Does anyone carry bear spray?

Oct. 22, 2019, 10:35 p.m.

A few days ago a couple of conservation officers were chasing the bear near the top of blueridge.  Some interesting noises coming from the woods.

Oct. 23, 2019, 8:33 p.m.

At this point, it seems like the whole mountain is a bear zone, https://globalnews.ca/news/6057590/mount-seymour-scouts-bear/

There is a huge "Bear In Area" sign at the Old Buck Parking lot now.

Oct. 23, 2019, 9:49 p.m.

I never carry bear spray, though perhaps I should. Seen a couple of bears roaming about a month ago during a ride. We took a right & avoided them. We are traveling into their neighborhood remember. Let's hope none of them get hurt.

Oct. 24, 2019, 8:09 a.m.

Posted by: Stuminator

I never carry bear spray, though perhaps I should. Seen a couple of bears roaming about a month ago during a ride. We took a right & avoided them. We are traveling into their neighborhood remember. Let's hope none of them get hurt.

I have never heard of a bear attack on the Shore growing up here. Think with the increase of users, and lack of respect for posted signs and the animals themselves, that streak may come to an end.

Last edited by: Brocklanders on Oct. 24, 2019, 8:09 a.m., edited 1 time in total.
Oct. 24, 2019, 10:52 a.m.

There was the woman that got attacked on her doorstep a few years ago out in Coquitlam

Oct. 24, 2019, 12:13 p.m.

Posted by: syncro

There was the woman that got attacked on her doorstep a few years ago out in Coquitlam

Ya that was 10 years ago. Heard it was in her garden and she swatted it with a broom, pissed it off.

Young Girl was mauled a couple years ago in Coquitlam also. https://vancouversun.com/news/local-news/10-year-old-girl-injured-in-port-coquitlam-bear-attack-in-good-spirits

Oct. 24, 2019, 12:37 p.m.

Posted by: Brocklanders

Ya that was 10 years ago. Heard it was in her garden and she swatted it with a broom, pissed it off.

Young Girl was mauled a couple years ago in Coquitlam also. https://vancouversun.com/news/local-news/10-year-old-girl-injured-in-port-coquitlam-bear-attack-in-good-spirits

10 yrs?!? shit, time flies

Oct. 24, 2019, 1:11 p.m.

What do you guys think about throwing rocks at bears to scare them off?

A couple of years ago on a solo ride I ran into a bear blocking the trail on Severed. I stopped, kept my distance and talked to the bear for a bit ("yo bear"). Bear completely ignored me so I stood there for a while letting the bear do its things and kind of enjoying the moment, when a group or riders came up behind me. I stopped them and pointed out the bear and they immediately started yelling and throwing rocks at the bear. They kinda chased it halfway down Severed that way until it went off into the trees. I was flabbergasted.

My thinking is the rock throwing is unnecessary and could even piss off the bear which is not what you want. In all my (black) bear encounters, I've always just given them space (slowly backing up if necessary) and let them do their thing.

Oct. 24, 2019, 1:49 p.m.

piss off the bear and then it will want to stay away from people....  my thinking.

Oct. 24, 2019, 1:50 p.m.

Posted by: LoamtoHome

piss off the bear and then it will want to stay away from people....  my thinking.

i hear zedbra uses the surprise butt secks method to scare aware the bears, but now they hang out in his backyard. win-win i guess.

Oct. 24, 2019, 2:11 p.m.

Posted by: [email protected]

A couple of years ago on a solo ride I ran into a bear blocking the trail on Severed. I stopped, kept my distance and talked to the bear for a bit ("yo bear"). Bear completely ignored me so I stood there for a while letting the bear do its things and kind of enjoying the moment, when a group or riders came up behind me. I stopped them and pointed out the bear and they immediately started yelling and throwing rocks at the bear. They kinda chased it halfway down Severed that way until it went off into the trees. I was flabbergasted.

My thinking is the rock throwing is unnecessary and could even piss off the bear which is not what you want. In all my (black) bear encounters, I've always just given them space (slowly backing up if necessary) and let them do their thing.

Have seen this done in the Whistler Bike Park by instructors... not throwing rocks to hit the actual bear but tossing rocks in the general direction on the ground near it while shouting "hey bear, go bear" etc. Bears typically wandered off casually into the bush when this happens. Waiting them out is probably a better idea.

Oct. 24, 2019, 2:42 p.m.

Only heard of the bear being piss

Posted by: syncro

Posted by: Brocklanders

10 yrs?!? shit, time flies

Used to play mens league at 8 rinks when heard this story. A player on the RCMP team in our division told us the deets in the pub.

Oct. 24, 2019, 6:22 p.m.

Posted by: [email protected]

From https://northshorebears.com/aware

Black bear sightings on the North Shore are fairly common but encounters are less frequent. Black bears expel a lot of time and energy attempting to avoid people, usually by hiding in trees (their safe place). However, encounters between black bears and humans will inevitably happen and it is important that you know what to do:

Stay calm – take a deep breath

Speak calmly to the bear (in any language) - identify yourself as a human

Slowly back away – give bears lots of personal space and an exit. Do not run, you could trigger a natural chase instinct

Oct. 24, 2019, 8:40 p.m.

Unless you're on a mountain bike - then you try to get away from the bear...

Oct. 25, 2019, 12:19 a.m.

I can’t speak for grizzlies but I mostly ignore black bears when I come across them, and I come across them often

One knocked me right off my bike when I came around a corner and hit it. It took off.

I would just carry on your business and let the bear do it’s.