E-Bikes- They work!

Sept. 14, 2018, 4:19 p.m.

Posted by: norona

I am not clouding anything, I dont care what workout you get fitness wise, I am stating facts upon riding one, most of the drivel you read is from people that only have an opinion based off of limited info, not actually riding one. I am still laughing at synchro for his comment on how you can only get a limited workout on one. Love the explanation on that one...too funny!

What facts Dave? You've provided nothing more than opinion and at least I've given you some reason rooted in science as to why your opinion is off base. If you've got something besides hearsay to back up your statements please share as I'm always up for learning new stuff on exercise science.

Sept. 14, 2018, 5:07 p.m.

Norona is bike industry Spam....

Sept. 14, 2018, 8:43 p.m.

hashtags for dollars....

Sept. 14, 2018, 10:06 p.m.

Posted by: norona

Posted by: earleb

Some questions for Dave.

Does it have a motor? Yes or No?

Is it an electric motorized bicycle? Yes or No?

Are you advocating for trails currently designated as non-motorized to have their designation changed to include motorized vehicles?

The size of the motor or how it's applied is irrelevant. Motorized yes or no.

Allowing the debate to be clouded with talk of cardio, fitness, bullying and weight is obfuscating the core of the issue. Are they motorized and should current trail networks that are not clearly designated mixed use allow motorized.

Yes - Remember Sierra Club calls bikes mechanized and has them banned! Do you agree with that?

Yes - Under the current legislation in Europe Pedtec, anything more is labelled motorized like a dirt bike and I get that, I am not advocating that electric moto's now go anywhere as they have much more power, I have one and know! I hope government legislation goes the same way.The Government is also saying they are making a different form of legislation that will be easier to change in the future, which tells you that they are just going to go the easy route and change it once so many riders start riding these. By the way that is what happened to us as mountain bikers in the late 80's and early nineties, before hikers could ban us, we were everywhere!

In the USA the Forest Service has banned them in many places, but is already going back on their plan, Mamoth Mountain Opened their mountain to e-bikes and Forest Service then opened up all their trails around there to them. Here there is no legislation so for the guys mentioning whistler and worca and LOTS, that is a joke, they think they are above the law, by the way that was built with tax payers money. I can't put a sign on my street saying the speed limit is 30 when law says its 50, I can but no one would have to abide by it. Worca is doing the same in this case, there is no legislation on ebike currently so nothing can be enforced, that is why they are asking people to tell them to turn around, what if your wife was asked to be turned around for riding 3.0 inch tires, by a big guy who just said so, your okay with that. If it is the law, then she should turn around but causing conflict is not cool. Especially when you ask a guy like Todd Hellinga about trials bikes who build a huge amount of trails in whistler. He says its a grey area and he does not mind them, so he is okay with trials bike that burn gas, but not e-bikes. This shit just gets more and more funny! Non

No But since ebikes under the current power ratings are considered the same as legacy bikes, then there is no issue. Fromme or MTN Hwy is not non motorized it is a private road with guys using it on dirt bikes, cars, trucks, and is used for trail maintenance with vehicles. Why would you care is someone goes up the road then rides down normally, once down e-bikes dont help you, guys think they are a hindrence since they weight more, they are not by the way. The size of the motor does matter. most non-motorized was created for dirt bikes, which I get, however you are using old tech to define new tech, again you have to ride one to see the difference.

I am not clouding anything, I dont care what workout you get fitness wise, I am stating facts upon riding one, most of the drivel you read is from people that only have an opinion based off of limited info, not actually riding one. I am still laughing at synchro for his comment on how you can only get a limited workout on one. Love the explanation on that one...too funny!

Wow. Just. Wow.

This just in: Into the Mystic, On the Rocks, Happy Hour And Lord of The Squirrels is closed as a grizzly has been encountered. Also the trails further up the valley on that side as well. I read that conservation groups were not happy with some of those trails going in without them being consulted first. Ebikes make it easier to get up there. More people. More potential bear conflict. Trail closed permanently??  Get the picture. You are not going to convince us. Some of us like climbing under our own power. You like motor sports. Great. Me too, in the right places. 

From the Pique:  UPDATE: The Sproatt Alpine Network (Into the Mystic, Lord of the Squirrels, Happy Hour and With a Twist) and Rainbow Lake Trail are now closed, along with Skywalk, Kevin’s Homerun, Screaming Cat Lake and Upper 19 Mile Creek trails closed until further notice.

The closures are a result of human-wildlife conflict with a confirmed grizzly in the area. 

Thank you to the community for helping to protect people and Whistler’s bears by avoiding these trails.

Last edited by: andy-eunson on Sept. 14, 2018, 10:42 p.m., edited 1 time in total.
Sept. 15, 2018, 1:55 a.m.

Why you gotta be asshats? How a person makes their living is their own business. Dude is trying to stoke some enthusiasm for mountain biking. One-wheel, 3-wheel, electric, tandem...I don't care, let's just shred.

Sept. 15, 2018, 5:20 a.m.

so much hate, fear mongering, and misinformation in this thread it,s incredible.I think this whole thing is getting so blown out of proportion. Some of you sound like Monica...

Sept. 15, 2018, 5:24 a.m.

and really, e bikes could be responsible for a grizzly attack? C'mon what a fucking ass hat comment.

Sept. 15, 2018, 7:14 a.m.

Posted by: FLATCH

and really, e bikes could be responsible for a grizzly attack? C'mon what a fucking ass hat comment.

He didn’t say that.. he said that trail is closed due to grizzlies in the area.

Sept. 15, 2018, 8 a.m.

I think he said more than that, but I guess we interpret that differently.

Sept. 15, 2018, 8:31 a.m.

Anyways, I agree with norona.  WORCA should have no say if one of the trails they maintain is open or closed.  I should get to ride it whenever the hell I feel like it.

Sept. 15, 2018, 8:43 a.m.

I did actually try demo'ing an e-bike this summer. An average pedal stroke and the bike is putting out maximum wattage nearly immediately, bit of a weird feeling. Start putting in a hard effort and I'm not going any faster. Certainly takes away the motivation to put any decent effort in while pedaling and that's a pretty major part of biking to me.

The fitness/challenge of climbing is a crucial part of the whole thing for me personally, so they don't 'work' in my case.

The argument that a pedal-assist e-bike is a bicycle and an e-bike with a throttle is a motorcycle seems to fall apart when you can have the bike putting out maximum wattage while you're putting out a minimal effort. I realize they have settings and I was only in the maximum boost mode (or whatever it's called), but I think that's going to be the case for most people riding these when they get out for an hour or two after work.

Sept. 15, 2018, 9:20 a.m.

Posted by: FLATCH

What I implied was that more people in grizzly habitat potentially leads to more conflicts. That’s a fact. I think if there are enough people though, grizzlies would move away from the area. Maybe. That is why the conservationists were upset with the lack of consultation before the Sproat network went ahead. That’s why people are against the Jumbo resort development, human incursion into grizzly habitat.

Sept. 15, 2018, 9:36 a.m.

Interesting observation about maximum wattage on each pedal stroke?    Did you only ride in Turbo or Boost mode (depending on motor manufacturer)?     If you want a killer workout run the e-bike in Eco mode.... you will be pedaling a circa 2000 freeride bike uphill... the options are up to individual...  I have 2 mountain bikes right now... Pivot Shuttle e-bike and a Trek Slash... I will be honest and say that I am fitter from getting in more e-bike rides this year at higher exertion levels.   When I get back on my regular bike I feel "slower" but my climbing times are faster overall...

Sept. 15, 2018, 12:13 p.m.

I parking lot rode a Cube e-bike this spring. Geo was janky AF.  

I'll take an Alta Enduro, KTM MX or trials moto before an e-moped.

Sept. 15, 2018, 1:25 p.m.

Yes, just the fastest mode as I mentioned. If you're going on a ride where battery life is not a limitation, are you turning down the power assist for the climb?

How about one of these instead? https://www.zeromotorcycles.com/ca/zero-fx

I don't think Lord of the Squirrels was paid for by taxpayer money, but I believe the climb (Into the Mystic) was. Could be wrong. Guessing that an alpine trail requires a lengthy approval process that could have failed at the mention of e-bikes. WORCA seems to act in the best interests of mountain bikers (acoustic?) and you probably won't be thrown in jail for ignoring a closure. Or doing plenty of other things that could jeopardize acoustic bike access/future trail building. Maybe WORCA needs to budget for some RATM edits and 'influencer' sponsorships next year. AGM is in 5 days if somebody wants to make that happen.