Does anyone carry bear spray?

Aug. 10, 2019, 8:05 a.m.

I was in Fernie for a few weeks and Canmore for a few days and it seemed that many riders carried bear spray with them strapped somewhere accessible. Both those places do have grizzlies at times but mostly black bears. Just curious about people’s thoughts on bear spray as I usually ride solo in Whistler and often in places that are off the beaten track.

Aug. 10, 2019, 10:15 a.m.

My animal behaviour prof worked very closely with bears for years - he was convinced that bear spray wouldn't stop a charging grizzly, but that it's real value was that it would give you enough confidence to not act nervous around them, which often causes them to get antsy.  He stoped carrying it years ago, and his students would carry it long enough to feel comfortable and then often not bother after a while.  The only bear incident he ever had was getting charged when he was with a student who couldn't relax around the bears.

I'd carry it, strapped to my bike, if I were riding in bear country.  I also holler "No Bear" or something similar regularly, when hiking or riding in bear country to avoid sneaking up on them, which is pretty easy to do on a bike or if they're all doped up on berries.

Aug. 10, 2019, 11:51 a.m.

Posted by: tashi

My animal behaviour prof worked very closely with bears for years - he was convinced that bear spray wouldn't stop a charging grizzly, but that it's real value was that it would give you enough confidence to not act nervous around them, which often causes them to get antsy.  He stoped carrying it years ago, and his students would carry it long enough to feel comfortable and then often not bother after a while.  The only bear incident he ever had was getting charged when he was with a student who couldn't relax around the bears.

I'd carry it, strapped to my bike, if I were riding in bear country.  I also holler "No Bear" or something similar regularly, when hiking or riding in bear country to avoid sneaking up on them, which is pretty easy to do on a bike or if they're all doped up on berries.

good advice, thanks

Aug. 10, 2019, 12:19 p.m.

I carry it.  It's good for more than just bears.

Aug. 11, 2019, 8:33 a.m.

Posted by: tashi

That makes sense. I’m not generally nervous when I come across black bears. I’ll make noise so they can detect me and give them space until they go away or I do. I did about three hours solo yesterday. On a steep climb on the Black Tusk road I came upon a small group. I had my bell dinging and I was whistling (badly) and was accused of being on an ebike because who whistles on a steep climb. Ha. But they heard me coming so any animals would too.

Aug. 11, 2019, 10:38 a.m.

The only time I have carried bear spray was in the Chilcotins. After getting up close and personal with a cougar on Frome recently, I may start carrying spray on all of my rides.

Aug. 11, 2019, 12:07 p.m.

From the two recent cases of guys escaping an attacking bear it looks like a small knife is more effective

Aug. 11, 2019, 2:39 p.m.

I usually have a sizeable knife too.

Aug. 12, 2019, 8:40 a.m.

Posted by: skooks

The only time I have carried bear spray was in the Chilcotins. After getting up close and personal with a cougar on Frome recently, I may start carrying spray on all of my rides.

I was in the same boat, only carry in more remote areas.... Lately have come in to contact with a few bears this summer,locally and out of town.  Now when running/riding solo on the shore am carrying my small bear spray canister. Also have a knife in my hip belt, not Rambo style but enough to do some damage.

Aug. 12, 2019, 2:44 p.m.

On short local trails I don’t typically bring it, I’m in Vernon. 

On anything going a bit deeper or further I do attach it to my bottle cage for ease of access. Maybe it’s a placebo but I figure it can’t hurt.

Aug. 14, 2019, 12:08 p.m.

I always have a smallish 4-5inch blade pocket knife. I wonder if a whistle would be effective to scare off a cougar that doesnt immediately take off?

Aug. 15, 2019, 8:45 a.m.

Posted by: Ddean

I always have a smallish 4-5inch blade pocket knife. I wonder if a whistle would be effective to scare off a cougar that doesnt immediately take off?

Well. A whistle may get a taxi and you can stick her in there and pay the cabbie to drive her far away. I do actually whistle for my dogs a lot, when I have them with me. 

PSA. A grizzly has been seen in the Sproatt area on or around Into The Mystic.

Aug. 15, 2019, 12:24 p.m.

I just rode the suicide creek area of Powell river by myself last month, no bear spray, just a 4" knife. I kept yelling "here boy", like i was with a dog but i wasn't and yelling "wooooo" a lot too.

Last edited by: BigFoot on Aug. 15, 2019, 4:16 p.m., edited 1 time in total.
Aug. 15, 2019, 2:30 p.m.

THIS is the video that freaks me out. In most of the cougar vids I see, the cougar hightails it out of there and isnt a threat, but the bad ass cat in this vid is different; I think that this guy was about to get attacked. 

Im of the (very naive, as Ive never even seen a cougar) view that if in a situation such as this (one where the cougar appears planning its attack) you need to attack the cougar before it attacks you. I think that cougars are calculating animals and unless its defending a kill, if you change whose terms the encounter is on its more likely to run away....but I dont know. I admit to being a bit freaked out about it lately..... especially since skooks saw momma cat and kitten where he did...I ride deep in the woods on the shore, alone almost all the time and in places where I can go 10 rides without encountering anyone on foot or on bike.....Like I said, Im spooked after googling some videos on it!

Aug. 15, 2019, 3:15 p.m.

When my 80 pound coonhound rode with me for the last 8 years before he had to retire from long trail rides, I never saw any animals up close on rides or runs. If we did it was way off in the distance.  Couple times we had seen a cougar I would command him to start barking and the thing would split. When anything was around he would act strange and start acting up that it was pretty obvious that something was in the area.  I have seen way more bears up close now he doesn't go on rides with me anymore.

Posted by: Ddean

is the video that freaks me out. In most of the cougar vids I see, the cougar hightails it out of there and isnt a threat, but the bad ass cat in this vid is different; I think that this guy was about to get attacked. 

Im of the (very naive, as Ive never even seen a cougar) view that if in a situation such as this (one where the cougar appears planning its attack) you need to attack the cougar before it attacks you. I think that cougars are calculating animals and unless its defending a kill, if you change whose terms the encounter is on its more likely to run away....but I dont know. I admit to being a bit freaked out about it lately..... especially since skooks saw momma cat and kitten where he did...I ride deep in the woods on the shore, alone almost all the time and in places where I can go 10 rides without encountering anyone on foot or on bike.....Like I said, Im spooked after googling some videos on it!

When my 80 pound coonhound rode with me for the last 8 years before he had to retire from long trail rides, I never saw any animals up close on rides or runs. If we did it was way off in the distance.  Couple times we had seen a cougar I would command him to start barking ( bark is ears ringing loud) and the thing would split. When anything was around he would act strange and start acting up,  it was pretty obvious that something was in the area.  I have seen way more bears up close now he doesn't go on rides with me anymore.

The only time an animal didn't back off was last year on the traverse trail over to Antagonizer from BLT. A Huge Coyote tracked us and the dogs for a long ways, wasn't too worried but surprised how long it was tailing us.