bad. Thankfully it happened not on the trail, but I think most battery fires are when charging, if i remember from a few pages back.

Some of the commuter ebikes are absurdly cheap so I think we can reasonably expect stuff like this to start happening more often.