District of North Vancouver Natural Areas Trails Strategy Survey

May 2, 2022, 2:48 p.m.

The District of North Vancouver is starting to develop a strategy for planning and management of natural area recreational trails.

Love our trails? Tell us what matters to you in the online survey, open until May 23, 2022.

Survey here

May 2, 2022, 3:47 p.m.

Done!

May 2, 2022, 7:29 p.m.

Done

May 2, 2022, 7:47 p.m.

Thanks all!

I forgot to mention if you could put in a good word inside the survey for the Independent Builders on  Pipeline / Fromme that would be of great help.

As of April 29th the builders of Pipeline can no longer do any maintenance until further notice. Due to recent unsanctioned / unapproved building on Seymour

the DNV wants us to sign a new builders agreement that we will not sign due to the wording and requirements of commercial general liability insurance for each builder

of Pipeline.

See sections 20 - 24 

Section 23 is especially alarming and we the builders will not take on all liability of a fully sanctioned trail with

building plans approved by the DNV. 

Thanks again!

May 2, 2022, 8:03 p.m.

Done, with a focus on dogshit bags and encouraging high level trails 

And my tires rarely leave the ground.

How do we solve the dogshit bag problem?

Last edited by: heckler on May 2, 2022, 8:17 p.m., edited 1 time in total.
May 2, 2022, 8:06 p.m.

Posted by: Silk

Thanks all!

I forgot to mention if you could put in a good word inside the survey for the Independent Builders on  Pipeline / Fromme that would be of great help.

As of April 29th the builders of Pipeline can no longer do any maintenance until further notice. Due to recent unsanctioned / unapproved building on Seymour

the DNV wants us to sign a new builders agreement that we will not sign due to the wording and requirements of commercial general liability insurance for each builder

of Pipeline.

See sections 20 - 24 

Section 23 is especially alarming and we the builders will not take on all liability of a fully sanctioned trail with

Thanks again!

This here is why Interriver Park doesn't have a wooden skills park any more.

May 3, 2022, 11:23 a.m.

That's really unfortunate that a few people's actions have resulted in a significant impact on many of us. I sure appreciate the work you have done on pipeline, and hope this gets resolved.

May 3, 2022, 12:09 p.m.

Don't they realize that will just result in all builds/builders becoming unsanctioned? Damn the government are a bunch of wierdos.  Maybe this is a move to have trail work only be performed by contracted trail building companies". 

I don't even know how a random unincorporated trail builder would obtain CGL to be honest. I am a self employed consultant and who belongs to a professional practice organization and have a limited liability company, and even then theres quite a few hoops to jump through, and none of it is cheap.

May 3, 2022, 2:02 p.m.

Jeez.. is this level of red-tape and insurance bullshit just reserved for trail builders, or are any other volunteer programs which intersects (however tangentially) with DNV also afflicted??

May 3, 2022, 3:11 p.m.

Thanks all!

of Pipeline.

See sections 20 - 24 

Thanks again!

That's so nuts! 5 million CGL is friggin expensive, and having to name the DNV is also wild. I'd love to hear an insurance broker take on this; CGL for a bike trail builder must be incredibly hard to find.

May 3, 2022, 4:32 p.m.

Posted by: Coiler

Thanks all!

I forgot to mention if you could put in a good word inside the survey for the Independent Builders on Pipeline / Fromme that would be of great help.

of Pipeline.

See sections 20 - 24

Thanks again!

That's so nuts! 5 million CGL is friggin expensive, and having to name the DNV is also wild. I'd love to hear an insurance broker take on this; CGL for a bike trail builder must be incredibly hard to find.

Yeah, and it's not really the broker though, it's the underwriter/risk assessor people and this is all calculated based on the historical claims for any given industry. These guys are box checkers and I doubt there's a box for "chainsaw in the woods building stuff".

Unless the DNV actually worked with an insurance company to help organize an insurance policy specifically for trail builders, this will be next to impossible to obtain, because it literally doesn't exist.

Last edited by: Kenny on May 3, 2022, 4:32 p.m., edited 1 time in total.
May 3, 2022, 6:47 p.m.

Presumably, NSMBA has (or requires) this insurance so does this mean an end to independent trail builders?

Just wondering: which trails are managed by independents v NSMBA?

Last edited by: SixZeroSixOne on May 3, 2022, 6:49 p.m., edited 1 time in total.
May 3, 2022, 7:52 p.m.

Posted by: SixZeroSixOne

Executioner, Upper / Lower Crippler, Pipeline and I think Salvation. 

Basically all of the all of the long standing North Shore builders with 20+ years experience are being hit by this.

May 3, 2022, 9:32 p.m.

Posted by: SixZeroSixOne

Executioner, Upper / Lower Crippler, Pipeline and I think Salvation. 

Basically all of the all of the long standing North Shore builders with 20+ years experience are being hit by this.

That really sucks. Is this the result of some bad behaviour by some new builders on Seymour?

May 4, 2022, 11:08 a.m.

Posted by: Kenny

Posted by: Coiler

Thanks all!

I forgot to mention if you could put in a good word inside the survey for the Independent Builders on Pipeline / Fromme that would be of great help.

of Pipeline.

See sections 20 - 24

Thanks again!

Yeah, and it's not really the broker though, it's the underwriter/risk assessor people and this is all calculated based on the historical claims for any given industry. These guys are box checkers and I doubt there's a box for "chainsaw in the woods building stuff".

Unless the DNV actually worked with an insurance company to help organize an insurance policy specifically for trail builders, this will be next to impossible to obtain, because it literally doesn't exist.

You're absolutely right. I am a forestry consultant, recently worked on a really unique project and the client required 5 mill CGL. Although the context is totally different, in my experience getting an underwriter to insure unique work is very difficult, and the few that are willing to do it charge crazy high insurance premiums.