ebikes on the Shore

Sept. 23, 2022, 8:53 a.m.

Posted by: Vikb

You could do some reasonable stuff like:

1. Only charge when someone is home.
  2. If the battery is not charging normally or shows any sign of damage stop using it. Store it outside until you can get it inspected/disposed of.
  3. Have a plan for what to do if a fire starts. [ie. charger setup near door to balcony so you can throw it out if needed]
  4. Store it in the least dangerous place you can [ie. garage on the bike vs. in an apartment closet] when not charging.

Good advice here that extends beyond PEV batteries. We can and should apply the same principles with our home appliances that use or contain water (dishwashers, clothes washers - even refrigerators with ice/water dispensers).

Water escapes from appliances cause way more property damage each year (in Canada) than fire does - and that's including every type of fire, not just the kind that start from batteries.

Last edited by: Ride.DMC on Sept. 23, 2022, 8:56 a.m., edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Changed "You" to "We" as I am not trying to single any one person out - I am referring to "us" collectively.
Sept. 23, 2022, 12:53 p.m.

Posted by: Ride.DMC

Water escapes from appliances cause way more property damage each year (in Canada) than fire does - and that's including every type of fire, not just the kind that start from batteries.

Although escaping water doesn't tend to burn you or your neighbours to death while you sleep.

Sept. 23, 2022, 4:49 p.m.

Neither does every fire, let alone every battery fire.

Sept. 23, 2022, 5:44 p.m.

Posted by: Ride.DMC

Posted by: andy-eunson

With the prices sought for some of these ebikes, wouldn’t in be cheaper to hire a big lad to just carry you around?

Hodor!

Shore Sherpas!

Sept. 23, 2022, 10:19 p.m.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fzchwMkiD50

whose worse in this film, the ones shuttling all day riding the same trails over and over and cause errosion or the one on the ebikes riding far out trails thst don’t see much traffic otherwise?

Last edited by: Sethimus on Sept. 23, 2022, 10:22 p.m., edited 1 time in total.
Sept. 24, 2022, 6:24 a.m.

Posted by: Sethimus

whose worse in this film, the ones shuttling all day riding the same trails over and over and cause errosion or the one on the ebikes riding far out trails thst don’t see much traffic otherwise?

I'm not a shuttling fan. If I had to choose though confining human activity to a smaller concentrated area is better than spreading it out over a wider area. For the same reason we put toilets at strategic spots in public. We sacrifice those spots to keep the wider environment clean. If you take the motors out of the equation there is a natural limit to how far [both spreading out and total distance in laps] a human will travel under their own power for fun.

Last edited by: Vikb on Sept. 24, 2022, 6:31 a.m., edited 1 time in total.
Sept. 24, 2022, 7:18 a.m.

I don't have a problem with either when done responsibly. It's been over a decade since I've been to Downieville but the setup there is a pretty good example. There is a local organization doing tons of trail maintenance. Companies profiting from the trails (shuttle company, bike shop renting out bikes etc.) donate money and volunteer-time to this organization. If I'm not mistaken Santa Cruz has been involved in trail work around Downieville for a long time too so in this case even the e-bike manufacturer shown in the video chips in.

At the end of the day it's about how people behave and take into account their impact.

I fast-forwarded through the video but saved it for later to take my time to watch. Beautiful area, I'll have to get back there some day.

Sept. 24, 2022, 8:52 a.m.

The important thing is to make sure that one feels superior to both groups of people and they’re shunned for their lack of moral fortitude.

Sept. 24, 2022, 10:22 a.m.

Posted by: tashi

The important thing is to make sure that one feels superior to both groups of people and they’re shunned for their lack of moral fortitude.

For the most part in this thread (and forum) that seems to be mtb'er shunning ebikers.

Sept. 24, 2022, 12:28 p.m.

Why do they need to ride 60miles in a day? Does 60miles on an e(asy)bike give them twice the pleasure of 30miles on a bike? The e(asy)bike cannot even do the 60 miles, they need a battery brought to them somewhere on the loop. The idea that everyone needs to achieve achieve achieve is crazy. Just go ride your bike. If you can't ride 60 miles, don't sweat it. Ride what you can and enjoy it. The idea that we need to develop technology so that everyone can achieve some goal of vert or runs or epic km's is stupid. It is also what is messing up our society as no one is happy with what they have and yet they aren't really happy when they have more either. I watch those guys sprint up the climb with the help of their motor and I think - they just ruined one of the best parts of riding. The meditative process of a nice long climb is not something I need to fastforward at 2xspeed so I can get to the "good part." If you like riding an e(asy)bike, great. But I loath the idea that everyone should want to augment their bike with motors so they can be happier with what it helps them achieve.

As for this thread (and forum) shunning e(asy)bikers, what would you expect? Could you imagine going to motorcycle forum and posting all about your bicycle adventures and expecting them to be super supportive of your bicycle touring or mtb rides? The bicycle industry seems to think that cyclists were unsatisfied with their sport and were just waiting for motors to be added to their bike - this is not the case. What they probably are correct about is that a bunch of people who are not cyclists probably were not getting into bicycles as it was too hard. Motors does solve that problem.

Last edited by: RAHrider on Sept. 24, 2022, 12:38 p.m., edited 1 time in total.
Sept. 24, 2022, 12:40 p.m.

"if I had an E-bike, I would join you, but the climbing up just isn't for me without a motor"   - Overheard in the Fromme lot today from a non-rider to their 3 pedal-mtb-bike friends that just drove up Mtn Hwy from home in upper Lonsdale and were having trouble finding a parking spot in the lot.

Sept. 24, 2022, 1:57 p.m.

I just watched the complete video above about Downieville & area. Seems to me they are taking a sensible approach to integrating e-bikes into their trail system and are trying to figure out a sustainable model to fit it all in. Either deciding trail by trail which ones they allow e-bikes on or revitalizing existing motorized trails for e-bikes. It's a huge area so they should be able to disperse the trail users over the entire system.

The concept of riding a motor-assisted mountain bike doesn't appeal to me personally but the fact is that they exist, and people buy them and want to ride them somewhere. I don't see any advantage in getting emotional about it.

Sept. 24, 2022, 2:01 p.m.

Posted by: RAHrider

That is a lot words just to say you dislike ebikes. 

At the end of the day as long as people are using good trail etiquette it doesn't really matter what their rationale is for using the trails to anyone but themselves.

Sept. 24, 2022, 2:21 p.m.

Why do they need to ride 60miles in a day? Does 60miles on an e(asy)bike give them twice the pleasure of 30miles on a bike? The e(asy)bike cannot even do the 60 miles, they need a battery brought to them somewhere on the loop. The idea that everyone needs to achieve achieve achieve is crazy. Just go ride your bike. If you can't ride 60 miles, don't sweat it. Ride what you can and enjoy it. The idea that we need to develop technology so that everyone can achieve some goal of vert or runs or epic km's is stupid. It is also what is messing up our society as no one is happy with what they have and yet they aren't really happy when they have more either. I watch those guys sprint up the climb with the help of their motor and I think - they just ruined one of the best parts of riding. The meditative process of a nice long climb is not something I need to fastforward at 2xspeed so I can get to the "good part." If you like riding an e(asy)bike, great. But I loath the idea that everyone should want to augment their bike with motors so they can be happier with what it helps them achieve.

As for this thread (and forum) shunning e(asy)bikers, what would you expect? Could you imagine going to motorcycle forum and posting all about your bicycle adventures and expecting them to be super supportive of your bicycle touring or mtb rides? The bicycle industry seems to think that cyclists were unsatisfied with their sport and were just waiting for motors to be added to their bike - this is not the case. What they probably are correct about is that a bunch of people who are not cyclists probably were not getting into bicycles as it was too hard. Motors does solve that problem.

Hmm, nicely said. The "augmented" mtb part isn't necessarily accurate though, E-MTB's are a distinctly different animal than MTBs ime, appearance aside.

To each their own, if e-biking is someone's jam then it's their jam, but pretending it's mountain biking except better is malarkey. The similarity to the experience of riding a mountain bike is slim.

Sept. 25, 2022, 6:58 a.m.

I really like what you wrote here.

So 2 months ago, I had a pretty nasty crash and broke my wrist.  It has made me really sit back and re-evaluate how I approach riding.  The "achieve achieve achieve" mentality you mention is real.  I was pushing myself to ride all the time.  I even felt guilty if my rides weren't of a certain length or difficulty.  One of my justifications for my eBike was "well, when I am really tired from riding my pedal bike, I can ride the eBike on recovery days"...I was pushing myself to ride more all the time.  Not listening to when my body or my mind just wanted a break. 

I have only recently started riding again.  I am out of shape from being off the bike for a few months.  I am much slower than I was.  But...I don't turn on Strava, I don't worry about how long/far I am riding.  I just pedal my bike now.  And if I don't feel like it, I don't do it.  I am finding already that I am enjoying it more.  I also sold my eBike during this time.

This is somewhat of a digression from the original topic, but what you wrote struck a chord with me.