ebikes on the Shore

Sept. 8, 2019, 11:42 a.m.

Can’t we all just get along? A few regular bike riders act like complete dickheads, a few ebikers will ride like dickheads, I’ve never once been in anything remotely resembling an altercation verbal or otherwise. 

With regards to pedal assist we’ll all be signing a different tune when we are seventy. I’m busy areas just need up and down signs like on Fromme. Boom.

In the meantime let’s deal with the real problem out there, people that think I like their music!

Sept. 12, 2019, 12:59 p.m.

Really good article on Mtbr about e-mtb’s and their impact on our trails. Couldn’t figure out how to link to it but it is easy enough to find. Some will like it, and well, some will not.🤷‍♂️

Sept. 12, 2019, 1:11 p.m.

https://reviews.mtbr.com/understanding-e-bikes-in-downieville-and-the-lost-sierra

Sept. 12, 2019, 1:55 p.m.

Posted by: syncro

https://reviews.mtbr.com/understanding-e-bikes-in-downieville-and-the-lost-sierra

Thanks, owe you a beer sometime.

Sept. 12, 2019, 4:13 p.m.

Posted by: FLATCH

you must be new here ;)

Sept. 12, 2019, 6:04 p.m.

That article does a good job of re-iterating the advantages of e-bikes. 

Doesn’t seem to address any of the issues some of us are concerned with however.

Great description of life with an e-bike. Poor analysis of the impacts of e-bikes on bike trails.

Sept. 12, 2019, 6:20 p.m.

Posted by: tashi

That article does a good job of re-iterating the advantages of e-bikes. 

Doesn’t seem to address any of the issues some of us are concerned with however.

Great description of life with an e-bike. Poor analysis of the impacts of e-bikes on bike trails.

yeah, the article and "research" was a bit lacking. out of all the things I've read on the issues with ebikes, for the most part this thread has the best dialogue, info and possible solutions on how to deal with them effectively.

Sept. 13, 2019, 9:20 a.m.

Call it what it is. The article was a straight-up Ebike promo. You take a place that is dying for rec-economy rebooting, and they'll praise anything that provides a glimmer of hope. They don't even want to consider any limitation, when their main focus is expanding economic activity. Of course the trail society there is supporting them....it means economic benefit. Just the same way that the majority of Albertans deny climate changes is real or that humans cause it. People will always favor technologies that put money in their pocket, and avoid engaging in any real discussion of meaningful issues when their bank accounts are involved.

That being said, the article is not without merit. There are some legitimate points about enabling greater access. However, there were also several entirely unsupported points of speculation such as reducing traffic to trailheads. Um no. There will actually be more traffic, just traffic with ebikes. If you expand the rec-economy, you increase the traffic. No magic solution there, and we all see it day to day with people pulling their ebikes off their trucks at our local trails. As for low-impacts?...compared to what? Any study that compares ebikes to MTBs is flawed if it is assumes they will be ridden in the same manner. You can't just run  over the same piece of ground a few time, and say "look! no difference!". You actually have to look at the application of the tool over time, and we just are not there yet. 

However, when it comes to impacts, what of ebikes compared to mining or forestry? That may seem like a stretch, but the fact is that people are more likely to take steps to preserve and protect the environment if they spend time in it.  Expanding the range of recreation tourism even a small amount, can expose people to views of areas that they may otherwise never see.

It's not just a simple thing where it's all great (ebike marketers) or all evil (ebike haters).......it's actually an issue that deserves a bit of thought.....something many are reluctant to do.

Sept. 13, 2019, 11:56 a.m.

Posted by: cerealkilla_

They don't even want to consider any limitation

It's not just a simple thing where it's all great (ebike marketers) or all evil (ebike haters).......it's actually an issue that deserves a bit of thought.....something many are reluctant to do.

How did you get not considering any limitations? I only saw them supporting class 1 ebikes. That point kind of contradicts your last one which I entirely agree with.

Sept. 13, 2019, 1:40 p.m.

Posted by: FLATCH

you must be new here ;)

Still enjoying that occasional ROOT beer, syncro?

Sept. 13, 2019, 1:46 p.m.

The article is interesting - and the comment section is gold. It seems that some people understand the "bigger picture"and long term effects of the increase in sales, while others can not understand that.

Having travelled to the Alps four years in a row, I really noiced an even bigger increase in numbers this year. It is amazing, as in "wondering", even childrenˋs bikes had batteries and had pedal assist.

Sept. 13, 2019, 8:05 p.m.

I saw a kid (12-ish) riding an eMTB on Fromme a couple of months ago. His Mom was on some kind of e-beach cruiser kind of thing. I assume they were heading up to Grouse. The Dad was grinding it out on an old rigid MTB.

Last edited by: PaulB on Sept. 13, 2019, 8:05 p.m., edited 1 time in total.
Sept. 15, 2019, 2:14 p.m.

Ultimately, eBike development reminds me of the discussions we had when real full suspension bikes and fatter tires came along....and trail design changed to suit them.

Sept. 16, 2019, 3:01 a.m.

Posted by: mudrunner

Ultimately, eBike development reminds me of the discussions we had when real full suspension bikes and fatter tires came along....and trail design changed to suit them.

since these machines are here to stay, literally everywhere where there is a socket, people need to find solutions. simply stating "Banned!" might not work out in the lon run.

Sept. 16, 2019, 10:44 a.m.

Could see this coming...

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/cyclists-getting-ticketed-for-no-insurance-blame-confusing-e-bike-legislation-1.5278601