E-Bikes- They work!

Sept. 18, 2018, 5:19 p.m.

Posted by: mudrunner

(the only comment I will make to address the "fitness benefits" of the original post is that I get the same effect from putting a treadmill in the bed of my pick-up truck when my buddy drives me up 9 Mile Hill....whatever)

Agree with everything in your post except this. Setting your treadmill to a gentle walk in the back of the pickup and going 40 is not the same as a run up a 9 Mile Hill. If you set the treadmill to 5 minute miles then I agree with you but most people who mount an E-moped are not going to do the equivalent exercise.

As for the moto-trials question, I cannot really say who does more damage but I would likely agree with the comment that there really is no volume of moto-trials to cause any real problem. I have seen them go up a washed out, deeply rutted incline shooting baby heads out from under the tire the same way normal motocross people do. Also, the number of trails that were developed by moto-trials is very small. Mountain biking has developed more than 10x what moto-trials did in Squamish. The hard work and advocacy of mountain bikers has put BC on the world stage as the premiere destination for mountain bikers. I think that is worth protecting.

Lastly, I find it deceitful that people come on a forum like this presenting themselves as an individual while trying to influence on behalf of a corporation. I don't respect Wade Simmons for riding an E-moped but at least he does it above board - I recognize that he is paid by Rocky and it is their interests he is forwarding. I can understand that but this new form of subversive marketing is insulting.

Sept. 18, 2018, 6:16 p.m.

Actually running on a treadmill is less of a workout than running over ground at the same pace or even a little faster on the treadmill. The reason being is that on a treadmill the belt is moving underneath and you're more trying to keep pace with the belt vs on ground you're having to propel your body weight over distance which requires greater effort. 

I would argue that in a somewhat similar manner the ebike requires less effort as the motor is aiding in the propulsion of the bike. For the person who mentioned earlier they felt like their fitness improved, from their wording of their post that was due to the greater total amount of riding they got in. If all of that riding had been on a pedal bike then their fitness improvements would have been much greater than the pedal & ebike combo.

Sept. 18, 2018, 10:56 p.m.

just saw this, too funny not to share

Sept. 19, 2018, 9:39 p.m.

^^^ this made my day.