ebikes on the Shore

Nov. 18, 2021, 11:28 a.m.

Dual crown Boxxer.  Just whats needed on a bicycle tour.

Nov. 18, 2021, 5:39 p.m.

45 degree seat tube angle is sweet.

Nov. 19, 2021, 6:16 a.m.

Posted by: Ride.DMC

45 degree seat tube angle is sweet.

That's why there's a motor.

Nov. 19, 2021, 12:03 p.m.

Posted by: heckler

Dual crown Boxxer.  Just whats needed on a bicycle tour.

Yes definitely a touring bike. Not intended for trail use.

Nov. 19, 2021, 1:16 p.m.

Posted by: syncro

...a bike trip from Van to Tuktoyaktuk... along the Dempster and backroads... all the way to the artic circle

Nov. 19, 2021, 6:59 p.m.

...a bike trip from Van to Tuktoyaktuk... along the Dempster and backroads... all the way to the artic circle

or a real bike trip like this one?

https://ridewithjonas.travelmap.net/

https://www.instagram.com/p/CTkJyTdgX-O/?utm_source=ig_web_copy_link

zoom in, it's quite impressive solo. when he arrived at my place, his Rohloff hub was begging for mercy, but still working well. No motor.

Bicycling.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CSEjxZcgkPi/?utm_source=ig_web_copy_link

Last edited by: heckler on Nov. 19, 2021, 7:07 p.m., edited 4 times in total.
Nov. 23, 2021, 6:17 p.m.

Posted by: heckler

or a real bike trip like this one?

https://ridewithjonas.travelmap.net/

https://www.instagram.com/p/CTkJyTdgX-O/?utm_source=ig_web_copy_link

zoom in, it's quite impressive solo. when he arrived at my place, his Rohloff hub was begging for mercy, but still working well. No motor.

Bicycling.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CSEjxZcgkPi/?utm_source=ig_web_copy_link

That looks pretty cool.

I have a friend who pedaled from Van to Nova Scotia and speaks fondly of the trip. A few years back he flew up to Fort Nelson with his bike and then rode to Whitehorse. So when I was poking around that Optibike site I was thinking about his trips and thought why not do the whole Coast to Coast to Coast Canada trip? Preference would be on my own steam, but that's a looooong trip, something like 11,000km's and probably 5 months or more of riding. Going ebike would significantly cut down on the time and make it doable in less than half the time. That Optibike has dual batteries and a range of about 450km so charging is less of an issue. With a rig like that you could ride Van to Tuktoyaktuk in 2-3 weeks. It just makes long trips like that much more obtainable as huge time frames aren't needed. It seems like a pretty cool way of getting around if you don't want to go fully motorized.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kJnKgV90CXc

Last edited by: syncro on Nov. 23, 2021, 6:18 p.m., edited 1 time in total.
Dec. 3, 2021, 10:18 p.m.

Just get a motorbike if traveling distances in a specific time are your goal. The whole point of bike touring (imo) is to ride without a schedule. If you land somewhere cool, stay an extra day (or more). The fact that you want to add a motor so you can check off some list of places you have biked (not biked) to is ridiculous. For that matter, putting a motor on your bike so you can bike two laps instead of one? Imo, you missed the point of your bike ride as well.

But if you do choose to put a motor on your bike in order to achieve things you couldn't without, please don't forget to Instagram it. Otherwise, did it really happen?

Seriously, just ride your bike and stop worrying about if you rode enough to impress others. Stop worrying if your bike tour covered enough ground. And stop worrying how many laps you do. Just go ride. If you enjoy riding a bike while a motor does the work, great. But don't do it so you can check off milestones. That's like having a spelling bee where the contestants use dictionaries.

Dec. 4, 2021, 9:09 a.m.

Posted by: RAHrider

Just get a motorbike if traveling distances in a specific time are your goal. The whole point of bike touring (imo) is to ride without a schedule. If you land somewhere cool, stay an extra day (or more). The fact that you want to add a motor so you can check off some list of places you have biked (not biked) to is ridiculous. For that matter, putting a motor on your bike so you can bike two laps instead of one? Imo, you missed the point of your bike ride as well.

But if you do choose to put a motor on your bike in order to achieve things you couldn't without, please don't forget to Instagram it. Otherwise, did it really happen?

Seriously, just ride your bike and stop worrying about if you rode enough to impress others. Stop worrying if your bike tour covered enough ground. And stop worrying how many laps you do. Just go ride. If you enjoy riding a bike while a motor does the work, great. But don't do it so you can check off milestones. That's like having a spelling bee where the contestants use dictionaries.

Where did all that come from and who are you to tell someone else how they should or shouldn't be spending their own time?

Dec. 4, 2021, 10:05 a.m.

Posted by: RAHrider

Where did all that come from and who are you to tell someone else how they should or shouldn't be spending their own time?

I'm torn. One on hand both of these positions are some crazy gatekeeping but I also sort of agree.

Dec. 4, 2021, 10:40 a.m.

Posted by: craw

I'm torn. One on hand both of these positions are some crazy gatekeeping but I also sort of agree.

Hmm, I was talking about a big bike touring trip tho. There's a huge difference between ripping across the country on a motorcycle like RAHrider said and doing it on a pedal assist ebike. We're talking speed differentials of 40 to 80km/hr depending on the route and a very different travel experience. The idea of using an ebike for that type of trip is to make it doable in a reasonable amount of time as not everyone is in a position to take 3 to 5 months off of work to be able to do something like that. It's the type of situation where I see ebikes as offering a huge advantage over regular bikes. Even on a shorter trip I think ebikes offer huge advantages. For example I know people who have done scenic day trips in places like Banff that they couldn't have done on a regular bike. 

People are free to share their opinion, but dictating to someone else how they should enjoy their leisure time is something that just doesn't sit well with me.

Dec. 4, 2021, 2:06 p.m.

The best thing about the opinions of strangers is that they mean literally nothing, and only affect you if you allow them to.

Dec. 4, 2021, 3:10 p.m.

Welcome to the Internet!  You will see a lot of this kind of thing here.

Dec. 4, 2021, 3:40 p.m.

Posted by: Ride.DMC

Welcome to the Internet!  You will see a lot of this kind of thing here.

haha!  Oh don't I know it - as well as being guilty of it myself the odd time. I was just a bit surprised to see it from RAH that's all.

Dec. 4, 2021, 3:54 p.m.

Posted by: thaaad

The best thing about the opinions of strangers is that they mean literally nothing, and only affect you if you allow them to.

What he said. 👍👍