DJ Clean-up Crew

Aug. 12, 2004, 10:58 a.m.

This thread concerns the people that live and/or ride in the Greater Vancouver area:

I just rode at Oak on Monday for a bit with Simon Nowak and on Tuesday for a few hours as well. The jumps aren't doing so well. They're quite dry, in need of a hose or a light rain and a few of the lips are eroding. I collected (and counted) 23 slushie straws which I picked up off the ground there. There are tons of glass shards on the jumping area but apparently they've been there pretty much since the jumps were first built. I only saw one twenty-something year old guy ride through, he talked to us for a few min., hit the small set and rode off. Other than him, I saw no one arrive there for jumping purposes both of the days I jumped there. I think that the main reason for this is because of the current condition of this lot behind Eric Hamber Secondary @ Oak + 37th.
I also rode Loutet on Monday before coming out to Oak. The Loutet rhythms are basically all good at the moment yet H20 is kindof needed. There's no garbage there thanks to the bag hanging on the power pole. The set that mainly needs minor fix-up and water is the huge middle set. The step-up still remains to appear unfinished. I jumped there with a girl my age (15) from PoCo and 3 NV Locs.
I was thinking about organizing (with the help of a few bros) a DJ Clean-up Crew. Van City really needs some of it's jump parks fixed up (eg.replacing bad dirt, shoveling, watering, packing, cleaning up garbage etc.)
I'm guessing the biggest, baddest, best quality jumps in Van are the supposedly secret shore jumps which I've heard of numerous times called "The Hoodlums". I think jump parks: a.)provide a provide a place for riders to chill and dial tricks. (b.)help form up-and-comers. and (c.)can be an inspiration for visitors to get a park started in their community.
I think that if thisgroup thing (up to around 60 people) worked out, there'd be peeps riding Oak and such all the time and people would be able to hone their skills more easily. I think that once I get about 20 people interesting, this little project is a go.
I live on the Sunshine Coast (about 2 hrs. away from downtown) but I'm always down to come to Van to ride or participate in events such as trail days. So if you're interested and wouldn't mind giving up one day of your weekend every second week, please post a positive response telling me you could make it. If not, at least consider supporting this idea.
Thank you for your time and have a good day/night. :)

Aug. 12, 2004, 11:20 a.m.

the dirt at oak is so damned bad its not even funny. Ive spent days and days there digging (more than a year ago) and seen it deteriorate. the only possible time to work on it is in the winter, but just seeing it fall apart again is depressing. a lot of people fucked it up this winter making too many changes, which that place cant handle (notice that the only set thats really ridable now is the small, the one that hasnt been changed, or just very minimally)

I think oak needs a set plan and very good quality building this winter if its gonna live.

Aug. 12, 2004, 1:10 p.m.

Then we should work on the plan yes no?

protect tom mcdonald at all costs

Aug. 12, 2004, 1:38 p.m.

Originally posted by aShogunNamedMarcus
Then we should work on the plan yes no?

yep! :D it would be great to see this place rise from the ashes.

Aug. 12, 2004, 3:43 p.m.

I work just on the south side of the Knight St Bridge so I'm fairly close. If this takes off, I'd be more inclined to clean it up during the week than against the weekend. Maybe even a monday evening clean up would save some work opposed to cleaning it up on sat morning or afternoon. It could possibly make the jumpers more inclined to put their crap away when they jump if its a mess when they show up [HTML_REMOVED]who knows[HTML_REMOVED].

protect tom mcdonald at all costs

Aug. 12, 2004, 5:17 p.m.

Originally posted by aShogunNamedMarcus
I work just on the south side of the Knight St Bridge so I'm fairly close. If this takes off, I'd be more inclined to clean it up during the week than against the weekend. Maybe even a monday evening clean up would save some work opposed to cleaning it up on sat morning or afternoon. It could possibly make the jumpers more inclined to put their crap away when they jump if its a mess when they show up [HTML_REMOVED]who knows[HTML_REMOVED].

I don't think that would really work because unfortunately, us kids have school on weekdays, and I don't think a weekday night would work well for very many people.

Aug. 12, 2004, 7:32 p.m.

One question, If we were maintaining the jumps in the summer how will we get water? other than that problem being in the way im all for helping with the jumps. We should have a trail day and set up some plans for the jumps so everybody know what needs to be done.

Aug. 12, 2004, 7:44 p.m.

Originally posted by axx
One question, If we were maintaining the jumps in the summer how will we get water? other than that problem being in the way im all for helping with the jumps. We should have a trail day and set up some plans for the jumps so everybody know what needs to be done.

Hook up a hose to a tap from a nearby house(after asking permission), school or community center.

Aug. 13, 2004, 12:17 a.m.

its nearly impossible to fix jumps roudn this time of year from the heat……you pretty much have to get a line packed in before the heat or your screwed……hoses do help alot though

www.hootsgear.com
www.243racing.com

Aug. 13, 2004, 2:11 a.m.

thats a great idea.

but unfortunately for every one person that comes and helps there are 5 people who litter and just trash the jumps in general. i think thats why Oak isnt being worked on and other such jumps are needing repair.

Being an agoraphobic adrenaline junkie would be pretty convenient, because you could get your rush from just going to the store to get some milk instead of having to jump off a mountain or out of an airplane.

they also call me "balloon"

Aug. 13, 2004, 2:14 a.m.

me and at least four buddies i can think of off the top of my head go to ubc and ride oak a lot. starting in september, we can help, we did form the lips a bit last year, but i totally agree with an earlier comment that too many changes were made. there needs to be a plan for oak that everyone who shovels there follows.

Aug. 13, 2004, 9:50 a.m.

Originally posted by Troup
[B. The jumps aren't doing so well. They're quite dry

well it is summer and its been very hot and dry this summer so im pretty sure most jumps are dry!

Aug. 13, 2004, 9:56 a.m.

ok and then lets build some dj's in Surrey

minus signature

Aug. 13, 2004, 11:20 a.m.

Originally posted by The RiPPer

Originally posted by Troup
[B. The jumps aren't doing so well. They're quite dry

well it is summer and its been very hot and dry this summer so im pretty sure most jumps are dry!

** No shit Curtis, but you only ride the Coast and Whistler, not Vancouver, so I don't think you need to reply to this thread. Anyways, obviously the jumps are dry, because "it's been very hot and dry this summer" and there hasn't been a lot of water packed into the jumps.

Aug. 13, 2004, 11:45 a.m.

accually ive ridden in van a few times …….no djs but mountain and one little park !and i can reply in any thread i want u little shit so F*** off!