Does it matter where you ride?

May 10, 2021, 3:05 a.m.

I ain't broke, but I'm badly bent.  A tune for the mountain biker in your life.

May 10, 2021, 10:28 a.m.

Posted by: FLATCH

Posted by: Brother-Lu

35 minutes your at the woodlot:)

Shhh...   ...parking is already thick there.

I've only ridden the Woodlot once and the parking area that I was in only had enough spots for a handful of cars. Is that the only parking? Where would the overflow areas be?

May 10, 2021, 11 a.m.

Now that it's warmer in the early morning there's really no reason to get stuck in busy places. Mountain bikers are not early risers, we're not chasing pow but if you're chasing some solitude it's easy enough to find with a little planning. It feels extra virtuous to do an early start in a typically busy spot and be heading home just as the squid masses arrive late morning. In Squamish this is particularly satisfying.

May 10, 2021, 11:01 a.m.

I live near Fromme, so that's a daily rider for me. Seymour isn't too far, but I like to do longer circuits there, so that's a once-a-week ride. I love visiting new spots, and seeing different terrain.  I've been riding  on the Shore since '83, but I still enjoy all of the trails, despite knowing almost every rock and root by name. Even then, I find there's a decent variance in trails on those mountains...enough for me, anyway.

Does it matter where I ride? Sure...to a certain extent. Places like Whistler, or Squamish have a lot of great trails that I can enjoy, and could get many years of riding stoke. I can't say that about everywhere though. Some other places have great scenery and trail networks, but the type of riding would not keep me motivated for very long.  e.g. Laguna, CA or Crested Butte, CO But if I find myself in those areas, I am totally stoked to go for a ride and enjoy the hell out of them.

It's kinda like food....I could eat pizza every day, but I'd like some different toppings...or maybe tacos once in a while.

May 10, 2021, 12:54 p.m.

SFU already got dumped on, but I love riding here. If the only mountain biking I could do was 1 SFU lap a week for the rest of my life, I’d still own a mountain bike and it would still make me happy every time I rode.

May 10, 2021, 6:44 p.m.

Posted by: Bull_Dozer

Posted by: Brother-Lu

35 minutes your at the woodlot:)

Shhh...   ...parking is already thick there.

I've only ridden the Woodlot once and the parking area that I was in only had enough spots for a handful of cars. Is that the only parking? Where would the overflow areas be?

Keeps moving further up 123rd. The numbers We would usually see just after the park closes seems to be the norm now.

May 10, 2021, 6:46 p.m.

Posted by: tungsten

Posted by: thaaad

I live 10 minutes from Eagle and Burke, and about 30 minutes from Thornhill. Personally I see no reason to ever go to the shore again. The trails out here are more suited to my preferences and they're not as busy.

yeah I struggle to find times when I don't feel like I'm old and in the way. riding I mean......

You still run v-brakes?

May 11, 2021, 9:45 a.m.

Posted by: tungsten

Posted by: thaaad

I live 10 minutes from Eagle and Burke, and about 30 minutes from Thornhill. Personally I see no reason to ever go to the shore again. The trails out here are more suited to my preferences and they're not as busy.

yeah I struggle to find times when I don't feel like I'm old and in the way. riding I mean......

You still run v-brakes?

Roller-cam.

May 11, 2021, 5:49 p.m.

I try and ride places where I won’t likely see too many people. I’ll avoid certain places where I have a good chance of running into hands-on-her-hips Karen and her ilk. When I lived in North Van that meant going way up Seymour on the river side where there aren’t any trails that are on the map.

May 12, 2021, 2:08 p.m.

Some interesting responses here and many expected ones as well. Reading some of them makes me wonder if people's knowledge with the trails in a certain riding area comes into play as well. Like someone could be missing out on a bunch of good trails they had no idea existed as they've only ridden the main routes or popular mapped trails. If people got to explore some of the lesser known trails I wonder if that would affect their thinking. For example I don't go to Burke for many of the popular trails that people ride and instead go for the less travelled ones.