ebikes on the Shore

Sept. 16, 2019, 5:19 p.m.

If they were banned everywhere that's actually any fun to ride then people would stop buying them and companies would stop making them. It's not going to happen though.

Sept. 16, 2019, 5:20 p.m.

Especially when his 'bike' looks like this

Especially when his 'bike' looks like this. In what world is that a bicycle. I'd be surprised if anyone could pedal that any distance at all - if the pedals even do anything.

Sept. 16, 2019, 7:17 p.m.

Posted by: syncro

Posted by: cerealkilla_

They don't even want to consider any limitation

It's not just a simple thing where it's all great (ebike marketers) or all evil (ebike haters).......it's actually an issue that deserves a bit of thought.....something many are reluctant to do.

How did you get not considering any limitations? I only saw them supporting class 1 ebikes. That point kind of contradicts your last one which I entirely agree with.

I was referring to the writer of the article, and their endorsement of ebikes.. (abeit one particular classification). I think we're splitting hairs here Syncro.

Sept. 22, 2019, 10:54 a.m.

^^^ - probably CK, I just didn't get an overt feeling they didn't want to consider limitations.

On a different but related note, something I've noticed the past few times I've been out on the trails are the heavy wear marks on tight uphill switchbacks from people on ebikes. I'm guessing they're either in boost mode and givin'er or heaven forbid have throttles and are hard on the juice. I'm not outright opposed to ebikes, but I think it's worth pointing out that this is the exact sort of behaviour those opposed to ebikes have concerns with. On the flip side it's also worth mentioning that people on ebikes may not even realize what's going on when they're climbing. As ebikes get more popular, it's going to be important for people riding them to be aware of their impact and to practice good trail etiquette in order for everyone to get along smoothly.

Sept. 22, 2019, 8:51 p.m.

I've seen an ebiker crash up hill on Into the Mystic (which they shouldn't have been riding). Looked like they oversteered out of the corner due to the motor kicking in and they ended up off the bike and in the ditch. I can absolutely believe that there's extra wear being caused in places that it wouldn't have been before.

Sept. 23, 2019, 9:46 a.m.

Just ran into an a fellow mtber I know on the weekend, asked him where his emtb was? Said he sold it, thing was falling apart and couldn't handle the wear and tear from riding the shore. Aggressive rider yes, but have to say I was surprised to hear that.

Oct. 21, 2019, 1:27 p.m.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/ebikes-bc-sea-to-sky-trails-1.5328868

Oct. 21, 2019, 2:51 p.m.

Posted by: tashi

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/ebikes-bc-sea-to-sky-trails-1.5328868

Ya saw it this morning.  Whatever... did Rocky set this up or what? Now they are marketing to the "out of shape guys." I guess the "in shape" guys aren't really interested.

Oct. 24, 2019, 2:26 p.m.

Anyone industry folks have any insight on how ebike sales are going in BC? Would be kinda hilarious if they were under forecast and carrying rapidly depreciating inventory... probably the other way around unfortunately. Although they are still the vast minority of riders on the shore/Squamish it seems.

Oct. 24, 2019, 2:35 p.m.

Posted by: grambo

Anyone industry folks have any insight on how ebike sales are going in BC? Would be kinda hilarious if they were under forecast and carrying rapidly depreciating inventory... probably the other way around unfortunately. Although they are still the vast minority of riders on the shore/Squamish it seems.

From what I gather, they have been selling tons or road/commuters. The Mtb's not so much

Oct. 25, 2019, 9:07 a.m.

I've seen shop guys enjoying them and flipping them pretty quick. Nobody wants to get stuck with an old ebike.

Oct. 25, 2019, 8:57 p.m.

Posted by: craw

I've seen shop guys enjoying them and flipping them pretty quick. Nobody wants to get stuck with an old ebike.

Isn't that the truth. Can you imagine the maintenance on one of those? And judging by how long my phone batteries have faired, they will need to be replaced every two years. 

I still can't figure out why they don't use coil shocks, downhill forks and internal transmission hubs or gearboxes etc.

Oct. 25, 2019, 9:48 p.m.

Next step will be regeneration from braking and suspension travel. Slap a big dyno on that fork instead of using hydraulics.

Oct. 25, 2019, 10:25 p.m.

Maybe they can even get one of those screens that tells them where the power is going like a prius

Oct. 26, 2019, 10:23 a.m.

Posted by: RAHrider

Posted by: craw

Isn't that the truth. Can you imagine the maintenance on one of those? And judging by how long my phone batteries have faired, they will need to be replaced every two years. 

I still can't figure out why they don't use coil shocks, downhill forks and internal transmission hubs or gearboxes etc.

When you are pushing 500w thru a drivetrain I'm sure you don't get longevity out of components.