Earn your downhill....

Nov. 3, 2003, 4:54 p.m.

Originally posted by thatgirl
ok, I have a question. I haven't been riding for all that long, and of the NS mountains, when I have the time to go, I usually go to Seymour because it can be shuttled, because I usually have to go to work after my ride, so please don't attack me for shuttling..sheesh. Now, I would actually like to ride UP on my days off, but I have seen those poor people pedalling up the road and almost getting clipped by cars..not my idea of fun. I am wondering if there is another way to get to the top without running the risk of being murdered by a car. Anyone? And please don't attack me about asking for directions on the internet.

A good way to go up is to ride up Old Buck. When you get to Old Buck; turn right up the Baden Powell and just keep going up. You'll get to the Powerlines; keep going. Then you get to a gate at Mt Seymour parkway. Turn left and ride up the Parkway. You're then about maybe a km from Neds.

Nov. 3, 2003, 4:54 p.m.

Originally posted by putty
**here's an idea. why don't we just accept the fact that every rider is different. some people will shuttle, some people will climb. some people will skid down the trail on their HT, some on their FS. just because trails are getting shreded does not mean that anyone who does not want to do trail work will do any, or care about it for that matter.

let people enjoy the sport the way they want to. focus on coming up with a solution that will keep what we have instead of arguing about who's ass is the fatest from not climinbing. **

Sound logic that that just ruins a good argument! :D As the Aussies would say…"good on 'ya".

2 phat planks to lead you in the powpow paduwan learner.

Nov. 3, 2003, 4:55 p.m.

Originally posted by putty
**here's an idea. why don't we just accept the fact that every rider is different. some people will shuttle, some people will climb. some people will skid down the trail on their HT, some on their FS. just because trails are getting shreded does not mean that anyone who does not want to do trail work will do any, or care about it for that matter.

let people enjoy the sport the way they want to. focus on coming up with a solution that will keep what we have instead of arguing about who's ass is the fatest from not climinbing. **

I love you man!

Nov. 3, 2003, 4:57 p.m.

Originally posted by LeeLau
I love you man!

Now the testosterone has dwindled to dangerous lows….:D

2 phat planks to lead you in the powpow paduwan learner.

Nov. 3, 2003, 4:58 p.m.

A good way to go up is to ride up Old Buck. When you get to Old Buck; turn right up the Baden Powell and just keep going up. You'll get to the Powerlines; keep going. Then you get to a gate at Mt Seymour parkway. Turn left and ride up the Parkway. You're then about maybe a km from Neds.

Or turn left (west) when you get to Baden Powell. Cross the powerline clearing. Eventually you get to the mushroom parking lot sign. Neds starts there. A pavement free way to get to Neds.

Edit, you do miss the top portion of Corkscrew and the old road from the middle of Incline to the top of Neds though. (I think it is called the Mushroom trail, although most maps don't seem to have a name on it.)

Nov. 3, 2003, 5 p.m.

Originally posted by CraigH
**The rumour I'd heard was they didn't want the scary smelly mountain bikers interfering with the sight seeing tourists.

The way to deal with the problem would be the same way Whistler does, keep them seperated.
Grouse already has 2 independent trams. Use the smaller service tram for the bikers.

Anyone know the real story instead of the rumours I've heard? **

I wish I could tell you something concrete. I know that Cypress is interested in the concept and so is Seymour but like dave said; there's a ton of paperwork to be done on that.

Nov. 3, 2003, 5:02 p.m.

Air is now so full of testosterone could cut it with a chainsaw

Aside from a few good people I know who've lived in Whistler for 15+ years, why is that when I come across people who live there I think they seem completely out of touch? Is it the lack of honest days spent in the workplace? Is it all the time examining one's nostril through a mirror on a table? No, it's just a la-la land full of escapists.

Ride More Bitch Less

Nov. 3, 2003, 5:07 p.m.

Originally posted by Ned
Aside from a few good people I know who've lived in Whistler for 15+ years, why is that when I come across people who live there I think they seem completely out of touch? Is it the lack of honest days spent in the workplace? Is it all the time examining one's nostril through a mirror on a table? No, it's just a la-la land full of escapists.

The man speaks the truth.

Nov. 3, 2003, 5:10 p.m.

I told my wife I want to move to Smithers. Escapist move? Absolutely. But at least I won't have to deal with the Whistler ilk and all it brings forth into places such as this. Put that on the mirror and snort it… boy.

Ride More Bitch Less

Nov. 3, 2003, 5:10 p.m.

Originally posted by Ned

He's just trying to get a rise out of you ned. Whistler is barely real though; gotta agree with that. Lucky we know scroungly old locals there.

Nov. 3, 2003, 5:11 p.m.

thanks for the info, LeeLau and CraigH, are there any more trails that go farther up, say, to CBC?

:canada: :swiss:

Originally posted by sanrensho
**Maybe you didn't intend to propagate the notion that people should do nothing. If so, you should reread your post.

If a land manager approached you and asked about the sustainability of mtb trails in a park area, do you say:

a) Trail erosion is inevitable,
b) More bike traffic is inevitable and
c) It isn't realistic to expect bikers to participate in trail days.

Essentially, that's what you wrote. Anyways, I'm guessing that you can see my point.;) **

ok first off, trail erosion is inevitable
secondly, increased traffic is inevitable and thridly, the point I was making about trail days is that unfortunately not all riders will be able to participate NOT that they shouldn't be expected to help out in trail days…there is a distinction there… I highly encourage everyone to take advantage for trail days so please dont get me wrong…

Also, I'm as concerned as you are with these issues, but unofrtunately I dont have the magical answers to fix them. I'm just putting forward the problems the north shore is facing with the increased popularity of freeriding. I'm not saying that nothing should be done, but I'm saying that these problems exist and need solutions.

Originally posted by Zedbra
The man speaks the truth.

Squamish will be whistler with trucks in 10 - 15 years. But I still want to make tons of money out of it if I can. Were you OK after the flooding?

Nov. 3, 2003, 5:12 p.m.

I wish I could tell you something concrete. I know that Cypress is interested in the concept and so is Seymour but like dave said; there's a ton of paperwork to be done on that.

Sounds like it is time for Intrawest to buy one of the local ski hills and get something happening!

Nov. 3, 2003, 5:13 p.m.

SO…when I own your slow ass on the way down (and I would) do I pretend that because I hate climbs that I am not a mountain biker? Should I make motorbike noises as I whup your ass? I'm confused Mr. I-Climb-so-I-Rule.

If you hate and dont climb then your not so much a mountianbiker, your more a downhiller. You should try to ride up a technical, steep, rugged slope, it takes a lot of skill and is one of many true components of mountainbiking, i think alot of bikers are just too focussed on DH and hucking. Personally, I pride myself in being an all-around skilled mountainbiker; getting up the hill and down. But I am guilty of shuttling too, not all the time though. I'd like to see the ol' hill climbing comps make a comeback…