ebikes on the Shore

Dec. 16, 2019, 12:29 p.m.

Posted by: D_C_

Posted by: peterk

hypothetical question: I'm sure rebates for e-bikes are not too far away. Sure, they should be intended for commuting to take cars off the roads, but I bet that can be stretched to that 160mm eMTB. Say you get $1000 back for buying an e-bike, bringing them closer in line with a similar spec mtb, but with a motor! Would you? Will tempt a lot of even the hard line riders.

I wouldn't be tempted at all. Cost is not the main reason I don't have an e-mtb.

Seriously. We have chairlifts and trucks and yet most people still like to climb. Once bikes improved and we got more climbing trails people went back to climbing rather than shuttle. Chairlifts and sleds exist and yet people still want to go ski touring. Adding a motor somehow dilutes and alters what people really like about riding.

Dec. 16, 2019, 4:29 p.m.

Posted by: craw

hypothetical question: I'm sure rebates for e-bikes are not too far away. Sure, they should be intended for commuting to take cars off the roads, but I bet that can be stretched to that 160mm eMTB. Say you get $1000 back for buying an e-bike, bringing them closer in line with a similar spec mtb, but with a motor! Would you? Will tempt a lot of even the hard line riders.

I wouldn't be tempted at all. Cost is not the main reason I don't have an e-mtb.

Seriously. We have chairlifts and trucks and yet most people still like to climb. Once bikes improved and we got more climbing trails people went back to climbing rather than shuttle. Chairlifts and sleds exist and yet people still want to go ski touring. Adding a motor somehow dilutes and alters what people really like about riding.

Couldn’t be more true for some. For some it enhances the ride. Basically different strokes for different folks. Personally, it’s made single track climbs really fun for me. It’s been good for both my knees and my heart. Two years ago I developed bursitis in both knees, right then the left. Struggled with that for 8 months, even wondered if my time to ride was expiring. Now I’m having a blast again.

Dec. 16, 2019, 5:44 p.m.

Posted by: FLATCH

Posted by: craw

Couldn’t be more true for some. For some it enhances the ride. Basically different strokes for different folks. Personally, it’s made single track climbs really fun for me. It’s been good for both my knees and my heart. Two years ago I developed bursitis in both knees, right then the left. Struggled with that for 8 months, even wondered if my time to ride was expiring. Now I’m having a blast again.

I don't need to hurt to know that I am getting older and I still like to go at the speed or more that I used to be able to go on a much more capable bike then when I was 25 ( that would make it 1995) That year I built up a Proflex 855 with a Judy SL and V brakes for about $5G's so now buying a used e-bike at $3500 was a no brainer.

Dec. 17, 2019, 11:15 a.m.

It's just endless with human lazyness.

How to get razzed beyond belief in the lineup.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/racer23/boost-surfing-fin?utm_source=facebook&utm_medium=paidsocial&utm_campaign=Kick-espresso1&utm_content=23844253615690286_30-60_ID

Dec. 17, 2019, 11:39 a.m.

I am excited for my e-hiker to show up. No more being last to the top of the mountain in my group of friends. In fact I can do two big hikes in a day no problem now. ;) #progress

Dec. 18, 2019, 7:30 a.m.

Posted by: Vikb

I am excited for my e-hiker to show up. No more being last to the top of the mountain in my group of friends. In fact I can do two big hikes in a day no problem now. ;) #progress

Good one. I personally am not fond of hiking so I will skip.

Dec. 18, 2019, 8:54 a.m.

I have to disagree, as some of the older peeps on here as well. 

Sidenote: I do not live on or near the Shore so please keep that in mind. 

Right now I have a 21km commute one way, give and take a few when I go by bike. I live on top of a pretty steep hill, road has at times a 18% gradient which is pretty much in my parts of the world and I (still) hate climbing, kind of. 

Right now I have two choices:

1. Get an ebike. 

2. Use my car and simply drive a bit, at present about 2 km. Advantage: I still save a shitload of gas and do not kill myself on that climb and commute by bike everyday - and get fitter until I can ride all of it. 

Point is....I think if healthy there are two types of riders, purely seen in black and white (which is not how life is working but...). 

One who embraces ebikes for comfort, the other loves the challenge without any assistance.

Dec. 18, 2019, 10:30 a.m.

OK

I could go for an e-cargo bike to transport my Real Bike and dogs to the trails

and 2500 watts and a throttle with electric warmer grips, and no chain or fully enclosed drivetrain

Last edited by: taprider on Dec. 18, 2019, 3:09 p.m., edited 1 time in total.
Dec. 18, 2019, 10:49 a.m.

ebikes for commuting is a no brainer...  just makes sense.

Jan. 7, 2020, 11:22 a.m.

Posted by: trumpstinyhands

No. I'd potentially be tempted to get one if I was building a trail that was 'out there', to speed up proceedings, but even then I'd probably get something completely different like an E-assist fat bike. I've got no interest in getting the same style bike but with a motor when I have 'sort of...' working legs. And the whole 'you can get more laps in', will be the death of many trails.

This. I'm surprised more companies, specifically in Canada haven't marketed them as a trailbuilding tool to try and get over a lot of the negative public perception. I'm very biased though as I'm currently contacting a bunch of companies to try and get a hook up on an ebike for a massive project I have in for approval. It seems like a no-brainer considering that I could potentially ask the ministry in my section 57 application that I'd like to ban ebikes from said trail, but I guess this is all still a grey area under recreation management guidelines.

Jan. 8, 2020, 7:48 a.m.

Im guessing that nobody is going to give you a free bike if that threat is included in your solicitation letters.

Jan. 8, 2020, 8:25 a.m.

Posted by: tashi

Im guessing that nobody is going to give you a free bike if that threat is included in your solicitation letters.

I guess that could be interpreted as more of a threat then I intended it to be. I'm definitely pro e-bikes for opening up new/further/less dense areas regardless of whether or not I get one. I'm just surprised there isn't more of a marketing effort for ebikes towards the trail maintenance aspect when they're only seeming to aggravate trail associations about the increased use.

Jan. 9, 2020, 6:01 a.m.

Posted by: taprider

OK

I could go for an e-cargo bike to transport my Real Bike and dogs to the trails

and 2500 watts and a throttle with electric warmer grips, and no chain or fully enclosed drivetrain

thats a great idea , economic and comfortable.do you have anyone in mind for purchase?

April 16, 2020, 11:14 p.m.

https://www.counterpunch.org/2020/04/16/just-say-no-to-ebikes-on-public-lands/

April 17, 2020, 4:14 a.m.

Fake news, yawn 🥱

Last edited by: FLATCH on April 17, 2020, 4:16 a.m., edited 1 time in total.