E-Bikes- They work!

Sept. 13, 2018, 6:06 p.m.

Posted by: craw

@norrona that's an interesting point about riding from home. I live in East Van. I've pedalled over the bridge did a full lap and a bit of Fromme and pedaled home. It's doable but it's a big day. Battery life nothwithstanding I could ride from home and do multiple mountains and still ride home. That's a cool option. 

same boat. potential trail access / conflict issues aside, the ability to self shuttle is the most compelling argument (to me) for these. leaving the car at home and brapping past the bridge traffic would be rad.

Sept. 13, 2018, 8:34 p.m.

Can anyone recommend a good portable speaker I could pair with my ebike?

Sept. 13, 2018, 8:44 p.m.

Congratulations Norona!!!!! You have won the Longest Post Ever Award!!!! I feel bad for you that you have to push these things in social forums of your peers. I would be embarrassed. Now that you have done your duty here, perhaps you can hold back from pushing these things here any more?

I know I took some heat for saying that WBP caters to the lazy thrill seeker but it is true. I know lots of you ride hard in all sorts of disciplines but if you can't come to terms with the fact that WBP caters to the lazy thrill seeker in you I can't be held responsible for that. Same as the fact that alpine skiing caters to the thrill seeker whereas backcountry skiiers are looking for a different expierience and are willing to put in effort to get it. Not to say backcountry skiiers don't hit the lifts when they feel "lazy."

If you still don't agree that Ebikes cater to lazy thrill seakers, imagine Lance Armstrong pushing an electric road bike saying how it got him in better shape than all the drugs and training he used to do.

I don't mind if people like Ebikes. I am worried about preserving my experience on the trails  and the trails themselves. Luckily, I like to ride longer than 2 hours and for now it sounds like the tech is lagging behind my "old school" approach to biking. I am frustrated with the fact that companies are co-opting our online communities to hawk their wears. It is worse when someone like Norona uses his status in our community to give these companies a pulpit to speak from. It is not cool to start a thread as an advertisement and then write a 4 page sales pitch in response to the discussion that occurs here. For the record the reason I come back to this post is I hate the fact that companies like specialized are trying to control the discourse on Ebikes and how they will fit within our communtiy. Specialized, Rocky Mountain and Devinici do not get to dictate this no matter how much they pay Wade Simmons and Norona to push them. I enjoy the fact that people here are pushing back against the narrative being put out by the Ebike industry. As rage Against the Machine would say "FIGHT THE POWER!"

Sept. 13, 2018, 9:05 p.m.

Posted by: rhw

Would you also call out local industry people shuttling Darkside trails (on normal bikes)?

I recall a certain VanCity shop named after a west end street getting blasted for videos of this very nature.

Sept. 13, 2018, 9:06 p.m.

Posted by: RAHrider

I know I took some heat for saying that WBP caters to the lazy thrill seeker but it is true. I know lots of you ride hard in all sorts of disciplines but if you can't come to terms with the fact that WBP caters to the lazy thrill seeker in you I can't be held responsible for that. Same as the fact that alpine skiing caters to the thrill seeker whereas backcountry skiiers are looking for a different expierience and are willing to put in effort to get it. Not to say backcountry skiiers don't hit the lifts when they feel "lazy."

Christ man, you sound as drunk as I was the other night.

Sept. 13, 2018, 9:24 p.m.

Posted by: ReductiMat

Posted by: RAHrider

Christ man, you sound as drunk as I was the other night.

Holy shit.  Are you Monica?

Sept. 13, 2018, 10:54 p.m.

Arnt they built into the top tube? Bluetooth to your phone. Built it nightriders too!

Sept. 14, 2018, 7:51 a.m.

Posted by: Ddean

Arnt they built into the top tube? Bluetooth to your phone. Built it nightriders too!

I think the ebikes also have a small air compressor built in? To blow the gunk out of your drive train. Also to blow the sand out of your vagina because climbing without a motor hurts so much.

Bada bing!

Sept. 14, 2018, 9:15 a.m.

Ho-weee! Shit be flying now, Brock. I'm guessing Cam's gonna call you on that one, brah.

Last edited by: Captain-Snappy on Sept. 14, 2018, 9:16 a.m., edited 1 time in total.
Sept. 14, 2018, 9:17 a.m.

Ironically, because so many e-bike haters can't resist reading this e-bike post and responding to it, this post is now "trending" on the home page :-)

If truer words were ever typed...

Last edited by: Captain-Snappy on Sept. 14, 2018, 9:18 a.m., edited 1 time in total.
Sept. 14, 2018, 9:50 a.m.

Some questions for Dave. 

Does it have a motor? Yes or No? 

Is it an electric motorized bicycle? Yes or No? 

Are you advocating for trails currently designated as non-motorized to have their designation changed to include motorized vehicles? 

The size of the motor or how it's applied is irrelevant. Motorized yes or no. 

Allowing the debate to be clouded with talk of cardio, fitness, bullying and weight is obfuscating the core of the issue. Are they motorized and should current trail networks that are not clearly designated mixed use allow motorized.

Sept. 14, 2018, 11:09 a.m.

I have no opinion of these on the NS trails, although I'm positive the legal versions of ebikes would not harm anything on the trails, except for egos.  Going down a steep slope on a heavy ebike would not be too fun or practical I reckon.

I do think people gotta try them before they knock them.  Norona does have some valid points embedded in his message.

I will also likely never go back to a regular bike.  I definitely enjoy riding and have more fun on an ebike then I did on a conventional bike.

Sept. 14, 2018, 11:22 a.m.

Posted by: grambo

Because they rode them in an area that is specifically non-motorized and specifically no ebikes. Because they are industry people including local and should know better especially during Crankworx. And because they tried to play dumb when questioned. Fuck em.

Would you also call out local industry people shuttling Darkside trails (on normal bikes)?

Nope, because they do so with some subtlety (yeah I know people film there, but at least they obscure the location well enough). Problem with LOTS incident is the industry knowingly going against WORCA and land manager requests during the busiest time of the year on a popular trail that said organization spent a lot of effort to get the right permissions to build... and thus normalizing it to average people that see them.

Sept. 14, 2018, 12:33 p.m.

If we are going to hate e-mtb we need to decide why. If it's just because someone can climb MH faster than me, I'd should starting hating the people who do that now on regular bikes (might be a big list). Is because they didn't pedal up? Well, people shuttle Seymour. Is it because they climb much faster and that could create conflict? How is this different than riders of varying skill levels going down? The extra wear and tear on the trail argument isn't much better. All we need is that argument to be extended to mtb by some mtb hater. I haven't made up my mind up on e-mtb. At this point I have no interest whatsoever in buying one and can't see buying one any time in the future. It might nice to make the climb to 7th a little easier but I don't think I want to ride 50lb bike down.

Last edited by: PoCo_Rider on Sept. 14, 2018, 8:12 p.m., edited 1 time in total.
Sept. 14, 2018, 1:31 p.m.

Posted by: earleb

Some questions for Dave. 

Does it have a motor? Yes or No? 

Is it an electric motorized bicycle? Yes or No? 

Are you advocating for trails currently designated as non-motorized to have their designation changed to include motorized vehicles? 

The size of the motor or how it's applied is irrelevant. Motorized yes or no. 

Allowing the debate to be clouded with talk of cardio, fitness, bullying and weight is obfuscating the core of the issue. Are they motorized and should current trail networks that are not clearly designated mixed use allow motorized.

Yes  - Remember Sierra Club calls bikes mechanized and has them banned! Do you agree with that? 

Yes - Under the current legislation in Europe Pedtec, anything more is labelled motorized like a dirt bike and I get that, I am not advocating that electric moto's now go anywhere as they have much more power, I have one and know! I hope government legislation goes the same way.The Government is also saying they are making a different form of legislation that will be easier to change in the future, which tells you that they are just going to go the easy route and change it once so many riders start riding these. By the way that is what happened to us as mountain bikers in the late 80's and early nineties, before hikers could ban us, we were everywhere!

In the USA the Forest Service has banned them in many places, but is already going back on their plan, Mamoth Mountain Opened their mountain to e-bikes and Forest Service then opened up all their trails around there to them. Here there is no legislation so for the guys mentioning whistler and worca and LOTS, that is a joke, they think they are above the law, by the way that was built with tax payers money. I can't put a sign on my street saying the speed limit is 30 when law says its 50, I can but no one would have to abide by it. Worca is doing the same in this case, there is no legislation on ebike currently so nothing can be enforced, that is why they are asking people to tell them to turn around, what if your wife was asked to be turned around for riding 3.0 inch tires, by a big guy who just said so, your okay with that. If it is the law, then she should turn around but causing conflict is not cool. Especially when you ask a guy like Todd Hellinga about trials bikes who build a huge amount of trails in whistler. He says its a grey area and he does not mind them, so he is okay with trials bike that burn gas, but not e-bikes. This shit just gets more and more funny! Non

No But since ebikes under the current power ratings are considered the same as legacy bikes, then there is no issue. Fromme or MTN Hwy is not non motorized it is a private road with guys using it on dirt bikes, cars, trucks, and is used for trail maintenance with vehicles. Why would you care is someone goes up the road then rides down normally, once down e-bikes dont help you, guys think they are a hindrence since they weight more, they are not by the way. The size of the motor does matter. most non-motorized was created for dirt bikes, which I get, however you are using old tech to define new tech, again you have to ride one to see the difference. 

I am not clouding anything, I dont care what workout you get fitness wise, I am stating facts upon riding one, most of the drivel you read is from people that only have an opinion based off of limited info, not actually riding one. I am still laughing at synchro for his comment on how you can only get a limited workout on one. Love the explanation on that one...too funny!