ebikes on the Shore

Dec. 7, 2019, 10:08 a.m.

I think that if ebikers 1) never ask a rider to move over (especially on an uphill), 2) never make an unsafe pass, and 3) never ride up a descent trail, the world will be fine with them. Its all about rider behaviour in my view.

I dont think that theyll catch on here either until they are way lighter. I dont think that they will endure the pounding and, while I have not riden one, I think that their mass will be a bigger detriment descending than their motor will be overall. Maybe on smooth trails like Espresso or John Deer, but Im not so sure the masses would like to go down Ladies or Bookwus or Pipeline on one.

Dec. 7, 2019, 10:27 a.m.

There's been a steady waterfall of them being dumped in the classifieds. 

Perhaps people learned there was more to consider than E-BIKES ARE FUN.

Dec. 7, 2019, 12:53 p.m.

Posted by: pepperjerome1

... normally aspirated biking ...

Can't decide if this is a more, or less, ridiculous description than "acoustic bikes".

Dec. 7, 2019, 4:59 p.m.

I ride Fromme regularly and see at least one or two zip up the road when I get out of D'yer Maker.  I think since most new initiates that would buy them are likely to find the sticker shock too much to handle it would be for a limited few, but of the ones I have seen on Fromme:  either older types that would be inclined to buy one; a noob with no idea (or whom zips up only to ride the road back down........seen this twice) or riders that motor up as fast as possible to avoid any heckling as they know acceptance is not common.  Eagle, for example, allows motos there......have at it.   But not Cypress, Fromme, Seymour, Burke or the Woodlot.

Dec. 7, 2019, 5:31 p.m.

Posted by: blackfly

I ride Fromme regularly and see at least one or two zip up the road when I get out of D'yer Maker. I think since most new initiates that would buy them are likely to find the sticker shock too much to handle it would be for a limited few, but of the ones I have seen on Fromme: either older types that would be inclined to buy one; a noob with no idea (or whom zips up only to ride the road back down........seen this twice) or riders that motor up as fast as possible to avoid any heckling as they know acceptance is not common. Eagle, for example, allows motos there......have at it. But not Cypress, Fromme, Seymour, Burke or the Woodlot.

I ride mine at Burke and the Woodlot regularly. I ride a red Commencal, introduce yourself sometime.

Oh, and feel free to heckle, I find it laughable.

Last edited by: FLATCH on Dec. 7, 2019, 5:39 p.m., edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Humour
Dec. 8, 2019, 11:51 a.m.

Posted by: FLATCH

I ride Fromme regularly and see at least one or two zip up the road when I get out of D'yer Maker. I think since most new initiates that would buy them are likely to find the sticker shock too much to handle it would be for a limited few, but of the ones I have seen on Fromme: either older types that would be inclined to buy one; a noob with no idea (or whom zips up only to ride the road back down........seen this twice) or riders that motor up as fast as possible to avoid any heckling as they know acceptance is not common. Eagle, for example, allows motos there......have at it. But not Cypress, Fromme, Seymour, Burke or the Woodlot.

I ride mine at Burke and the Woodlot regularly. I ride a red Commencal, introduce yourself sometime.

All I really do these days is heckle with a smile, mostly out of jealousy that I'm dying on long climbs and they're not. But I'll be happy once the trail is pointed downhill again.

Our only issue down here is the US of A is the legality of motorized VS non-motorized vehicles and trail access. It has yet to come to a head, but there is a potential that electric motorized bicycles could be detrimental for trail access on many trail systems that are strictly non-motorized. Until this becomes an actual issue I can't be a zealot against E-bikes like I instinctively wanted to be.

Dec. 9, 2019, 5:09 p.m.

Amen.

As I have always contended, if you cannot do the up, you cannot do the down.  The down is no more easy, strenuous or requiring any less physical demand or tone.  Moreover, if the ebike allows one to further, but not faster, what happens if there is a "mechanical"  (or now, "electrical") far in the middle of nowhere?  Hope you have the legs and lungs to pedal or push it out.......

Don't try passing me on the uphill, EVER.

I am super curious about your last sentence. If someone was coming up fast behind you on a (pedal) bike, would you let them pass? Why would it be different if they were on a moped?  I would much rather have them pass me than have to listen to the motor all the way up the hill.

Dec. 10, 2019, 4:47 p.m.

Posted by: skooks

Amen.

As I have always contended, if you cannot do the up, you cannot do the down.  The down is no more easy, strenuous or requiring any less physical demand or tone.  Moreover, if the ebike allows one to further, but not faster, what happens if there is a "mechanical"  (or now, "electrical") far in the middle of nowhere?  Hope you have the legs and lungs to pedal or push it out.......

I am super curious about your last sentence. If someone was coming up fast behind you on a (pedal) bike, would you let them pass? Why would it be different if they were on a moped?  I would much rather have them pass me than have to listen to the motor all the way up the hill.

Well, if someone is on a pedal bike and going to pass me on No Quarter or GSM on the up, bravo.  Obviously better cardio and legs than I, and this is from hard work on the up.  I find the idea of an E bike on a up climbing trail the epitome of what is wrong with the concept.  

I ride Burke regularly myself.  I would of thought the sign at the gun club/yellow gate clearly showing no motorized vehicles would of been clear enough.  Guess not.

Dec. 10, 2019, 5:46 p.m.

I ride Burke regularly myself.  I would of thought the sign at the gun club/yellow gate clearly showing no motorized vehicles would of been clear enough.  Guess not.

careful, that soapbox you're standing on isn't very stable considering the majority of the trails we all ride were built without any sort of permission.

Dec. 10, 2019, 5:52 p.m.

Built without permission, continue to exist at the discretion of the land manager. 

A responsible person would ask themselves if violating their rules would risk that hard-fought access.

Dec. 10, 2019, 6:17 p.m.

Posted by: tashi

Built without permission, continue to exist at the discretion of the land manager. 

A responsible person would ask themselves if violating their rules would risk that hard-fought access.

If ebikers aren't riding like asshats then I don't see them being any risk to trail access. Considering LM's have had to deal with more than enough twits on mtb's over the years, incl rogue building, I'd guess that the bar for shitty ebike behaviour that would risk access for ALL types of bikes is going to be pretty damn high. While I don't always agree with the decisions and actions of LM's, I tend to think that they're smart enough to ban access to ebikes first before they ban access to all bikes. Surely there is a better argument than that to use to hate on ebikers?

Dec. 10, 2019, 6:45 p.m.

I bear no animosity towards ebikers so you can quit it with the “hate” term. 

I’m concerned for official access. 

You know your area better than I, hopefully your judgement is sound.

Dec. 10, 2019, 6:58 p.m.

Good to know, but I would be remiss in not saying that my impression of the flavour of your posts on the concerns of ebikes tends towards the sour side. That said, I am with you on the point about concern for trail access, I just feel it is more about the way the bikes are used rather than the bikes themselves. That's why trying to have sensible discussion on their use is important. Here on the Shore at least, I don't see it as much of an issue as you do. Considering that most posters on this board seem to be local to BC, without knowing your location is hard to say whether your concern is more justified than my lack of concern.

Dec. 10, 2019, 6:58 p.m.

Posted by: skooks

Amen.

As I have always contended, if you cannot do the up, you cannot do the down. The down is no more easy, strenuous or requiring any less physical demand or tone. Moreover, if the ebike allows one to further, but not faster, what happens if there is a "mechanical" (or now, "electrical") far in the middle of nowhere? Hope you have the legs and lungs to pedal or push it out.......

I am super curious about your last sentence. If someone was coming up fast behind you on a (pedal) bike, would you let them pass? Why would it be different if they were on a moped? I would much rather have them pass me than have to listen to the motor all the way up the hill.

Well, if someone is on a pedal bike and going to pass me on No Quarter or GSM on the up, bravo. Obviously better cardio and legs than I, and this is from hard work on the up. I find the idea of an E bike on a up climbing trail the epitome of what is wrong with the concept.

I ride Burke regularly myself. I would of thought the sign at the gun club/yellow gate clearly showing no motorized vehicles would of been clear enough. Guess not.

It’ crown land. Green light. And has to the previous, you can shove it up your elitist ass.😚

Last edited by: FLATCH on Dec. 10, 2019, 7:03 p.m., edited 1 time in total.
Reason: More humour.
Dec. 10, 2019, 7:29 p.m.

Posted by: syncro

Good to know, but I would be remiss in not saying that my impression of the flavour of your posts on the concerns of ebikes tends towards the sour side. That said, I am with you on the point about concern for trail access, I just feel it is more about the way the bikes are used rather than the bikes themselves. That's why trying to have sensible discussion on their use is important. Here on the Shore at least, I don't see it as much of an issue as you do. Considering that most posters on this board seem to be local to BC, without knowing your location is hard to say whether your concern is more justified than my lack of concern.

I’m in Victoria. If you want to ride a motorized bike here I hope you chat with someone with local knowledge because there are a few areas where motors will just make a bad access situation worse. 

I’m not 100% positive on these things it’s true, but it’s important to remember that my “sour” tone is entirely related to issues around official access. Not the riders or even the machines themselves (they’re fucking fun!) and not even “rogue” areas. 

There’s lots of land out there, particularly if you have a motor...