ebikes on the Shore

April 8, 2019, midnight

Posted by: grambo

Awesome to see UROC making an unequivocal statement for Cumberland Community Forest... Non-motorized = NO ebikes.

Correct me if I am wrong, but I am pretty sure the local Cumberland bike shops (Dodge City and Beaufort) both rent Emopeds. It sucks when an organization like UROC sets a high standard and yet their initiative is flaunted.

April 8, 2019, 12:28 a.m.

Posted by: cerealkilla_

And don't think the bespectacled protectors of the frogs who hate all bikes aren't just rubbing their grubby little hands together...

Awesome post that perfectly sums up my feelings and fears on this subject. Nothing to do with getting passed by ebikers (I personally don't give a shit, but I worry about perception by other user groups getting dusted by these guys on Old Buck/BP(s)/single track).

Awesome to see UROC making an unequivocal statement for Cumberland Community Forest... Non-motorized = NO ebikes.

I also agree with cerealkilla_ like it or not ebikes are a sub category of mountain bikes and we need to work together to maintain trail access.

April 8, 2019, 10:16 a.m.

Posted by: fartymarty

I also agree with cerealkilla_ like it or not ebikes are a sub category of mountain bikes and we need to work together to maintain trail access.

I live on the other side of the globe, and yes, I really think that no matter what and how an indiviual feels about ebikes...they are here to stay, and so all the initiatives and clubs and law makers need to find a way, be it a ban or a compromise in form of multi-use.

April 8, 2019, 12:41 p.m.

Posted by: Ddean

Sorry, my mistake. But my concern is that if the MTB community lobbys against ebikes and convinces the powers that be that they’re dirt bikes and those who make decisions believe that, what will we tell the powers that be is the best way to police them?

Without that answer, it’s a risky discussion to have.

This is a point I've always brought up and have never heard a reasonable answer for. There is no practical way to enforce any rules around ebikes, at least in the areas we ride on the coast of BC. Outside of parks land where you could pay rangers to stand at trailheads and stop/fine ebikes, who is going to enforce on DNV/crown/private (woodlot/Diamond Head) etc. land? With other motorized like dirtbikes/trials it's really an honour system and code of conduct in the communities. Also it's hilarious when ebike proponents bring up the class 1/2/3 BS. Do you expect land managers to pay people to stand at trailheads and inspect bikes to see if they have been modded for more power/throttle? Not happening. 

The only outcomes are either ebikes are accepted and ridden everywhere (most likely) or they are outright banned along with mountain bikes (due to inability to distinguish/enforce).

April 8, 2019, 1:06 p.m.

Sorry, my mistake. But my concern is that if the MTB community lobbys against ebikes and convinces the powers that be that they’re dirt bikes and those who make decisions believe that, what will we tell the powers that be is the best way to police them?

This is a point I've always brought up and have never heard a reasonable answer for. There is no practical way to enforce any rules around ebikes, at least in the areas we ride on the coast of BC. Outside of parks land where you could pay rangers to stand at trailheads and stop/fine ebikes, who is going to enforce on DNV/crown/private (woodlot/Diamond Head) etc. land? With other motorized like dirtbikes/trials it's really an honour system and code of conduct in the communities. Also it's hilarious when ebike proponents bring up the class 1/2/3 BS. Do you expect land managers to pay people to stand at trailheads and inspect bikes to see if they have been modded for more power/throttle? Not happening. 

The only outcomes are either ebikes are accepted and ridden everywhere (most likely) or they are outright banned along with mountain bikes (due to inability to distinguish/enforce).

Good post. This has been talked about before, the whole situation is messy.  I'm just pretty sure a few years down the road the crank sets on them is just going to be for looks, pretty much there already.

April 8, 2019, 1:26 p.m.

^Land managers will just offload the cost to the user groups. Picture a manned booth on Fromme where a rider pays a per day fee or has a seasons pass to the area.

April 8, 2019, 1:38 p.m.

Good luck with that on Fromme with all the different access points.

April 8, 2019, 2:13 p.m.

Posted by: Brocklanders I'm just pretty sure a few years down the road the crank sets on them is just going to be for looks, pretty much there already.

this would be a sweet shore shredder, no?

April 8, 2019, 2:34 p.m.

The point where cycling turns into motorsport... this above pic^^

Looks fun for sure. Can't wait to tear up the trails on one.

April 8, 2019, 4:19 p.m.

I’d assume it would have to be the same as it is now: social pressure to not break the posted rules and sometimes people call the authorities.

Not prefect but perfect is impractical.

April 8, 2019, 4:34 p.m.

Posted by: earleb

Roll it into North Van residents property taxes then. 

Nanaimo Lakes Rd has a manned booth. Was $2 last time I was up there. Access to Brandywine is $20/sled. 

Point is there is currently usage fees for other user groups.

April 8, 2019, 4:39 p.m.

Posted by: tashi

I’d assume it would have to be the same as it is now: social pressure to not break the posted rules and sometimes people call the authorities.

but what do you do if the social norm switches from pedal to ebike? 

40yrs ago the social norm was to only hike in the forest, not bike.

April 8, 2019, 6:30 p.m.

Accept that things have changed, stop volunteering my time cutting and maintaining trails in official areas and do more poaching I guess.

April 9, 2019, 9:49 a.m.

Posted by: Endur-Bro

Posted by: earleb

Roll it into North Van residents property taxes then. 

Nanaimo Lakes Rd has a manned booth. Was $2 last time I was up there. Access to Brandywine is $20/sled. 

Point is there is currently usage fees for other user groups.

I am all good letting DNV tax payers that it on, I pay taxes in the CNV :)

Both of those mentioned are single point access, my point was that Fromme has a boat load of access points and it would be futile to try collect a daily user fee from just one or two spots. People are just going to change their habits and avoid the fee.

April 9, 2019, 9:56 a.m.

Posted by: tashi

A problem with this is that our sport was basically built on disobeying the rules. NO trails back in the day were "legal" or sanctioned for bikes. EVERYONE rode anyway. Look at all the riding on unauthorized trails today. Someone out riding the darkside on their pedal bike is going to call in the dudes riding on their ebikes? Neither of them are supposed to be there.

We're down an ugly rabbit hole here. Anyone know the motto of the Jackson Hole Airforce? Swift, Silent, and Deep. If ebikes are banned from trails there will be a lot of riders taking up that motto.

Last edited by: earleb on April 9, 2019, 9:56 a.m., edited 1 time in total.