E-Bikes- They work!

Sept. 10, 2018, 6:48 p.m.

Classic norona.

Sept. 10, 2018, 7:13 p.m.

I too am all for those with injuries or other physical limitations for using them as a tool to improve their quality of life. 

I think that I’m all against able bodied people using them to rip up Mtn Hwy at 40kph plus (I’ve seen some going sooo fast)  and then across BP after they’re done Expresso or whatever and back up as a tool to get 4x the laps in. 

The elderly too. They can use them without shame as I suspect I will when Im older. Essentially, myself i have zero issue if minorities use them to improve their quality of life. The masses - not so much. 

My biggest concern is if they’re used by able bodied people to get to trails that were built with difficult access as a protection for their fragility.

Sept. 10, 2018, 8:48 p.m.

Lots of good points pro and con. Let’s be realistic though, the manufacturers are not targeting old folks and injured people but able body shredders. That is the largest target market. I was wondering how good an ebike would be on a certain trail I ride which has pretty tight technical switchbacks going up. Almost stopped tight switchbacks. Ebikes wont make a rider more skilled so I imagine pushing a heavy tank up part way ain’t gonna be fun. Make these too popular and the North Shore will have to deal with more than just Monica Craver. And others have theorized that ebikes will only become more powerful because that is the easiest way to claim your product is better than the other guys. I think in BC the laws regarding output only apply on roads so off road has no limit. I could be wrong though.

Sept. 10, 2018, 9:29 p.m.

Posted by: andy-eunson

Lots of good points pro and con. Let’s be realistic though, the manufacturers are not targeting old folks and injured people but able body shredders. That is the largest target market. I was wondering how good an ebike would be on a certain trail I ride which has pretty tight technical switchbacks going up. Almost stopped tight switchbacks. Ebikes wont make a rider more skilled so I imagine pushing a heavy tank up part way ain’t gonna be fun. Make these too popular and the North Shore will have to deal with more than just Monica Craver. And others have theorized that ebikes will only become more powerful because that is the easiest way to claim your product is better than the other guys. I think in BC the laws regarding output only apply on roads so off road has no limit. I could be wrong though.

AARRRRGGGG!!!! I agree with everything you have said which means mountain biking is doomed. The same thinking that makes WBP so popular and successful will slowly overtake all the trails I know and love. When you pander to lazy thrill seekers, the market size grows exponentially. I'm pretty sure someone has argued that WBP is also better for their fitness as they don't have to spend so much energy pedaling uphill and can therefore bike much longer......ummmmmm......right. At least I will be happy to know that my bike costs much less to maintain - silver linings.

Sept. 10, 2018, 11:48 p.m.

You dumb ass.  It almost sounds like you had a similar night as me (A pretty good one with a vehicle left in a lot).

Riding downhill at the WBP is a serious physical event.

If you can ride half as much as I can in a single day I’d be fucking surprised.

A wee motor in a crank will not help a weak monkey spinning laps.

Sept. 11, 2018, 10:36 a.m.

Posted by: ReductiMat

If riding WBP is your idea of a serious physical event, I'd be surprised if you can ride twice as much as me. Sure it's a test of "strength and conditioning" but "fitness" is generally thought to reflect cardiovascular conditioning. WBP does not help with this. I came to mountain biking from a background in road riding and triathlon. I went to the Jr World championships my first year racing. I've raced endurance events of every discipline and was a varsity cross country runner. So before you go spouting off about how your days in WBP make you some sort of hard rider, find out who you are talking to. The whole video at the beginning of this thread on ebikes is the biggest load of crap I have ever seen. For starters, they are saying how it is making them get in such good shape but they are climbing wearing down jackets. When is the last time you climbed anything in a down coat?!? That is not the sign of someone getting in good shape. This claim that these two riders learned to spin because they had a motor is bizarre. It just shows that they never actually worked on any pedaling aspect of their riding because not having a motor is no excuse for not knowing how to spin. The video is akin to a Donald Trump speech, barely rooted in reality with a liberal sprinkling of lies and mistruths.

I do worry about the impact e-assist bikes will have on the trails. Anyone who has been on a motocross trail will know that motors are not the friends of trails. If cycling comes to the point that everyone is riding an ebike, I will go out of my way to ride trails that ebike riders have no interest in (perhaps the rockiest, tightest tech trails?). I remember the first time I was passed by someone on a modern generation e bike. I used to commute from Vancouver to White Rock every day on my bike. Back then I was able to do a 40k time trial in under an hour and I remember this short fat lady passing me on her ebike cruiser. She was cruising along at 40km/hr without breaking a sweat. I can guarantee you she was not getting a better work out than me. This argument is ridiculous.

Sept. 11, 2018, 11:29 a.m.

Admins: 

Can we keep NSMB moped content-free please?  

I understand and accept that "the industry" is changing, but TO ME mountain biking is self propelled and I come here for mountain biking.  "e-MTB" may be rad but it's not mountain biking.

Sept. 11, 2018, 12:14 p.m.

Posted by: tashi

Admins: 

Can we keep NSMB moped content-free please?  

Oh god yes.

Novarra's irritating sales tactics especially don't deserve the air time.

Sept. 11, 2018, 1:04 p.m.

WADR Tashi, then why are you reading and responding to a post on e-MTBs?

Don't waste time expecting others to change their behaviour, when controlling one's own actions and/or reactions are the only realistic options.

Last edited by: Captain-Snappy on Sept. 11, 2018, 1:05 p.m., edited 2 times in total.
Sept. 11, 2018, 1:08 p.m.

Posted by: ReductiMat

You dumb ass.  It almost sounds like you had a similar night as me (A pretty good one with a vehicle left in a lot).

A wee motor in a crank will not help a weak monkey spinning laps.

It would appear there was a few moments of down-time last night.  Not quite sure how I managed to post this, but at least it is semi-legible.

I stand by my statement that getting 20-30 laps in at the WBP will leave you drained.

Sept. 11, 2018, 1:51 p.m.

Posted by: Ddean

I too am all for those with injuries or other physical limitations for using them as a tool to improve their quality of life. 

I think that I’m all against able bodied people using them to rip up Mtn Hwy at 40kph plus (I’ve seen some going sooo fast)  and then across BP after they’re done Expresso or whatever and back up as a tool to get 4x the laps in. 

The elderly too. They can use them without shame as I suspect I will when Im older. Essentially, myself i have zero issue if minorities use them to improve their quality of life. The masses - not so much. 

My biggest concern is if they’re used by able bodied people to get to trails that were built with difficult access as a protection for their fragility.

This. It's one thing for an experienced rider to be able to do more. It's something unquantifiably different for a noob with minimal understanding of access issues, trail etiquette, etc to be able to access trails previously protected by elevation and not being shuttlable.

Sept. 11, 2018, 2:10 p.m.

Posted by: craw

Posted by: Ddean

This. It's one thing for an experienced rider to be able to do more. It's something unquantifiably different for a noob with minimal understanding of access issues, trail etiquette, etc to be able to access trails previously protected by elevation and not being shuttlable.

Agree, and both of those have downsides. I will second Ddean, I've seen people freaking flying up mountain highway on ebikes several times this summer, wish I had a speed gun as it looked like 30km/h likely more. Maybe they ride that fast so no one has a chance to bitch at them for riding an electric moped on non-motorized trails?

And LOL @ Norrona sales tactics again, so bad.

Sept. 11, 2018, 5:48 p.m.

He’s a showroom floor salesperson. Of course he will spew his (paid) love for his (likely compensated through spewing promo) e bikes.

Sept. 11, 2018, 6:19 p.m.

Posted by: skidrc

He’s a showroom floor salesperson. Of course he will spew his (paid) love for his (likely compensated through spewing promo) e bikes.

Exactly right, Skid. Just a shill.

Sept. 11, 2018, 11:23 p.m.

I wonder how much Rage Against The Machine got paid to sell out? And have all his lyrics removed from his song to sell a bike?

Think about that for a minute. The hardest rocker out there who used the lyric "FUCK YOU I WON'T DO WHAT YOU TELL ME!" gratuitously in his songs allowed an international corporation to take all the lyrics out of his song to sell bikes and meanwhile told the world that his love of cycling was rekindled by a moped.

One word - pathetic.

I think trails should be marked Ebike friendly or not. Let the trail builder decide if ebikes belong on it, they should have the last say on this one.