ebikes on the Shore

June 17, 2022, 9:20 a.m.

Posted by: DanL

Is anyone aware of how E-unicycles fit into any of the motorised vehicle/bike/whatever framework as I see a trio regularly riding on Fromme these days

They are not legal/authorized under any of the Class 1 e-bike stuff. I'd say they are essentially the same as Class 3 e-bike although technically not the same for any legal/trail access purposes. The reality is once you allow folks with motors on the trails policing which specific type of motorized devices are okay and which are not becomes practically impossible [within reason].

I'm not a fan of e-bikes, but if Class 1 are legal on the local trails and someone rides a Class 2 or Class 3 or even a electric unicycle/one wheel on the trails I'm not going to spend my time worrying/doing anything about it and there are no official trail cops enforcing stuff like that.

Last edited by: Vikb on June 17, 2022, 9:21 a.m., edited 1 time in total.
June 17, 2022, 9:35 a.m.

in a geeky past life I raced RC cars for a bit and some mad scientist types started showing up in the gas classes with brushless motors and LIPO batteries... it was not long before they had to charge in some sort of metal chain type of bag to protect from the explosions etc... one guy in particular wore full face shields and gloves when he was handling the battery while charging...

I am sure they are better now but some dude on the DTES with a jerry rigged e-bike sounds like a disaster waiting to happen.

June 17, 2022, 11:37 a.m.

Posted by: Sethimus

Posted by: craw

Can anyone comment on life on a Levo SL?

wait for the new one…

Can't wait to see how much that costs lol. The high end Specialized ones are so deep into WTF pricing.

June 17, 2022, 12:25 p.m.

^currently @ $19.6kCAD. waiting from someone to finally crack the $20k glass ceiling...

June 18, 2022, 2:25 a.m.

wait for the new one…

Can't wait to see how much that costs lol. The high end Specialized ones are so deep into WTF pricing.

with the non sl ones you pay for all the replacement motors…

June 21, 2022, 8:09 a.m.

wait for the new one…

What do you mean? Motors aren't covered under warranty?

June 21, 2022, 8:28 a.m.

Spesh says 3rd party components warrantied by manufacturer --> https://www.specialized.com/uy/en/warranty

You'd have to see how long a motor or battery is covered.

June 21, 2022, 8:48 a.m.

wait for the new one…

I think what he’s saying is that if a bike manufacturer or motor or battery manufacturer is replacing these components under warranty, you’ve already paid up front for replacements. When you buy the bike you’ve paid for the replacement parts up front.

June 21, 2022, 8:55 a.m.

Posted by: xy9ine

^currently @ $19.6kCAD. waiting from someone to finally crack the $20k glass ceiling...

jebus.

I don't recognize this sport anymore.

June 21, 2022, 8:59 a.m.

Posted by: Couch_Surfer

jebus.

I don't recognize this sport anymore.

That ^^ thought comes to my mind a lot these days.

June 21, 2022, 11:38 a.m.

you can get an alloy Stumpjumper (not e) pretty cheap...  don't have to spend that much.

June 21, 2022, 4:42 p.m.

wait for the new one…

the levo motors need to be changed quite often. this is priced in, hence the high prices. dealer usually has a few motors in stock, claim in the morning, confirmed by midday, replaced in the afternoon, replacement motor arrives next morning. repeat

problem are the brose motors. the sl motors (made by mahle) are way better, they only tend to get even louder with age. 

expect some 50% power increase, s- sizing, battery size stays the same

Last edited by: Sethimus on June 21, 2022, 4:45 p.m., edited 1 time in total.
June 21, 2022, 5:23 p.m.

wait for the new one…

the levo motors need to be changed quite often. this is priced in, hence the high prices. dealer usually has a few motors in stock, claim in the morning, confirmed by midday, replaced in the afternoon, replacement motor arrives next morning. repeat

problem are the brose motors. the sl motors (made by mahle) are way better, they only tend to get even louder with age.

So the price is insane, the motors don't last (hope you can get replacements when you need them), everything on the bike wears out a lot faster due to the extra weight. Great work capitalism.

All stuff on bikes is engineered and optimized for normal sized people so there is no way this stuff will survive under me. Certainly not at the level of performance, durability or maintenance level I would expect for that kind of money.

Last edited by: craw on June 21, 2022, 5:26 p.m., edited 1 time in total.
June 21, 2022, 6:26 p.m.

The jealousy was high this weekend with a buddy and his Kenevo Expert with a Boxxer on it.   Did that ever bring back memories of braapp with the Kawasaki!

But we didn't let him shuttle with us.  Had to climb with the pedalers in the group.

June 21, 2022, 9:06 p.m.

wait for the new one…

So the price is insane, the motors don't last (hope you can get replacements when you need them), everything on the bike wears out a lot faster due to the extra weight. Great work capitalism.

All stuff on bikes is engineered and optimized for normal sized people so there is no way this stuff will survive under me. Certainly not at the level of performance, durability or maintenance level I would expect for that kind of money.

Increased wear isn’t really the weight. It’s the extra power and extra kilometres. If you’re riding twice as far, or whatever it is, under more power than you can normally provide things wear out sooner. Even t my under 140 pound weight when I was racing, I went through parts at a mad rate due to the distances I rode.