Decision 2008! NSMBA Annual General Meeting TONIGHT! (Nov 20)

Nov. 17, 2008, 10:42 p.m.

sorry lee, i took a quick look here and it seemed to be more about jerseys and prizes.

it's only a few days away but let's list up our ideas for stuff we might like to address at the agm:

Date: Thursday, November 20th

Time: 7:00pm

from me

1. two seperate divisions of the NSMBA, the dirt side and the paper side.

- the dirt side involves trail day prep, leading the days, mini trail days, questions about trail maintenance, etc. all volunteer positions.

- the paper side involves getting grants, organizing the ripper, dealing with land owners, etc. volunteer and one or two paid positions, one being part time the other being very part time.

2. a trail committee that determines the type of work to be done

3. name change? put some serious thought into this over the year and slate it as an agm item for 2009.

Would people actually volunteer for dealing only with the paper side of things? That's awesome. (I'd snap for sure)

most paper side stuff would be dealt with by the paid positions.

We don't know what our limits are, so to start something with the idea of being limited actually ends up limiting us.
Ellen Langer

Nov. 17, 2008, 10:46 p.m.

with your sweat. :fro:

they're for people that came out to three trail days. We pretty much made just enough for the people that put in the most effort.

here's another agenda item that's also been talked about before : branding the nsmba or whatever the name may be and using the brand to sell gear to help support and promote the organization.

We don't know what our limits are, so to start something with the idea of being limited actually ends up limiting us.
Ellen Langer

Nov. 18, 2008, 11:19 a.m.

You all forgot the final item for the Agenda, "To the Pub for beers." No meeting is complete without beer, even if we have to wait until the end.

Nov. 19, 2008, 9:42 a.m.

hear! hear!

I second the motion

Nov. 19, 2008, 10:29 a.m.

No meeting is complete without beer

That's why we have our meetings in the Banquet Room at our local pub. :smokey:

River City Cycle Club - www.rivercitycycle.ca

Comox Valley Mountain Biking - www.cvmtb.com

Nov. 19, 2008, 9:50 p.m.

Stream it live on the web so I can watch it from Colorado.

If my name gets drawn for the Knolly and I am not there do I still win? Thats my all important question oh and would be nice to hear Lee's questions addressed.

Nov. 19, 2008, 10:45 p.m.

Two director nomination forms have trickled in at the last minute. Check them out here at the bottom of the page.

Make sure to bring your questions and ideas for discussion tomorrow.

web: nsmba.ca
email: [email protected]

Trails for all, trails forever.

Nov. 20, 2008, 8:27 a.m.

Two director nomination forms have trickled in at the last minute.

There are only two on the page. Is that it? What happens if you don't get enought nonminees to fill the board?

Nov. 20, 2008, 10:52 a.m.

Hey guys,

this is my first time heading to one of these meetings…

This is the location: Jaycee House, 1251 Lillooet Rd, North Vancouver

Google says go here

looks pretty easy to find.

Also, i'll be driving from work and returning to downtown after if anyone would like to carpool or a ride back downtown.

Leaving from the VANOC buildings, Boundry and 1st.

Nov. 20, 2008, 11:16 a.m.

There are only two on the page. Is that it? What happens if you don't get enought nonminees to fill the board?

then you get vollen-told into it…actually I was wondering the same thing.

"only the good riders wipe out on the easy stuff" - Heathen

Nov. 20, 2008, 11:21 a.m.

What happens if you don't get enought nonminees to fill the board?

Maybe I'm off the mark here but this is what I read on the "Rules" section of the AGM page:

"Any positions left vacant will revert to the person who previously held that position, until the directorate can appoint a suitable replacement."

Nov. 20, 2008, 11:29 a.m.

^^ That's one of those "looks good on paper" policies, that doesn't really fly in the real world. I'm in the IT world where you have to plan for every outcome or shit happens. I was part of a university club where they decided to change the AGM voting rules without thinking of all the implications. Guess what, shit happened, complete failure of the vote, and another AGM had to be scheduled.

Maybe NSMB isn't the best place for this discussion. I'll read the full organisation rules and raise the issue tonight if I still have concerns.

Nov. 20, 2008, 11:37 a.m.

This is the location: Jaycee House, 1251 Lillooet Rd, North Vancouver

Google says go here

once again, Google is correct. Free parking in behind, and on the street. You can also take a bus to Capilano college and walk less than 5 minutes from there.

Nov. 20, 2008, 11:53 a.m.

Then the NSMBA files for protection under the Bankruptcy and Insolvency Act; applies to become a bank-holding company and can access billions and billions of federal funding. The directors can give every bikers in North Van a pair of bib shorts and a ti hardtail and everyone goes away happy.

Serious answer - I don't know

Nov. 20, 2008, 12:12 p.m.

the NSMBA is a BC society so unless their bylaws provide otherwise (ie it raises the minimum number) they need a minimum of 3 directors to operate. any less then that they're in contravention of the Society Act and likely would be unable to operate.