ebikes on the Shore

May 3, 2019, 6:13 p.m.

Posted by: craw

Putting in the work is what it's all about. The idea that you can now buy your way out of putting in the work but still want to claim that it's the same activity really bothers me.

Do you ride park?

May 3, 2019, 6:52 p.m.

I gots to say when a couple of riders I follow on Instagram did some e-bike promos I was pretty dismayed. Echo the above comment "How could you?"

May 3, 2019, 7:17 p.m.

Putting in the work is what it's all about. The idea that you can now buy your way out of putting in the work but still want to claim that it's the same activity really bothers me.

That’s your ego talking. 

You have to reconcile why it bothers you how someone gets to the top. It’s the same thing when commuting by ebike or pedal bike, why does it matter? It matters because humans are inherently competitive and someone “beating” you is especially bothersome if you perceive them to be somehow cheating.  

Ride your own ride and if people are being asshats then feel free to call them out for it, otherwise have fun and don’t let someone else’s choice ruin you day.

May 4, 2019, 8:58 a.m.

Posted by: FLATCH

Do you ride park?

no

May 4, 2019, 9:04 a.m.

Posted by: syncro

That’s your ego talking. 

You have to reconcile why it bothers you how someone gets to the top. It’s the same thing when commuting by ebike or pedal bike, why does it matter? It matters because humans are inherently competitive and someone “beating” you is especially bothersome if you perceive them to be somehow cheating.  

Ride your own ride and if people are being asshats then feel free to call them out for it, otherwise have fun and don’t let someone else’s choice ruin you day.

Indeed. People can do what they like. Shuttling doesn't bother me, nor to chairlifts. But then again those people aren't out proselytizing are they? 

Commuting is different. It has different requirements - get to work quicker, less sweaty. Perfect.

May 4, 2019, 11:41 a.m.

That’s your ego talking. 

Indeed. People can do what they like. Shuttling doesn't bother me, nor to chairlifts. But then again those people aren't out proselytizing are they? 

Commuting is different. It has different requirements - get to work quicker, less sweaty. Perfect.

I think it’s fair to say both sides of the coin do ALOT of proselytizing.

May 4, 2019, 12:04 p.m.

Well shuttling has pretty much always been around and there was a time when shuttling was hated on in a similar manner and for similar reasons that ebikers get flack. Chairlifts and a bike park are a different beast tho imo simply because it's a paid activity. On commuting I agree, but I'll admit I love chasing down ebikers and passing them on my commute, especially on some of the hills. I also don't like getting passed by ebikers - or anyone really - but I just try and tell myself let it go. Or I drop a gear and go into chase mode.

I agree tho that the ebike proponents can drone on a bit, especially when it comes to some of the specious claims about being better for fitness than pedal bikes. There is an argument to made for ebikes helping fitness, but it gets way oversold in a bullshit manner too much of the time *cough*Norona*cough*EMBN*cough*

May 4, 2019, 12:50 p.m.

On commuting I agree, but I'll admit I love chasing down ebikers and passing them on my commute, especially on some of the hills. I also don't like getting passed by ebikers - or anyone really - but I just try and tell myself let it go. Or I drop a gear and go into chase mode.

Funny was out on my road bike this week and going pretty much flat out on Lynn Valley road, I couldn't catch a commuter guy who was flying. Not pedalling so must have been a throttle bike. I wonder can some of the people on these bikes handle themselves in a quick reaction situation? Think they are great for commuting but possibly a bit to much power for many?

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.mnn.com/green-tech/transportation/blogs/amp/are-boomers-e-bikes-going-get-themselves-killed

Last edited by: Brocklanders on May 4, 2019, 12:58 p.m., edited 1 time in total.
May 4, 2019, 1:49 p.m.

Some older riders say an e-bike keeps them in the game.

May 4, 2019, 5:54 p.m.

Well shuttling has pretty much always been around and there was a time when shuttling was hated on in a similar manner and for similar reasons that ebikers get flack. Chairlifts and a bike park are a different beast tho imo simply because it's a paid activity. On commuting I agree, but I'll admit I love chasing down ebikers and passing them on my commute, especially on some of the hills. I also don't like getting passed by ebikers - or anyone really - but I just try and tell myself let it go. Or I drop a gear and go into chase mode.

I agree tho that the ebike proponents can drone on a bit, especially when it comes to some of the specious claims about being better for fitness than pedal bikes. There is an argument to made for ebikes helping fitness, but it gets way oversold in a bullshit manner too much of the time *cough*Norona*cough*EMBN*cough*

But back then any bike that could survive these trails was 50lbs. Shuttling was a regrettable but understandable necessity for most. Now we have light great climbing bikes that descend better than any of those old bikes as well as amazing climbing trails. It's a great time to get into the sport (price aside). But I guess it's just not easy enough and companies really need to keep growing that market to include people who were typically put off by mountain biking's high barriers to entry (price being just one).

Last edited by: craw on May 4, 2019, 5:57 p.m., edited 1 time in total.
May 4, 2019, 7:11 p.m.

Like I've said before, if someone wants to lug around one of those heavy ass bikes on the descent then so be it. Just trying to bunnyhop one of those things is a big effort.

May 4, 2019, 8:02 p.m.

Posted by: Brocklanders

I wonder can some of the people on these bikes handle themselves in a quick reaction situation? 

Now replace the word “bikes” with skate boards, roller blades, skis... Pretty redundant angle me thinks.

May 4, 2019, 8:13 p.m.

Posted by: Stuminator

Some older riders say an e-bike keeps them in the game.

And other older riders say that pedalling a real bike up the hill keeps them fit, healthy, and stoked. 

Btw, stay off of my lawn!

May 4, 2019, 9:40 p.m.

Posted Craw

But back then any bike that could survive these trails was 50lbs. Shuttling was a regrettable but understandable necessity for most. Now we have light great climbing bikes that descend better than any of those old bikes as well as amazing climbing trails. It's a great time to get into the sport (price aside). But I guess it's just not easy enough and companies really need to keep growing that market to include people who were typically put off by mountain biking's high barriers to entry (price being just one).

Not exactly, I rode a Stinky that was sub 40 for sure. I agree though the the quality of bike nowadays is much better than 15-20 years ago. Also agree that difficulty and price are big barriers, not sure if ebikes fully cure that tho. In the end isn’t everything about profit$$$? 

How about this, if ebikes were hover bikes a la Star Wars would people still be screaming murder? I think at the end of the day if it’s fun enough then people will plunk down their money to participate. Like you say, ebikes definitely take the work aspect out of the equation.

May 5, 2019, 6:57 a.m.

Yes, hover bikes would still have some of us “screaming murder”. 

MOTORS. THEY ALL HAVE MOTORS. ITS NOT MOUNTAIN BIKING IF IT HAS A MOTOR.  FFS.