ebikes on the Shore

July 31, 2019, 2:15 p.m.

Well, one could always write a note of concern to the sponsors and marketing leaders to inform them that their product rep is rubbing a lot of people (and potential customers) the wrong way.

I mean if a person is not willing to have a reasonable conversation about safety and consideration, you can always go farther up the ladder.

July 31, 2019, 2:25 p.m.

Posted by: trumpstinyhands

Posted by: cerealkilla_

Anyways, still waiting for some responsible leadership on this.

You'll be waiting a long time. Reps gotta rep. When our local IG superstar 'Check em oot' promotes riding up the Plunge, I guess the shop and companies he reps for think it's perfectly acceptable for him to do this. To be honest if I had an E-bike I'd probably do the same.....but at 8am on a weekday morning and I wouldn't post if all over social media. There were moto rides on Boney Elbows the other morning before the hordes were out, but again they had the sense to do it early and probably weren't trying to sell magnetic bottle cages or whatever.

Link?

July 31, 2019, 3:10 p.m.

https://nsmb.com/forum/forum/the-shore-3/topic/e-bikes-they-work-130756/?page=7

See post from Sept 16 6:49AM

July 31, 2019, 5:16 p.m.

Posted by: cerealkilla_

Posted by: shore_flea

So, yup, it's likely only a matter of time before we have some sort of collision between an uphill motor-assisted rider and a descender.....ooops wait, I think that something like this may already have happened with a recent event in Squamish where two people on ebikes reportedly smacked into each other on the Mashiter as they were cooking along. Could just as easily have happened to two pedal-powered riders, but with the addition of the motor, there was (without argument) less time to avoid the collision.

extraordinary circumstances in that case and as far as I know only 1 rider was on an ebike. One was riding down the Mashiter with broken bike on his back and head down looking for waterbars and rocks. happened on a blind corner so like you say could have happened to anyone. good thing they were friends and got each other patched up.

Aug. 13, 2019, 2:20 p.m.

"Agreed. Now NSMBA has to step up to the plate and get something happening instead of this wait and see approach. At the very least big no ebikes acending on DH flow trails signage would be a great start. "

As a general rule, we (the NSMBA) don't control signage. We can (and do) advocate for signage or signage changes, consult on proposed signage, and provide other input for signage on DNV land, but we can't just go print signs and put 'em up.

Aug. 14, 2019, 6:45 a.m.

Posted by: cooperquinn

"Agreed. Now NSMBA has to step up to the plate and get something happening instead of this wait and see approach. At the very least big no ebikes acending on DH flow trails signage would be a great start. "

As a general rule, we (the NSMBA) don't control signage. We can (and do) advocate for signage or signage changes, consult on proposed signage, and provide other input for signage on DNV land, but we can't just go print signs and put 'em up.

The NSMBA doesn't put up those trail signs? I didn't know that.

Aug. 14, 2019, 7:05 a.m.

How about installing some directional tire spikes to keep trail traffic flowing in the correct direction?

Aug. 19, 2019, 11:10 a.m.

Silly Flater Earthers

https://www.instagram.com/p/B1WsGNoFqI8/?igshid=1moehbxqgdg92

Aug. 19, 2019, 1:04 p.m.

TAP signs yes. Trail signs not on CMHC land, no.

Aug. 20, 2019, 10:55 a.m.

Posted by: cooperquinn

TAP signs yes. Trail signs not on CMHC land, no.

There are new arrow signs posted on the Seymour climbing route (e.g. at the start of Cardiac Bypass).  Definitely helpful for visitors who can struggle to figure out it the first time, but they don't seem to match the rest of the official signage.  Someone helping out on their own?

Aug. 21, 2019, 12:44 a.m.

ebikes eh ??

https://bit.ly/2KMiYcb

Aug. 21, 2019, 10:07 a.m.

Posted by: TheWasp

ebikes eh ??

https://bit.ly/2KMiYcb

Finally you can watch MX racing without any of the fun or excitement.

Aug. 21, 2019, 11:20 a.m.

Holy. What a crock of shit.

Aug. 21, 2019, 11:43 a.m.

Funny that’s exactly where most of the haters would want to see ebikes ridden anyways...   whats the problem?

Today, on the 14 km paved road climb (pedalled my Reign)  to my local Italian DH trail, there were many mtb ebikes bombing down the road, including a top of the line Specialized something.  I was the only one riding the DH trail down.  Hilarious

Aug. 21, 2019, 12:01 p.m.

Ha cute, slow dirtbikes.

Question... Was driving the other day and clocked an ebike that looks like a motorcycle doing 55km. Had the this is an ebike plate on the back, sure looked like a streetbike.  Could see the little crank arms on the side, but wasn't pedaling. Obviously over 500w, easily obtainable. Wonder what the legal/insurance ramifications are if he gets involved in a vehicular accident. I notice drivers being confused by ebikes that look like motorbikes.