ebikes on the Shore

Jan. 16, 2019, 11:58 a.m.

So will Strava be adding an e-bike option to distinguish between climbing performances?

Jan. 16, 2019, 12:45 p.m.

There already is. But up to the user to pick it obviously

Jan. 16, 2019, 7:45 p.m.

Posted by: Brocklanders

Wow did this thing every go up in flames.

https://www.pinkbike.com/news/video-bike-explodes-as-aftermarket-motor-catches-fire.html

I love this! His e moped exploded. Thank you for sharing.

Glad he wasn't hurt but not sad to see an emoped explode

Jan. 17, 2019, 12:45 p.m.

Harley Davidson and Maxim giving the finger to trail access advocates everywhere.

HARLEY-DAVIDSON UNLEASHES 2 NEW ELECTRIC MOUNTAIN BIKE CONCEPTS, "pedal less mountain bikes".

Or as I like to call it, the worst of both worlds.

Last edited by: craw on Jan. 17, 2019, 12:47 p.m., edited 3 times in total.
Jan. 17, 2019, 1:25 p.m.

Posted by: craw

Harley Davidson and Maxim giving the finger to trail access advocates everywhere.

HARLEY-DAVIDSON UNLEASHES 2 NEW ELECTRIC MOUNTAIN BIKE CONCEPTS, "pedal less mountain bikes".

The pendelecs are just the wedge in the door. Will be interesting to see how the bike industry reacts to the motorbike industry making these things, branding them a bicycle. Who is going to spend the day at the trailheads regulating what ebikes are permitted on trails and those that are not? Now one sees why places like Moab said no motors of any kind, they could see this coming.

Last edited by: Brocklanders on Jan. 17, 2019, 1:47 p.m., edited 1 time in total.
Jan. 21, 2019, 12:23 p.m.

The pendelecs are just the wedge in the door. Will be interesting to see how the bike industry reacts to the motorbike industry making these things, branding them a bicycle. Who is going to spend the day at the trailheads regulating what ebikes are permitted on trails and those that are not? Now one sees why places like Moab said no motors of any kind, they could see this coming.

Obviously the ebike riders and online advocates are going to form actual advocacy groups and work hand in hand with MTB advocacy groups to deal with this issue, education and enforcement, right? Oh wait... crickets.

Jan. 21, 2019, 12:31 p.m.

I wasn't going to say anything but do you not see how Maxim has completely butchered and misconstrued the HD product? Especially the headline? There's no way that's a bicycle of any kind - no pedals, no ability to pedal, throttle control - that's an electric dirt bike. Same for the scooter model, it's an electric scooter.

The irony here is that when the shoe is on the other foot people are bringing up inaccurate reporting in the media and talking about inflammatory headlines.

Jan. 21, 2019, 5:12 p.m.

Posted by: syncro

I wasn't going to say anything but do you not see how Maxim has completely butchered and misconstrued the HD product? Especially the headline? There's no way that's a bicycle of any kind - no pedals, no ability to pedal, throttle control - that's an electric dirt bike. Same for the scooter model, it's an electric scooter.

The irony here is that when the shoe is on the other foot people are bringing up inaccurate reporting in the media and talking about inflammatory headlines.

Your version of motorbike and mine are different I guess. The guy riding up the Hyannis climb from Fishermans yesterday on Divinci ebike was absolutely ripping uphill. Just because it has a crankset instead of pegs doesn't mean it's not a motorbike.

Jan. 21, 2019, 5:34 p.m.

Your version of motorbike and mine are different I guess. The guy riding up the Hyannis climb from Fishermans yesterday on Divinci ebike was absolutely ripping uphill. Just because it has a crankset instead of pegs doesn't mean it's not a motorbike.

For sure we don't 100% agree and there's probably no point getting into an argument on the semantics on that. However the article that Craw linked to is nowhere in the same realm as a pedal assist ebike. To try and cloud the issue with that sort of misinformation and establish some sort of equivalency is disingenuous. Like I said, put the same spin on different topic and a lot of people here would be howling in protest about it being a bad article.

Edit:
By the way, was the guy riding uphill being a dick? Was he buzzing other riders, not giving enough space when passing or not announcing his passing? If so I would have yelled at him to check his behaviour. If not and he was respecting other users and the trails then what's the issue?

Last edited by: syncro on Jan. 21, 2019, 5:37 p.m., edited 2 times in total.
Jan. 21, 2019, 5:37 p.m.

Posted by: syncro

Agree with you that these things are more like motor bikes than bicycles.  The 6 dudes on e-bikes who passed us on No Quarter where definitely roosting up rocks. Whoever says that e-bikes don't do any more trail damage than  bicycles doesn't know what they are talking about.

March 18, 2019, 2:08 p.m.

Do the NSMBA survey, Let them know how you feel about the e-mopeds in the comment section.

https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSevcDeWe0jPi3Sspd-DHKGipBthBmwevHqeoqiPNTxexPEJ8A/viewform?ct=t()

March 18, 2019, 11:45 p.m.

Done.

Saw another e-moped on my local trail the other day. Ripping uphill on single track around blind corners. Buddy did 3 laps, each time up the downhill trail at mach speed.

Very loud motorized whirring noise, and no pedalling whatsoever that I saw.

Actually had a chance to talk to the guy afterwards at trail head, lights were on but definitely nobody home. Haibike, vomit in your mouth ugly. Paid 8k for it and fucking STOKED.

Last edited by: Hepcat on March 18, 2019, 11:47 p.m., edited 1 time in total.
March 19, 2019, 6:35 a.m.

That guy should go someplace like McNutt in Maple Ridge to burn around on his motobike scooter.

March 22, 2019, 7:03 p.m.

No, you must wrong. Dude was pedaling, you just didn’t see it because you were blinded by prejudice. 

E-bikes are pedal ASSIST only, remember?

March 23, 2019, 8:21 p.m.

I read a shrewd review of ebikes the other day. The guy had very specific instructions on how to ride it before he demoed it. They told him to put it in an easy gear and spin away and let the motor do all the work. It was then that I understood the reality of an Eassist moped as simply a motor bike with the throttle in the pedals. From his description, the experience is nothing like biking as you don't actually modulate your effort or pressure on the pedals to any effect. You just keep them spinning so to activate the motor. Kind of a stupid motor bike that instead of a regular throttle makes you act like a jackass and pedal real quick. I hope this fad dies fast.