Dear Woodro Part 3

Sept. 10, 2015, 1:42 p.m.

What's with all the new and anonymous accounts?

It is easy to dodge our responsibilities, but we cannot dodge the consequences of dodging our responsibilities.
- Josiah Stamp

Every time I see an adult on a bicycle, I no longer despair for the future of the human race.
- H.G. Wells

Sept. 10, 2015, 3:40 p.m.

going to take more than
some internet douchery
to ruin that rep

Woody's rep you say
Went out the window long ago
Big man - little man

Sept. 10, 2015, 4:39 p.m.

Not true. I would argue they have all of those things with the possible exception of authority, just not exclusively so.

The NSMBA is the democratically elected body that represents mountainbikers on the shore. Lee has some potentially legitimate gripes with how they are conducting their employee contracts, but they are the body that negotiates with landowners/managers on all trail and access issues, and as such it is in the communities interest to work with discussion/input from the NSMBA, if not directly under their jurisdiction.

Now, the particular area of land in question is an anomaly as by all accounts the landowner is absent and has shown no interest in limiting or controlling trail development. I would still argue it's in the community's interest to work with guidance/input from the NSMBA so that we don't end up with a tangled mess of shitty trails where everyone just takes it upon themselves to build what they want. Fortunately all the builders involved so far know what they're doing and this hasn't happened, but if you make exceptions for one party who says you do and don't make exceptions for?

Also, can the Haiku writers cut it out? It adds nothing to the discussion and just needlessly bumps the thread.

I didn't elect them and they don't represent me on the shore. I'll speak for myself thank you very much!

The raw, primitive, unrefined trails that see little to no maintenance are the kinds of trails that really build skill. What kind of skills do you learn riding a trail that was made by a machine, groomed to perfection and void of any rocks, roots or other obstacles that could send you careening over the handlebars?

Sept. 10, 2015, 5:31 p.m.

I didn't elect them and they don't represent me on the shore. I'll speak for myself thank you very much!

Direct your thank-you's to the NSMBA.

Agree or disagree with them, their advocacy efforts are a big reason we can ride without hassles.

Sept. 10, 2015, 6:07 p.m.

Agree or disagree with them, their advocacy efforts are a big reason we can ride without hassles.

Actually the work done by Sharon,Lee etal is the reason we can ride.

The raw, primitive, unrefined trails that see little to no maintenance are the kinds of trails that really build skill. What kind of skills do you learn riding a trail that was made by a machine, groomed to perfection and void of any rocks, roots or other obstacles that could send you careening over the handlebars?

Sept. 10, 2015, 7 p.m.

I noticed that many of locals posts have been deleted - completely gone, as in a Mod had to delete them. I guess he was embarrassed by his own gibberish.

Sept. 10, 2015, 7:17 p.m.

We need someone in the NSMBA that can work well with people. Someone that is approachable and responsible and amicable towards all the various trail users/builders. The NSMBA is not the be-all-end-all to the North Shore MTBR community.

Lee is articulate, assertive, and his approach here on the forum is reasonable if his beef is true.

Let's get a new person there or see a swift resolution to this dispute and an agreement on both sides to work together within some framework designed by the parties.

Otherwise, sorry to say, it's a tough job, but not one for a macho bully or hothead or someone that avoids sharing any insight into allegations online.

I think Mark Wood has done a great job as program director, that is to say directing the TAP program, builders academy, etc. Even though I am firmly in the "against" camp when it comes to "dumbing down" trails, one cannot deny the success of the TAP program.

That being said, it seems to me he is overstepping his bounds when it comes to implementing "his vision of the shore". I think that falls to the NSMBA board of directors. I would hope they would work collaboratively with both NSMBA affiliated builders and independent builders alike. That is how it works in the rest of the province.

Sept. 10, 2015, 7:51 p.m.

I noticed that many of locals posts have been deleted - completely gone, as in a Mod had to delete them. I guess he was embarrassed by his own gibberish.

:O

Sept. 10, 2015, 8:33 p.m.

Also didn't join the board until a couple days after Lee started this thread.

Pretty sad, actually.

It is easy to dodge our responsibilities, but we cannot dodge the consequences of dodging our responsibilities.
- Josiah Stamp

Every time I see an adult on a bicycle, I no longer despair for the future of the human race.
- H.G. Wells

Sept. 10, 2015, 8:50 p.m.

Woody's rep you say
Went out the window long ago
Big man - little man

i started asking around about lee and mark after Dear woodro part 2.
i got told that lee can get very very angry, while some stuff i heard about mark is just f!@#ed up.
i suggest people let this thread die and start asking around themselves.

Sept. 10, 2015, 9:05 p.m.

Shar and Lee were active with the Alpine Rec Study process in the mid 2000s which sanctioned Fromme trails. None of the current directors were involved in that process - not a single one. At that time Mark Wood was on a cruise ship somewhere.

So tell me how current riders owe NSMBA thank yous for legitimizing trails?

Sept. 10, 2015, 10:04 p.m.

Shar and Lee were active with the Alpine Rec Study process in the mid 2000s which sanctioned Fromme trails. None of the current directors were involved in that process - not a single one. At that time Mark Wood was on a cruise ship somewhere.

So currently the NSMBA is useless?

Thinking that we should be grateful to the current NSMBA, is not a slight on what Sharon or Lee have done for our Community, nor does it warrant diminishing the efforts of the current leadership.

I've heard both sides. I am grateful for both their contributions. While I think the situation is shameful, my opinion on the story remains neutral, because as with all disputes, the truth lies somewhere in the middle.

Sept. 10, 2015, 10:06 p.m.

Ummmmm….'cause they have being carrying on representing the business of our community organization to the best of their ability as a fairly elected board?

Obama had nothing to do with invading Iraq man. In fact, none of his administration were even involved in the process - "not a single one". George W. is the shit dude, Obama got nuth'in on him……

Seriously man, that kind of rationale is weak. Just because L[HTML_REMOVED]S happened to be around during some of the historically formative times of the NSMBA they should be given a free ride waging a public vendetta trying to destroy someone's career? I take no sides in this but seriously, this is weak logic. Does that mean that Vince, Rashid, and Mark get a free ride 15 years from now for the hard work they are doing currently? Nah, I didn't think so. That would be asinine, right?

If Lee and Sharon have issues with the current NSMBA:

1) Run for a position and take care of business.
2) If they don't have the energy to fill an Executive position themselves, campaign for one of their chosen people to carry the torch.
3) If they have issues with Mark, follow the proper channels (e.g the RCMP, the NSMBA) or exert their power as voting members at the NSMBA AGM where ALL members can attend and vote on resolutions.

Sept. 10, 2015, 10:22 p.m.

Ummmmm….'cause they have being carrying on representing the business of our community organization to the best of their ability as a fairly elected board?

Obama had nothing to do with invading Iraq man. In fact, none of his administration were even involved in the process - "not a single one". George W. is the shit dude, Obama got nuth'in on him……

Seriously man, that kind of rationale is weak. Just because L[HTML_REMOVED]S happened to be around during some of the historically formative times of the NSMBA they should be given a free ride waging a public vendetta trying to destroy someone's career? I take no sides in this but seriously, this is weak logic. Does that mean that Vince, Rashid, and Mark get a free ride 15 years from now for the hard work they are doing currently? Nah, I didn't think so. That would be asinine, right?

If Lee and Sharon have issues with the current NSMBA:

1) Run for a position and take care of business.
2) If they don't have the energy to fill an Executive position themselves, campaign for one of their chosen people to carry the torch.
3) If they have issues with Mark, follow the proper channels (e.g the RCMP, the NSMBA) or exert their power as voting members at the NSMBA AGM where ALL members can attend and vote on resolutions.

Boozy is right. Lee and Sharon where involved in laying the foundation for the NSMBA and legitimate riding on the shore. They then left because it was a large commitment that they were tired of (who can blame them).

Zedbra, would your line of thought here be the same for a 25-30 year old doing Marks job? Keep in mind that would put them in their teens when Lee and Sharon were involved. Not saying Mark is that age but new blood is good. Cant keep the same dinosaurs around forever, although they should be respected (unless of course one chooses to act in ways which lose respect for them which Lee is trying pretty hard at)

Too be clear, I am not picking sides. Both have been overall positive for the shore although far from perfect in their actions.

I think the current NSMBA is doing a fantastic job overall even if some decisions are not what I would choose. Overall there is no doubt that mountain biking is the strongest it has been on the shore, which for some may be a negative because the numbers bring change to trails and crowds. Whether you like Mark or not, and whether he has misbehaved, he still has been doing a pretty good job but maybe could change his approach to certain aspects of his job.

Sept. 10, 2015, 10:48 p.m.

I wouldn't hire anyone, I would issue an RFP for each project (and that could be a combination of a few trails) and then let known builders submit their tender to get the job. This keeps everyone working hard, lets a Board decide on the overall vision (rather than one fellow), and spreads the knowledge around to many members. Kinda like every other org does, to prevent one bad apple from bringing down the rest of the group.

But hey - that's just my opinion. Everyone says they're neutral but quick to make judgements, so take that at face value.