Dear Woodro Part 3

Sept. 8, 2015, 9:09 a.m.

Sometimes I think that bb.nsmb is just a bunch of people, myself included, arguing with each other.

Other times I get this sneaking suspicion that more than a few are arguing with themselves.

I suppose I get why some level of anonymity is needed or desirable in order to maximize participation in a community such as this, but it seems like at least a one person//one user name rule would be helpful to decorum and promote honest interactions?

Apologies in advance if these are two different users who just happen to have similar voices.

Obviously this is an example and would go for anyone/everyone.

Drew

An ex coworker of mine started an online Vancouver based car Club years ago. His #1 rule for being a member was you had to use your first and last name as your user name. This prevented pretty much all fighting and is still a civil professional website apparently.

Sept. 8, 2015, 9:33 a.m.

"Excessive ‘flaming’ of other members of the community without their consent or participation, will be considered a serious threat, and a violation of the TOS."

Wouldn't flaming so excessive that the target felt the need to seek legal advice not apply here Cam? I would think the rules have been broken.

I'm not sure flaming means what you think it means, but please give us examples in this thread and we'll have a look. Although, as pointed out above, I'm not sure what members you are talking about.

Here's what wikipedia says:

Flaming is a hostile and insulting interaction between Internet users, often involving the use of profanity.

Sept. 8, 2015, 9:45 a.m.

If it helps get these threads shut down, I'll volunteer to be the 'victim' if anyone wants to give me a load of abuse :D

treezz
wow you are a ass

Sept. 8, 2015, 10 a.m.

If it helps get these threads shut down, I'll volunteer to be the 'victim' if anyone wants to give me a load of abuse :D

Hey there walleater
You stink like a feral skunk
Bend over and cry.

Yeah, I'm not very creative today. :(

Wrong. Always.

Sept. 8, 2015, 10:22 a.m.

I'm not sure flaming means what you think it means, but please give us examples in this thread and we'll have a look. Although, as pointed out above, I'm not sure what members you are talking about.

Here's what wikipedia says:

It's your sandbox. I know exactly what flaming means but I guess our interpretations of it are different.

Sept. 8, 2015, 10:26 a.m.

Sometimes I think that bb.nsmb is just a bunch of people, myself included, arguing with each other.

Other times I get this sneaking suspicion that more than a few are arguing with themselves.

I suppose I get why some level of anonymity is needed or desirable in order to maximize participation in a community such as this, but it seems like at least a one person//one user name rule would be helpful to decorum and promote honest interactions?

Apologies in advance if these are two different users who just happen to have similar voices.

Obviously this is an example and would go for anyone/everyone.

Drew

Drew, you're the kind of attitude that is needed around here and with NSMBA. I don't know you, but I'll buy you beers any day.

locals = Cabana

The one person, one account works well on a few other forums I am on. It is an instant ban for all accounts and any further accounts using the same details. It works well in that people know if they go too far, that they are held accountable as that same person. If they try the multiple accounts, they are gone for good.

Sept. 8, 2015, 12:05 p.m.

I wish I knew of
A doorstep where I could leave
Burning bag of shit

Wrong. Always.

Sept. 8, 2015, 12:11 p.m.

It's your sandbox. I know exactly what flaming means but I guess our interpretations of it are different.

Cool. So please show me where you've seen this in these threads and we'll deal with it.

Flaming is a hostile and insulting interaction between Internet users, often involving the use of profanity.

Sept. 8, 2015, 12:18 p.m.

Drew, you're the kind of attitude that is needed around here and with NSMBA. I don't know you, but I'll buy you beers any day.

locals = Cabana

The one person, one account works well on a few other forums I am on. It is an instant ban for all accounts and any further accounts using the same details. It works well in that people know if they go too far, that they are held accountable as that same person. If they try the multiple accounts, they are gone for good.

Different IPs.

Sept. 8, 2015, 12:22 p.m.

Different IPs.

talk nerdy to me, big guy. Maybe locals has a job?

Sept. 8, 2015, 1:02 p.m.

Thanks. I know a lot of people, with justification, would point out that I'm part of the problem nearly as often as the solution. But it isn't for a lack of caring.

I prefer to think this isn't about the NSMBA, although it is affecting it obviously. On paper and by personality the current team we have elected are awesome, inclusive people with a lot of experience and the skills to see the organization thrive.

I'm still holding out that they can/will resolve this issue between a long time member/volunteer/advocate and their employee.

Yeah. Not really to do with this thread in general but in changing the decorum in this forum to a more inviting one.

It was pointed out to me that in the short term it may (significantly?) reduce the post count but as Cam has said a number of times this bb. is a small part of their operation/revenue, so hopefully new members would more than make up for it overtime.

I do still feel removing anonymity would have a net benefit, but I understand why a number of long term contributing members are against it.

Mean People SUCK! Nice People SHOVEL!

Trails For All; Trails For Weather

Sept. 8, 2015, 1:38 p.m.

To use my real name
Would be career suicide
Bike executive.

Wrong. Always.

Sept. 8, 2015, 2 p.m.

Switch9 - I see you have thrice tried to send me a PM - but my inbox is full. I currently like it that way so feel free to send me an email.

Sept. 8, 2015, 2:21 p.m.

To use my real name
Would be career suicide
Bike executive.

You be whomever
There is no boom boom until
Money on nightstand

Sept. 8, 2015, 7:45 p.m.

Here's how it really started…

Mark and his attendant clip clop up Asian Adonis to a filthy trail fairy toiling on the trail.
MARK: Old woman!
LEE: Man!
MARK: Man, sorry. What land manager commissioned this trail?
LEE: I'm thirty seven.
MARK: I what?
LEE: I'm thirty seven. I'm not old.
MARK: Well, I can't just call you 'Man'.
LEE: Well, you could say 'Lee'.
MARK: Well, I didn't know you were called 'Lee'.
LEE: Well, you didn't bother to find out, did you?
MARK: I did say sorry about the old woman, but from the behind you looked
LEE: What I object to is you automatically treat me like an inferior!
MARK: Well, I AM trail boss…
LEE: Oh trail boss, eh, very nice. And how d'you get that, eh? By exploiting the workers! By hanging on to outdated imperialist dogma which perpetuates the economic and social differences in our society. If there's ever going to be any progress with the
SHARON: Lee, there's some lovely filth down here. Oh! How d'you do?
MARK: How do you do, good lady. I am MARK, king of the Shore Corps. Who's trail is this?
SHARON: King of the who?
MARK: The Shore Corps.
SHARON: Who are the Shore Corps?
MARK: Well, we all are. We're all Shore Corps and I am your king.
SHARON: I didn't know we had a king. I thought we were an autonomous collective.
LEE: You're fooling yourself. We're living in a dictatorship. A self-perpetuating autocracy in which the working classes
SHARON: Oh there you go, bringing class into it again.
LEE: That's what it's all about if only people would hear of
MARK: Please, please good people. I am in haste. Whose land is this?
SHARON: No one lives here.
MARK: Then who is your lord?
SHARON: We don't have a lord.
MARK: What?
LEE: I told you. We're an anarchosyndicalist commune. We take it in turns to act as a sort of executive officer for the week.
MARK: Yes.
LEE: But all the decisions of that officer have to be ratified at a special biweekly meeting.
MARK: Yes, I see.
LEE: By a simple majority in the case of purely internal affairs,
MARK: Be quiet!
LEE: but by a two-thirds majority in the case of more
MARK: Be quiet! I order you to be quiet!
SHARON: Order, eh? Who does he think he is?
MARK: I am your king!
SHARON: Well, I didn't vote for you.
MARK: You don't vote for kings.
SHARON: Well, how did you become king then?
MARK: The Lady of the Lake [angels sing] her arm clad in the purest shimmering samite, held aloft Excalibur from the bosom of the water signifying by Divine Providence that I, MARK was to carry Excalibur. [singing stops] That is why I am your king!
LEE: Listen Strange women lying in ponds distributing shovels is no basis for a system of government. Supreme executive power derives from a mandate from the masses, not from some farcical aquatic ceremony.
MARK: Be quiet!
LEE: Well you can't expect to wield supreme executive power just because some watery tart threw a shovel at you!
MARK: Shut up!
LEE: I mean, if I went around saying I was an emperor just because some moistened bint had lobbed a spade at me they'd put me away!
MARK: Shut up! Will you shut up!
LEE: Ah, now we see the violence inherent in the system.
MARK: Shut up!
LEE: Oh! Come and see the violence inherent in the system! HELP! HELP! I'm being repressed!
MARK: Bloody peasant!
LEE: Oh, what a giveaway. Did you here that, did you here that, eh? That's what I'm on about. Did you see him repressing me, you saw it didn't you?