Dear Woodro Part 3

Sept. 1, 2015, 8:26 p.m.

It's the kids I feel sorry for.

"I do like how you generally bring an open-minded and positive vibe to the threads you participate in"

- Morgman

Sept. 1, 2015, 8:41 p.m.

This is going beyond mere car crashes…..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xzkWTcDZFH0

love dat bridge.. so many lols.

Is there a Vancouver in Taiwan?! I had no idea!!

Nothing sums up my life's achievements like my stuffed corpse, suplexing a cougar.

Sept. 1, 2015, 8:57 p.m.

That's not how you hit a bridge…. THIS is how you hit a bridge:

Sept. 1, 2015, 9 p.m.

It's the kids I feel sorry for.

Someone think of the children….

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RybNI0KB1bg

Originally posted by Purecanadianhoney
I don't see how hard it would be to scrape out the head of your cock once in a while.

Sept. 1, 2015, 9:26 p.m.

This is going beyond mere car crashes…..

Yeah it's one of these….

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JJJFc773lgA

Freedom of contract. We sell them guns that kill them; they sell us drugs that kill us.

Sept. 1, 2015, 10:02 p.m.

Does anyone believe that getting (more) lawyers involved will improve this situation in any way?

Sept. 1, 2015, 10:34 p.m.

Does anyone believe that getting (more) lawyers involved will improve this situation in any way?

If it weren't for lawyers, we wouldn't need 'em.

Sept. 1, 2015, 10:43 p.m.

The cookie has spoken

Sept. 2, 2015, 4:22 a.m.

Lee, why escalate this further? You brought this to light in a dramatic public fashion. Why not just spend the money from the outset to involve a lawyer and bring this privately to Mark Wood?

I can't say Mark Wood is doing anything -ve to his reputation here. He has stayed out of the public light with what amounts to a private issue you have with each other. As it should really be.

It is obvious that you have purposely outed him for your own personal grievances, some of which were false. Your public approach is with great prejudice towards him and even if you have a good case, that your statements are true, your public axe-grinding has shone you in bad light. Further, you have not rubbed Mark's wood in a way that would massage the sensorium and effect the change you desire.

~ https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marshall_McLuhan#The_Medium_Is_the_Massage:_An_Inventory_of_Effects_.281967.29

But it does make the forums here much more interesting :ohthedrama:

Sept. 2, 2015, 7:51 a.m.

Well, this made me a little late for work. Public property and lawyers - not quite TV material but certainly entertaining thread material. Staying tuned…

Sept. 2, 2015, 8:38 a.m.

I'm usually not in favour of thread deletions and bans on internet forums, and I really enjoy the light hand of moderation that rules this place. But holy fuck this is ridiculous. You two douches want to battle it out with lawyers, go for it, but why do you have to air that shit out here… I would be more than happy if this thread and all related just 'disappeared'.

As I have said before, I would love to have this go away. It reflects terribly on our community and gives ammunition to those who oppose us.

Our desire to have this disappear must not influence the way we moderate this bulletin board. That would not be ethical and it would give the impression that we are taking sides in this dispute.

Abusing power is not in our mandate.

HA!

You are trying to tell us you don't actually love this drama?

Part 2 had 25k views.

Website traffic = advertising dollars no?

Keeping this bullshit alive gives people the ability to promote a minority opinion to community.

On a side note:
I also frequent the forum 67-72chevytrucks.com which based off a quick google search sees about the same traffic as nsmb. The difference in respect between users, and moderation is unbelievable.

With nsmb, more often than not, I find myself disappointed and angry after visiting this forum. As of right now I think the state of this forum does a poor a job of representing the north shore mountain biking scene.

Builder for hire.

Sept. 2, 2015, 9:01 a.m.

On a side note:
I also frequent the forum 67-72chevytrucks.com which based off a quick google search sees about the same traffic as nsmb. The difference in respect between users, and moderation is unbelievable.

I have a hard time thinking that a forum about old trucks would bring about any sort of political shitstorm though. Same goes for retrobike.co.uk that I look at for old MTB stuff.

Everything about modern MTBing (around here anyway) tends to be polarizing. Trail building / access / LBS Vs online Vs 'big box' / Strava / E-bikes / 'standards' / wheel sizes…. I could go on. The industry breeds a big pile of shit and everyone is left to kick it about…. :)

treezz
wow you are a ass

Sept. 2, 2015, 9:43 a.m.

i've got no dogs in this fight so i don't give a shit one way of the other . . . for those not directly involved (somehow) it's only words on a screen boys .

at the end of the day i hope we're all gonna get out and ride our bikes , whether they are on the trails of someones' vision or not .

this reminds me of a schoolyard tussle when class is over . . . mildly entertaining at best , black eye , bruises and hurt feelings at worst ; and the next day life goes on .

Sept. 2, 2015, 10 a.m.

HA!

You are trying to tell us you don't actually love this drama?

Part 2 had 25k views.

Website traffic = advertising dollars no?

Keeping this bullshit alive gives people the ability to promote a minority opinion to community.

On a side note:

With nsmb, more often than not, I find myself disappointed and angry after visiting this forum. As of right now I think the state of this forum does a poor a job of representing the north shore mountain biking scene.

Yes, BigEarl, that's what he is saying, and questioning the truth of it highlights that you probably don't know much about Cam, so here is just a sampler: He has contributed greatly to the north shore riding community over the years - through trail work and advocacy (including helping to lead the charge against Ernie Crist in the days when our future on these trails was truly perilous), and via founding and running this site (solo, for many years). He has repeatedly put individual gain in the back seat.

You may think that is offset by it being his 'job' but MTB media is no different than other industry positions when it comes to earning potential - you do this because you love it, not for the piles of money. No need to break out the violin, it's a good gig, but financial motivation is not a driving force.

Does traffic = advertising dollars? In a word, yes. How much do you think 25k views on this forum is worth? How many ads do you see here? One up top, and one down below. So I'll lay this out for you because a few others may also be interested: those 25k views probably earned… about 25 dollars. What a fucking payday! Know how many phone calls and emails Cam and others have dealt with as a result of this imbroglio? Let's just say that being involved in it - even as a carefully guarded neutral party - has been worth less than a dollar an hour. So, contrary to your cynical contention, leaving this thread up is actually costing us in terms of money, time, and headaches.

In 15 years, we've learned a thing or two about running a forum (not that we think we're perfect). And as much as some of the members on here are famously prickly and unwelcoming, the truth is that this forum is in better shape these last few years than it used to be, by a long way. That in and of itself is not a justification for wherever we would place it on the full-of-dicks meter, however unlike the Chevy site you mentioned, the forum is not our only concern at nsmb.com. That said, one of the things we have learned is how much our community appreciates the ability to use this forum to express an opinion. Here's where I get to quote you:

"Keeping this bullshit alive gives people the ability to promote a minority opinion to community."

1. Thank you for the compliment. That is exactly one of the reasons that forums like this have value to a community.

2. Were we to take your advice and remove this thread, we would be taking away that right to expression. That is called censorship - and we don't believe in it. We don't feel it is our right to control the message on here - that is what we do on the main page with editorial pieces and the curation of content.

3. Are we happy about this thread and its contribution to the problem? Of course not. This whole situation is equal parts childish, pathetic, and sad. But we're not taking sides, and we're not here to muzzle someone because we disagree with them. We have a ToS policy, and we stand by it. That is a necessary part of our ability to keep the respect of this forum's members. Once we start playing favourites or bending our own rules, we lose all respect (both from within and from the outside). It would be far easier for us to wade in and delete everything we don't agree with, but the repercussions outweigh the benefits, and anyway, we can bop this mole on the head but it'll just pop up somewhere else.

We care deeply about the MTB community and especially about the riders, builders, and trails here on the shore. And we truly appreciate that people from that community come here to discuss, express, and learn, even if it also means they will act badly on occasion.

I'm sorry to hear that your experiences here are not universally pleasant (sincerely - we do care about that shit), but fairness and the task of providing a forum for expression for the whole does, in this case, outweigh an individual's gripes.

Thanks for sticking with us, and thanks for your comment. I may not agree with your opinion (the preceding is proof) but I do want it known that you're welcome to express it.

Sept. 2, 2015, 10:01 a.m.

One positive is that in times like these, when there are feelings of chaos and doubt, there are surges in creativity. Check out this beautiful haiku for example.

http://bb.nsmb.com/showthread.php?p=2886518

Wrong. Always.