Dog Crap and its impact on the environment (and my Shoes /Tires)

Dec. 21, 2010, 2:26 p.m.

What can we do about all the Dog Crap above the Gate on Fromme?

is it just me or does it seem like no matter where you step off your bike on the sides of the service road above the gate, you step in it. I am like a magnet for finding it.

I did some quick math and wanted to share it with the board. I'm thinking about writing this in to the North Shore News. We get slammed for the MTB's impact on the environment, but after the summary below, I am more concerned about the run off of this Poop into the water table than I am about bike trails.

Check it:

For this exercise, lets say a dog has been holding it in the car on his way for a run in the woods above the gate. he jumps out of the car and runs up above the gate to relieve itself. the owners assume "oh, its in the forest, so I don't have to pick it up" and they head off for their hike. - no big deal right.

Now lets assume 60 people take their dogs for a walk above the gate / day. (5 dogs per hour x 12 hours)

this = 60 pile of crap in one day (most near the gate)
= 420 piles in 1 week
= 1,680 piles in 1 month
= 21,840 PER YEAR!

now i know this stuff breaks down in the rain, so they only stick around on the surface for about 2 to 3 weeks, but still

21,000 craps running down the hill and into the frog pond can't be good.

Please pick up after your dog.

The King of E-Ville
Welcome to "E-ville"
population "Me"

Dec. 21, 2010, 3:42 p.m.

Good thing none of the other animals in the forest crap.

Dec. 21, 2010, 3:49 p.m.

Do the other animals in the forest eat processed dog food made with animal byproducts?

Do the other animals in the forest eat meat, which contains parasites that aren't found in the fecal matter of herbivores?

Do the other animals decide to drop right on the trail, or do they maybe go a bit deeper in the forest, UNLIKE a dog being walked on the trail?

Go troll somewhere else Couch. You're over your head on this one… Dog shit is a real problem in a lot of places. It's a health hazard for the exact reasons I wrote above, and should never be compared to horse droppings, or any other animal outside of bears for that matter.

Dec. 21, 2010, 4:14 p.m.

:lol: :lol:

Dec. 21, 2010, 6:06 p.m.

As far as I know, professional dogwalkers are allowed to walk their customer's dogs at Fromme. But ohhh….this is a huge pet peeve of mine. It's not so much the dogs, as the owners. The dogs just have to shit, what do they know? It's the dog owners I have a big problem with. I think we've all seen some dog have a shit [HTML_REMOVED] the owner looking around to see if anyone will see him leave without scooping the poop. A case could be made that the dogs [HTML_REMOVED] their owners cause more damage than mtn. bikers.

Thread killer

Dec. 21, 2010, 6:10 p.m.

I'm thinking about writing this in to the North Shore News. We get slammed for the MTB's impact on the environment, but after the summary below, I am more concerned about the run off of this Poop into the water table than I am about bike trails.

I see lots of mountain bikers with dogs. You might be inviting even more angst towards the MTB community.

Dec. 21, 2010, 6:18 p.m.

Why do you need to step off the side of the main service road anyway, unless you've had a dodgy curry the night before and you need to join the dogs? I've honestly never seen a dog turd on Fromme!

treezz
wow you are a ass

Dec. 21, 2010, 6:29 p.m.

Do the other animals in the forest eat meat, which contains parasites that aren't found in the fecal matter of herbivores?

I'm curious as to how many dogs eat a raw food diet?

I would think a large percentage of the dogs are on a kibble diet and I think that stuff is cooked in it's manufacturing process which would kill most if not all off the parasites(although any animal could have parasites, no?).

I would think most wild animals could have thier own parasite issues without it coming from a dog, or does dog shit cause all parasites?

You seems to have somewhat not so underlying hatred for dogs pooping in the woods and you seem like your somewhat of a an expert in this thread so I'm curious as to what your answer is.

I wonder how many people who have to take a shit in the woods pack it out? Obviously it would be a fraction of a percent of what dogs do, just more of a kettle meet pot type of thing.

I'm certainly not saying that dogs shitting in the woods is not an issue, but sometimes it's not always practical to pack it out.I would think professional dog walkers fall into the group inwhich it would be practical to pack out . What pisses me off the most is the people who bag it, then leave the bag somewhere else.I wonder if the ones that hang it from tree are the same type of mtb'ers who hang tubes from trees.

Dec. 21, 2010, 6:54 p.m.

i always make sure i shit right in the middle of a transition whenever i'm out trail building.

We don't know what our limits are, so to start something with the idea of being limited actually ends up limiting us.
Ellen Langer

Dec. 21, 2010, 6:56 p.m.

Go troll somewhere else Couch. You're over your head on this one…

how many spoonfulls of stupid did you put in your coffee this morning?

We don't know what our limits are, so to start something with the idea of being limited actually ends up limiting us.
Ellen Langer

Dec. 21, 2010, 7:01 p.m.

i can't believe this thread exists.

the volume of dog shit accumulating up there is not affecting anything but your blind ass when you step in it

Dec. 21, 2010, 7:03 p.m.

It's the Canada Geese's fault.

www.thisiswhy.co.uk

www.teamnfi.blogspot.com/

Dec. 21, 2010, 7:04 p.m.

i always make sure i shit right in the middle of a transition whenever i'm out trail building.

me and my dog love you.:fro:

Is it counter productive to ride on my exercise bike with a cocktail in hand?

Dec. 21, 2010, 7:04 p.m.

I try to shit before I head out to go bike, wiping my ass with leaves is not nice unless my shit comes out in one go, then even if i wipe, there's no residue on my toilet paper so it's not needed to wipe

Dec. 21, 2010, 10:10 p.m.

my dog shits in your woods.
and i don't pick it up!
i do flick it or the trail/road.
though he usually does his pinch off trail, think he likes the privacy.

i agree with the good karma approach of removing crap from the path.
(bag or flick)
and the douche badge goes to those who don't.

as far as parasites from dogs hurting wildlife, that is retarded, the bugs come form the wildlife, who i'm pretty sure have been crapping in the woods for a little while now. Giardia (for example) comes from their poop, not the other way around.