ebikes on the Shore

July 26, 2019, 12:33 a.m.

Posted by: FLATCH

Even the steepest road climbs don’t really compare to steep single track. Pretty much impossible to climb anywhere near top speed, not even half speed.

I know, but my point is that you only need to push ~80 watts to use the full 250w of the motor. The resulting 330w is more than enough sustained power power to basically eliminate climbing as we know it.

July 26, 2019, 6:13 a.m.

Posted by: trumpstinyhands

Posted by: Ddean

NSMBA will have to wrap its head around the fact that its average riders use of the trails may increase A LOT (due to more laps per person) but that's its puzzle to figure out.

Why is it up to under-resourced trail organisations to figure out the puzzle? People doing the extra riding should get off their bikes (E or otherwise) and help. It's not someone else's problem. If we don't collectively look after the trails, they all be fucked. That's my issue with E bikes.

You’re making an assumption that they don’t. Some e-bikers already belong to trail orgs. I really don’t get why so many think that because you ride an e-bike that you must be a fat,lazy,irresponsible dushbag. The stance some are taking is only going to discourage riders from having anything to do with volunteering their time.

Last edited by: FLATCH on July 26, 2019, 6:33 a.m., edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Because I went a little far,(no coffee yet, woke a little cranky)
July 26, 2019, 6:18 a.m.

https://www.specialized.com/us/en/shop/bikes/turbo-e-bikes-its-you-only-faster/c/ebikes

Now 45k an hour! So obviously specialized could care less about trying to keep the peace. What a surprise.

Last edited by: Brocklanders on July 26, 2019, 6:22 a.m., edited 1 time in total.
July 26, 2019, 6:27 a.m.

Posted by: Brocklanders

https://www.specialized.com/us/en/shop/bikes/turbo-e-bikes-its-you-only-faster/c/ebikes

Now 45k an hour! So obviously specialized could care less bout trying to keep the peace. What a surprise.

Can’t find where you get 45k from,where did you read that. Either way mtb’s are still regulated. Besides I don’t get how you think you could go that speed up a trail. Just not possible.

Last edited by: FLATCH on July 26, 2019, 6:30 a.m., edited 1 time in total.
July 26, 2019, 6:39 a.m.

Now 45k an hour! So obviously specialized could care less bout trying to keep the peace. What a surprise.

Can’t find where you get 45k from,where did you read that. Either way mtb’s are still regulated. Besides I don’t get how you think you could go that speed up a trail. Just not possible.

Found it. Not really surprised for a road bike. But if you want to talk about road bikes I think there is a forum for that. You should stick with apples to apples.

July 26, 2019, 8 a.m.

It’s up to the people who maintain the trails to adapt to changes, or not.

Changes are happening all the time - ebikes are just one potential pressure, but the associations have had to adapt to increased ridership even before ebikes. 

And everyone should be pitching in the associations with maintenance. I guess the alternative is fees increase, but since membership is “voluntary” that’s tougher to play out.

July 26, 2019, 8:16 a.m.

Exactly. 

One way of adapting is to discourage motorized use on the trails that they manage. 

For myself, my membership dues will depend on if this is the adaption they choose or not.

July 26, 2019, 8:24 a.m.

Found it. Not really surprised for a road bike. But if you want to talk about road bikes I think there is a forum for that. You should stick with apples to apples.

So what happened to the 32KM max for that class of bike? That's my point. That's only a 250W motor, on the "Turbo Levos" once the 500W become the norm it's going to be a shit show. To be clear I don't want to stop anyone from riding an ebike on the trails, but where the tech is going to be in the next few years I'm not optimistic about the outcome. Anyways, enjoy the weeknd.

July 26, 2019, 1:46 p.m.

This is the issue with ebikes how do you stop these guys vs specific categories.

https://youtu.be/VWTA05zAm3Y

July 26, 2019, 3:45 p.m.

Posted by: mtbman99

This is the issue with ebikes how do you stop these guys vs specific categories.

First off, it’s not a pedalec. And flat out not an e-mtb. It’s throttled and unrestricted. I would have an issue with that as well.

And no, i wouldn’t call it a slippery slope. Again apples to oranges. No different than stoping dirt bikes. Only reason it has pedals is to bend laws about insurance and such.

Last edited by: FLATCH on July 26, 2019, 3:47 p.m., edited 1 time in total.
July 26, 2019, 3:49 p.m.

This is stuff covered back on the first few pages.

July 26, 2019, 3:52 p.m.

Yes we see it as that but the broader public may not. I was sent this video from a coworker saying that he would love to take something like that out on our local trails. He is unaware of the current debate and general discussion within the MTB community. It has pedals therefore its an ebike.

July 26, 2019, 3:57 p.m.

Well now is your time to help educate. Call it a teachable moment. Anyone with half a brain can see its apples and oranges. I think legislators are smart enough to see the difference. Even serious haters surely can see the difference. Personally I think it’s reaching a little bit.

Last edited by: FLATCH on July 26, 2019, 3:59 p.m., edited 1 time in total.
July 26, 2019, 4:01 p.m.

A little like comparing a Smartcar to an F-350.

July 26, 2019, 4:25 p.m.

Yes I took the time to explain. 

The difference is not quite as extreme as you’re smart car F350 example. That bike had mtb parts all over it.