Easy evening XC loop for newbie wife on Shore/Burnaby?

Sept. 2, 2014, 1:01 p.m.

Hey folks,

Wifey just picked up her first MTB yesterday after demoing at Lost Lake in Whistler. She enjoyed White Gold Traverse which is a meandering dirt singletrack with some rocks, ups, downs and turns but nothing technical. Torture Never Stops was bit too rough for her, but she was also bored on the wide gravel paths.

Wondering what folks would suggest for a nice singletrack evening XC loop I could ride with her? I'm not much of an XC guy, I enjoy Bridle Path but it's definitely too rough for her until she gets more bike experience. Looking for some singletrack that's a step down from Bridle Path really.

Thanks

Sept. 2, 2014, 1:22 p.m.

Some of the single track around Burnaby Mtn could work. You can park off North Rd (just north of Chapman) and go explore. There's all kinds of blue trails there. Anything east of the Powerline trail is pretty much flat.

http://univercity.ca/wp-content/uploads/2011/12/UniverCity_Pedestrian_Biking_Network_Map.pdf

There's nothing better than an Orangina after cheating death with Digger.

Sept. 2, 2014, 1:23 p.m.

Powerline trail [HTML_REMOVED] Dead Moped [HTML_REMOVED] North Road Trail [HTML_REMOVED] Jim's Jungle is a pretty mellow XCish loop. I'm not sure of much else that would be decent at SFU or The Shore without being equal to or harder than Bridle…

Ride, don't slide.

Sept. 2, 2014, 1:32 p.m.

Try Circuit 8/John Thompson Loop by Rice Lake in the LSCR. Just did a few laps yesterday and it's in perfect shape for beginner trail riding. Not super easy, but mostly flat, low consequence moderately technical riding. Also in the same area is the Richard Duryn trail along Lillooet Rd. above Capilano Uni. Fairly easy climb/descent with nice viewpoint of Mt. Seymour too. http://www.metrovancouver.org/about/maps/Maps/LSCR_MAPJan2013.pdf

Sept. 2, 2014, 1:45 p.m.

There's also the Coquitlam river trail up to Crystal Falls. Starts at Shaughnessy, just north of David, goes up for a couple of kilometers, then you come back. It can get a little busy, but is normally okay on weekday evenings.

Sept. 2, 2014, 2:23 p.m.

What about the Shed? Looking at you CoilAir. ;)

Sept. 2, 2014, 2:29 p.m.

Looking for some singletrack that's a step down from Bridle Path really.

Thanks

High School trail is right below Bridle, starting from Hyannis point. It's a bench cut marked climb up and flow/pump trail down (the last segment of Forever After).

It's on that Metro Van map as the squiggles in the Hyannis Connector/Bridle Trail/Baden Powell triangle. Takes me 15 minutes max to loop it from the car, but you can always extend into Hyannis/Greenland/Bridle as confidence grows.

http://nsmba.ca/content/2013-07_high-school-league-trail-project-phase-2-starting-mid-july

Phase 1 and 2 are complete. Still working on a muddy exit line that's south of ridge trail.

Sept. 2, 2014, 2:29 p.m.

wonderland in squamish

Sept. 2, 2014, 2:42 p.m.

^^took my kid down wonderland and had a blast. Easy to get to and can be fast for the more advanced rider.

"Ripping Styles, Holmes!"
- Tommy Guererro, Search for Animal Chin

Sept. 3, 2014, 11:17 a.m.

Wow, thanks everyone, lots of great ideas.

Powerline trail [HTML_REMOVED] Dead Moped [HTML_REMOVED] North Road Trail [HTML_REMOVED] Jim's Jungle is a pretty mellow XCish loop. I'm not sure of much else that would be decent at SFU or The Shore without being equal to or harder than Bridle…

We're going to do this loop tonight. I've never ridden at SFU so exploring a new area is a bonus to me. Might be a bit drier than the shore tonight as well.

Try Circuit 8/John Thompson Loop by Rice Lake in the LSCR. Just did a few laps yesterday and it's in perfect shape for beginner trail riding. Not super easy, but mostly flat, low consequence moderately technical riding. Also in the same area is the Richard Duryn trail along Lillooet Rd. above Capilano Uni. Fairly easy climb/descent with nice viewpoint of Mt. Seymour too. http://www.metrovancouver.org/about/maps/Maps/LSCR_MAPJan2013.pdf

Thanks, I watched a POV vid of Richard Duryn and it looks pretty dang smooth. Will definitely bring her there to check out the area. Should be good trails to boost her skills for the rougher bits of Bridle Path.

High School trail is right below Bridle, starting from Hyannis point. It's a bench cut marked climb up and flow/pump trail down (the last segment of Forever After).

It's on that Metro Van map as the squiggles in the Hyannis Connector/Bridle Trail/Baden Powell triangle. Takes me 15 minutes max to loop it from the car, but you can always extend into Hyannis/Greenland/Bridle as confidence grows.

http://nsmba.ca/content/2013-07_high-school-league-trail-project-phase-2-starting-mid-july

Phase 1 and 2 are complete. Still working on a muddy exit line that's south of ridge trail.

Thanks. I've ridden High School as part of a Bridle loop once or twice and really enjoy the pump track style part. I know she'd be fine on that section of trail, and it could be fun to loop it a few times from Hyannis parking area. Thanks for your work in the area.

Will also add Wonderland and Coquitlam river trail to the list.

cheers guys

Sept. 3, 2014, 4:08 p.m.

Rob's and Craigs corners, in Squamish then roller Coaster on your way out.

Sept. 3, 2014, 7:24 p.m.

If you're doing Wonderland in Squamish, add in a quick loop of White Rabbit. White Rabbit leads directly into the north (start) of Wonderland. Ride it clockwise. Some really easy (though rooty) stuff over the other side of Hwy99 from Alice Lake