ebikes on the Shore

March 18, 2019, 11:45 p.m.

Done.

Saw another e-moped on my local trail the other day. Ripping uphill on single track around blind corners. Buddy did 3 laps, each time up the downhill trail at mach speed.

Very loud motorized whirring noise, and no pedalling whatsoever that I saw.

Actually had a chance to talk to the guy afterwards at trail head, lights were on but definitely nobody home. Haibike, vomit in your mouth ugly. Paid 8k for it and fucking STOKED.

Last edited by: Hepcat on March 18, 2019, 11:47 p.m., edited 1 time in total.
March 19, 2019, 6:35 a.m.

That guy should go someplace like McNutt in Maple Ridge to burn around on his motobike scooter.

March 22, 2019, 7:03 p.m.

No, you must wrong. Dude was pedaling, you just didn’t see it because you were blinded by prejudice. 

E-bikes are pedal ASSIST only, remember?

March 23, 2019, 8:21 p.m.

I read a shrewd review of ebikes the other day. The guy had very specific instructions on how to ride it before he demoed it. They told him to put it in an easy gear and spin away and let the motor do all the work. It was then that I understood the reality of an Eassist moped as simply a motor bike with the throttle in the pedals. From his description, the experience is nothing like biking as you don't actually modulate your effort or pressure on the pedals to any effect. You just keep them spinning so to activate the motor. Kind of a stupid motor bike that instead of a regular throttle makes you act like a jackass and pedal real quick. I hope this fad dies fast.

March 23, 2019, 8:34 p.m.

^Kranked Bikes have a throttle mode or some stupid shit. 

Everyone else just buys cheap hardware from China to bypass the whole pedalling thing. 

Too bad Alta MX went belly up. That showed how stupid e-Mtn bikes are. https://youtu.be/q2J5TJxOdwU

Honda just showed off an e-MX bike in Tokyo. KTM just needs to put the e-motor in a frame that isn’t the Freeride (67°HTA 😂)

March 24, 2019, 12:47 a.m.

Posted by: tashi

No, you must wrong. Dude was pedaling, you just didn’t see it because you were blinded by prejudice. 

Not sure if serious...🧐 

Does bring up a point though. E-mopeds are such different animals from mtb's it's a bit difficult to tell what exactly's going on with them while climbing. Sitting upright, resting easy and motoring uphill at 20mph looks..odd.

Whereas mountain bikers on steep climbs are clawing away with everything they've got, head down, making embarrassing animal sounds at about-to-fall-over speeds.

Anyhow, dude I watched didn't seem to be pedalling at all. Maybe I was wrong. I'm hoping not to see him up there again to verify.

March 24, 2019, 12:06 p.m.

Posted by: Hepcat

Posted by: tashi

Not sure if serious...🧐

Does bring up a point though. E-mopeds are such different animals from mtb's it's a bit difficult to tell what exactly's going on with them while climbing. Sitting upright, resting easy and motoring uphill at 20mph looks..odd.

Whereas mountain bikers on steep climbs are clawing away with everything they've got, head down, making embarrassing animal sounds at about-to-fall-over speeds.

Anyhow, dude I watched didn't seem to be pedalling at all. Maybe I was wrong. I'm hoping not to see him up there again to verify.

100% sarcasm.

We embrace these things at our peril.

Doesn’t matter how they’re marketed, those things aren’t used for mountain biking, they’re for motorbikin on mountain bike trails.

Last edited by: tashi on March 24, 2019, 12:21 p.m., edited 1 time in total.
March 24, 2019, 5:48 p.m.

Ran into a guy at the end of my ride today on Fromme going up Dreamweaver on a Ebike.  Told him he was not welcome, and everyone I meet gets the same lip.  If you can't go up you can't go down, and never was there any assist in the up with Fromme.  Saw an older couple exit Braemar....both on Ebikes.......older ones I guess I could give a pass but the slippery slope...

Since when was mountain biking the Shore a right rather than a privilege you had to earn?  Ah....age of entitlement.    

I suppose self policing is the only way this is going to work itself out..that is, if we all as a group agree Ebikes are wrong and not welcome, then those whom that have them will eventually move somewhere else or not ride (which is most likely for the best).  I don't like them and think that they are cheating, and I call the users of them out.  Shame works if it is continuous.  My latest bike was bought on the premise it makes the up easier (hardtail) and I am under no illusion that there is going to be a day when I can't do this any more.  But until then it will be earning my gain.

March 24, 2019, 7:10 p.m.

Wow. Judge and jury all in one confrontational package. I dont see the point of e-bikes either, but as of right now, they have just as much right to use those trails as you do. People demonstrating the attitude you are displaying are not going to help with the situation. Call them out if they are doing something that goes against normal trail etiquette, I have no problem with that. How about striking up a conversation asking why they have adopted E-biking instead of being a dick about it?  Maybe you will see another point of view that you hadnt considered.

Last edited by: shoreboy on March 24, 2019, 7:11 p.m., edited 1 time in total.
March 24, 2019, 8:03 p.m.

Do they really have "as much right to use those trails"?  Are Fromme trails motorized vehicle friendly?

March 24, 2019, 11:11 p.m.

Mountain biking is the new golf, ebikes are the golf carts

March 25, 2019, 4:54 a.m.

Posted by: blackfly

Ran into a guy at the end of my ride today on Fromme going up Dreamweaver on a Ebike. Told him he was not welcome, and everyone I meet gets the same lip. If you can't go up you can't go down, and never was there any assist in the up with Fromme. Saw an older couple exit Braemar....both on Ebikes.......older ones I guess I could give a pass but the slippery slope...

Since when was mountain biking the Shore a right rather than a privilege you had to earn? Ah....age of entitlement.

I suppose self policing is the only way this is going to work itself out..that is, if we all as a group agree Ebikes are wrong and not welcome, then those whom that have them will eventually move somewhere else or not ride (which is most likely for the best). I don't like them and think that they are cheating, and I call the users of them out. Shame works if it is continuous. My latest bike was bought on the premise it makes the up easier (hardtail) and I am under no illusion that there is going to be a day when I can't do this any more. But until then it will be earning my gain.

I don’t ride an ebike, I am however developing osteo arthritis in my knees and there will come a day when I will have to give up the hobby that I love most in life. Now that said I almost certainly will be on an ebike to extend my love of the sport. I will absolutely ride ALL the same trails I do now. If you or any others want to give me”lip” you can kiss my ass!

Don’t judge a man until you’ve walked a mile in his shoes.

Last edited by: FLATCH on March 25, 2019, 5:03 a.m., edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Dislike of narrow mindedness
March 25, 2019, 4:58 a.m.

Nothing gives you the right to judge anybody unless you know their situation. Now if you catch someone acting like an ass hat on any of our trails feel welcome to chastise them for poor behaviour, until then mind your own business.

March 25, 2019, 6:22 a.m.

Riding a motor bike on mountain bike trails qualifies a poor behavior in my mind.

Last edited by: tashi on March 25, 2019, 6:27 a.m., edited 1 time in total.
March 25, 2019, 7:37 a.m.

To each their own.⛰👮‍♀️