ebikes on the Shore

July 26, 2019, 5:18 p.m.

48kg, wow, not getting pedalled anywhere. Not even with a tailwind.

July 27, 2019, 6:30 a.m.

Posted by: mtbman99

This is the issue with ebikes how do you stop these guys vs specific categories.

You aren't going to stop them. It's got pedals and so it's good to go.

July 27, 2019, 7:42 a.m.

Posted by: Vikb

Posted by: mtbman99

This is the issue with ebikes how do you stop these guys vs specific categories.

You aren't going to stop them. It's got pedals and so it's good to go.

It’s only legal if it’s pedal assist, so no it’s not ready to go. Go read some of their comments most guys run them no chain or  rear d. Pedals are to make it appear street legal. Those bikes are not legal in most places without proper insurance.

Last edited by: FLATCH on July 27, 2019, 7:47 a.m., edited 1 time in total.
July 27, 2019, 8:14 a.m.

Legal Schmegal

Laws on paper don't apply on the trails unless someone is going to enforce them

July 27, 2019, 8:35 a.m.

Posted by: taprider

Legal Schmegal

Laws on paper don't apply on the trails unless someone is going to enforce them

And the enforcers are currently riding e-bikes!  Lol

July 27, 2019, 9:29 a.m.

Then this whole thread is a mute point. Total free for all.🤘

July 27, 2019, 10:19 a.m.

I think the regulations on trails are largely self-enforced, ie: the users community standard tends to determine what people do, not formal enforcement and oversight by the authorities. This is why I believe it’s important that we, as the mountain bike community, decide if we want to accept mountain mopeds as mountain bikes or treat them as something different. 

That’s what the productive part of this thread is about to me - the name calling, whataboutism and proposals for extensive, nuanced and enforced regulation are largely extraneous.

July 27, 2019, 11:14 a.m.

Posted by: tashi

I think the regulations on trails are largely self-enforced, ie: the users community standard tends to determine what people do, not formal enforcement and oversight by the authorities. This is why I believe it’s important that we, as the mountain bike community, decide if we want to accept mountain mopeds as mountain bikes or treat them as something different. 

That’s what the productive part of this thread is about to me - the name calling, whataboutism and proposals for extensive, nuanced and enforced regulation are largely extraneous.

I agree that some regs are self-enforced, but I think that comes down to knowledge of the regs and the perceived risk . I tend to disagree though that the rule has to be an all or none, I think there is some room for a compromise to be made. There are lots of nuanced rules now that seem to work relatively ok.

July 27, 2019, 11:29 a.m.

Posted by: FLATCH

Then this whole thread is a mute point. Total free for all.🤘

Looks like that is what will go down. How does one tell an ebike which is over this imaginary line? I don't own one but please do tell. I will leave the self regulation to the ebikers. 

Maybe this whole coming issue is reason why BLM land managers in the USA said no ebikes? They could see this coming?

July 27, 2019, 11:36 a.m.

Posted by: syncro

Posted by: tashi

I agree that some regs are self-enforced, but I think that comes down to knowledge of the regs and the perceived risk . I tend to disagree though that the rule has to be an all or none, I think there is some room for a compromise to be made. There are lots of nuanced rules now that seem to work relatively ok.

That’s why I said “largely” self-enforced.

July 27, 2019, 11:39 a.m.

Where does the Kranked e-bike kits fall into this? 

Sounds like some of these e-bike liberal cucks need some teaching via fists 👊🏽

July 27, 2019, 11:45 a.m.

Posted by: Endur-Bro

Where does the Kranked e-bike kits fall into this? 

Sounds like some of these e-bike liberal cucks need some teaching via fists 👊🏽

Falls into the same mindset as that we aren't supposed to ride Darkside. Well who is going to stop me? Going to be interesting to come back to this thread in a few years.

July 27, 2019, 11:46 a.m.

Posted tashi

yeah, I got that part. you seem to have been none at all when it comes to ebikes tho. any suggestions of your own as to where a compromise might be made?

July 27, 2019, 11:49 a.m.

Posted by: Brocklanders

Falls into the same mindset as that we aren't supposed to ride Darkside. Well who is going to stop me? Going to be interesting to come back to this thread in a few years.

That’s one thing that makes this debate interesting. Some of the loudest opponents of ebikes seem to feel it’s ok to ride wherever the want.

July 27, 2019, 11:55 a.m.

Posted by: syncro

Posted tashi

yeah, I got that part. you seem to have been none at all when it comes to ebikes tho. any suggestions of your own as to where a compromise might be made?

As I’ve suggested in previous posts, I want them excluded from mountain bike trails until they advocate for access. Compromise can come out of that process. Exactly like what we had to do to get our official access.