Does it matter where you ride?

May 8, 2021, 9:34 a.m.

Chatter in some of the other threads got me thinking about people's favourite places to ride. Some love the Shore and some say it's clapped and other regions are better like Squamish or Tri-cities. At the end of the day does it really matter where or even what you ride? There are for sure some trails that I like better than others, but I'd never shy away from a ride even if it was planned for one of those trails I'm less enamoured with. I think if you're always riding one area and the same group of trails then it can get tired/clapped out, so it makes sense that a newly discovered mountain or trail can seem like gold. There's so much variety locally though, it seems weird getting trapped into one mountain or a single set of trails. Does proximity to home make a huge difference? I live pretty much half way in between Seymour/Fromme and Eagle/Burke so they all see regular rotation. With Seymour and the parking for climb I do only being 10-12 minutes away that's usually the go to ride, but I mix it up enough that I never think of saying Mtn A is way better than Mtn B. Thoughts?

We don't know what our limits are, so to start something with the idea of being limited actually ends up limiting us.
Ellen Langer

May 8, 2021, 4:44 p.m.

For me it's variety that keeps things fresh. I try not to ride the same mountain 2 rides in a row, mixing it up between the Shore and tri cities with the occasional squamish day thrown in. Like you I won't turn down a ride based on location though (I rarely turn down a ride for any reason). Some people seem happy ride the same trails all the time though, so whatever keeps you happy I guess

May 8, 2021, 11:06 p.m.

I think it totally depends on your personality and how you approach riding. 

I like the discovery/exploration aspect of MTB, but I also see it like playing billiards or tennis. I don't need 600 differently shaped pool tables. I live at the bottom of Seymour and while I'm only am intermediate rider, I feel like I can pretty much learn new skills and new/better ways to ride those trails pretty much indefinitely. 

Mixing it up is great and I definitely do it. If I could only ride Seymour for the rest of my life, I'd miss other places for sure, but honestly I think I'd be ok. 

Not sure of that answers the question. Lol

May 9, 2021, 8:59 a.m.

For me it does.  Some mountains don't do it for me at all some days; I can't think of the last time I was on SFU (20 years for sure). As I pedal up, some days Seymour is preferable to Fromme.  Burke is no fun when you are tired to begin with.  Anyone whom has ridden for any time will notice that each hill has its own personality and flavour; Cypress is steep and demanding, Fromme is less so, Seymour more laid back.  Burke is steep and more natural (there are few built stunts there) and Eagle has a closed in feel to it (to me).  Depending on my mood and physical proclivity of that day, I will ride depending.  Weather plays a role too....steeper hills drain faster (assuming your trail is not all gold).   I find Fromme the best wet day hill but certain trails on Seymour are good too.  

If forced to choose I would put Fromme as my number one, but having ridden it as long as I have this is a given, but for sure it isn't what it use to be.  I have had memorable rides on all the hills.  I can see how someone would ride any hill to exclusion, although there are a few.  If you are limited to travel or have no car, for example.  If I lived at the top of Coast Meridian it would stand to reason Burke would be my main hill.  Even as I like hills better than others I couldn't ride in any place in totality.  I don't shuttle anymore so I haven't seen Cypress in a long time and do miss it.  

I think to it depends on what you are trying to accomplish when riding.  Are you out for the ride or for deeper reasons?  I think for many it is simply about the fun of riding and that is it.  But to me riding has a much more significant impact to my fabric.  It is beyond passion.  If you simply ride to ride then Seymour gets you more "bang for the buck", but my best memories are of the ones that came the hard way. Or the rides that were pooched from the word go and nothing went right.  Sure wish the  Dump Trail was around today......

May 9, 2021, 9:14 a.m.

Pedalling from home most rides this past year and really enjoying the extra exercise and effort. Picked up a Trance-X to compliment #onelesscar

May 9, 2021, 10:05 a.m.

Totally depends on mood, energy level, time to ride, and whether I'm riding solo or w group/friend for me. I live at Mtn Hwy/Lynn Valley Rd so Fromme is closest but Seymour is up there and I also love heading to Squamish for the day. I've ridden SFU, Sumas, Burke etc but North Shore/Squamish are my favs. 

Locally, if I'm kinda tired from work sometimes I prefer the mtn hwy climb as a mindless grind. Sometimes I want to ride something familiar vs a trail with a lot more features I'm working on and have ridden less. My approach this year is to try new trails so I have more of a range to pick from. 

Vibe is also a factor...east Seymour (Old Buck) feels different from Hyannis entry etc. I definitely tap into intuition more than anything, especially if solo riding. 

But to answer your question...no! Live your life, ride your bike.

May 9, 2021, 11:18 a.m.

I live close to Seymour, so that is where I do 90% of my riding, mostly because I'm limited to 1-2 hours between work meetings, family stuff, kids' activities, etc. When I have a bit more time, I'll drive over to Fromme.  On the rare occasion I've got most of a day to myself, I'll go on an XC excursion over to Fromme for a couple of laps.  

Posted by: Kenny

I live at the bottom of Seymour and while I'm only am intermediate rider, I feel like I can pretty much learn new skills and new/better ways to ride those trails pretty much indefinitely.

Same here... the trails are well maintained, but they still morph enough over time that there's always something different to learn how to deal with.

May 9, 2021, 11:29 a.m.

For me it does.  I am fortunate to live next to Delta Watershed Park.  I quite literally have trails right outside my door.  These are my "go to" trails that I hit after work or if I am pressed for time.

But if I am planning on a weekend ride (3-4 hours door to door on a Saturday/Sunday), that weekend ride is never going to be at the Watershed (unless I am pressed for time and literally only have 20 minutes to get a quick rip in).

Seymour/Fromme/Woodlot/Thornhill are my current "go to's" for weekend rides.  I hope to add Burke/Eagle to this list very soon (I have only ridden each place once or twice ever, and that was back in 2007/2008 before I took a decade + off the bike).

Squamish/Whistler are "destination" rides that I hope to hit this summer for a couple of days, assuming COVID restrictions ease up.  My schedule being what it is I will likely never have enough time in a day to do a day trip to either place, or make it a weekend ride, so I have to combine it with a family camping trip or something.

The Island (Hartland/Tzoohalem/Prevost) are the trails I grew up riding and once COVID travel restrictions lift I plan to head over to visit friends & family and get some serious time on these trails (except for Prevost, I think I am too old and brittle for that trail network now.  The keen observer will notice that Cypress is not on my list above - for much the same reasons that Prevost is not on my list anymore).

Ledgeview/Sumas/Vedder are all on the to do list for this summer.  Again, being a little further away from home its hard to imagine I will be able to hit these on one of my weekend rides, so I will need to combine it with trips to the valley to visit/stay with family.

This is going to be my first spring/summer of riding in more than 10 years.  I broke my arm and buggered by knee at Whistler in June 2010, a month before my first child was born, and that was a real eye-opener for me.  It reminded me that there are things in life more important that my own personal satisfaction...  But now the kids have grown up a bit and I am starting to get a little more free time, I am back on the bike and really looking forward to riding with a level of excitement that I haven't felt since I first started riding, way back in 1997-1998.

May 9, 2021, 3:17 p.m.

Posted by: blackfly

I think to it depends on what you are trying to accomplish when riding.  Are you out for the ride or for deeper reasons?  I think for many it is simply about the fun of riding and that is it.  But to me riding has a much more significant impact to my fabric.  It is beyond passion.  If you simply ride to ride then Seymour gets you more "bang for the buck", but my best memories are of the ones that came the hard way. Or the rides that were pooched from the word go and nothing went right.  Sure wish the  Dump Trail was around today......

Well said!

May 9, 2021, 4:27 p.m.

I live 10 minutes from Eagle and Burke, and about 30 minutes from Thornhill. Personally I see no reason to ever go to the shore again. The trails out here are more suited to my preferences and they're not as busy.

Last edited by: thaaad on May 9, 2021, 4:28 p.m., edited 1 time in total.
May 9, 2021, 7:08 p.m.

35 minutes your at the woodlot:)

May 9, 2021, 7:36 p.m.

Posted by: Brother-Lu

Shhh...   ...parking is already thick there.

May 9, 2021, 7:44 p.m.

Yeah but I'm not a sender and I get the feeling all those trails will be above my pay grade

May 9, 2021, 8:14 p.m.

Posted by: thaaad

Yeah but I'm not a sender and I get the feeling all those trails will be above my pay grade

Nonsense, there lots of stuff there that doesn’t require sending it

May 9, 2021, 10:56 p.m.

Posted by: thaaad

I live 10 minutes from Eagle and Burke, and about 30 minutes from Thornhill. Personally I see no reason to ever go to the shore again. The trails out here are more suited to my preferences and they're not as busy.

yeah I struggle to find times when I don't feel like I'm old and in the way. riding I mean......