Dear Woodro Part 3

Sept. 11, 2015, 12:32 a.m.

U
3) If they have issues with Mark, follow the proper channels (e.g the RCMP, the NSMBA) or exert their power as voting members at the NSMBA AGM where ALL members can attend and vote on resolutions.

If you've gone through the thread, you would have read that the NSMBA was contacted more than once.

It is easy to dodge our responsibilities, but we cannot dodge the consequences of dodging our responsibilities.
- Josiah Stamp

Every time I see an adult on a bicycle, I no longer despair for the future of the human race.
- H.G. Wells

Sept. 11, 2015, 6:59 a.m.

I wouldn't hire anyone, I would issue an RFP for each project (and that could be a combination of a few trails) and then let known builders submit their tender to get the job. This keeps everyone working hard, lets a Board decide on the overall vision (rather than one fellow), and spreads the knowledge around to many members. Kinda like every other org does, to prevent one bad apple from bringing down the rest of the group.

But hey - that's just my opinion. Everyone says they're neutral but quick to make judgements, so take that at face value.

So, join the board and advocate for this position. If you do a good job in advocating then people will vote for your initiative at the AGM. If not, they won't. That's how it's supposed to work.

What confuses me is the idea that we can somehow 'do away' with the NSMBA entirely and the land managers will magically be OK with dealing with 20 or 30 different trail builders individually. I just don't see that as realistic. The whole point of the NSMBA is to provide the land managers with one group to communicate and plan with. That gives them a lot of incentive to work with the mountain biking community in a constructive way, especially when there are things like TAP and they can see that other groups such as the business community are on board. I'm not about to speak for the District or the GVRD but my assumption would be that they would not see as much value in a whole bunch of individual relationships with trailbuilders who may or may not have values in line with theirs.

It's clearly a touchy issue as telling people "you may not build on the shore without being under the NSMBA tent" seems unfair as well. But this is all 'managed' land and the managers have the ability and right to just shut it all down if they feel their interests and concerns aren't being respected. A sometimes dysfunctional organization is the price you pay for the massive official acceptance and progress we've seen over the past years. This is mountain biking in an urban setting. I feel like if people want to just go build trails on their own there are plenty of less populated areas where this approach is more appropriate and less fraught with complexity and pitfalls.

I get Lee's point that the overall vision for the shore shouldn't rest with one person. But I do think that maybe it should rest with one organization.

Sept. 11, 2015, 7:51 a.m.

Good points, gbot. Great points, actually. I think at hand here is the 'not being respected' point - where one person, in more ways than just listed here by Lee, is single handedly disrespecting many in the industry to protect a paycheque. TAP is good, the leadership is bad. NSMBA being blind or playing possum will cost them more than dollars in the long run - regardless of how the members vote.

Sept. 11, 2015, 8:07 a.m.

Yep. Gbot has said what I was getting at earlier in a much better way.

Sept. 11, 2015, 8:09 a.m.

Great post gbot….great points….but worst haiku ever…too many lines and syllables!!!!

Sept. 11, 2015, 8:26 a.m.

I'll be on Fromme tomorrow (September 12th) if you have questions to be answered.

Cheers,
Rachid
NSMBA Treasurer.

"I know that heroes ride bicycles" - Joe Biden

Sept. 11, 2015, 1:57 p.m.

I'll be on Fromme tomorrow (September 12th) if you have questions to be answered.

Cheers,
Rachid
NSMBA Treasurer.

Lee vs Mark thunderdome scheduled so this thread can finally go away? ;)

Originally posted by Purecanadianhoney
I don't see how hard it would be to scrape out the head of your cock once in a while.

Sept. 11, 2015, 2:51 p.m.

If I could I would
Drop a Coiler in this thread
I mean the Kona.

Wrong. Always.

Sept. 11, 2015, 4:49 p.m.

Cheers,
Rachid
NSMBA Treasurer.

Would be so much more interesting if this meet and greet occured in the conflict zone

Pastor of Muppets

Sept. 12, 2015, 5:41 p.m.

Pedal up Asian Adonis. Everyone's fave climb!

Oct. 2, 2015, 11:30 p.m.

Shar and Lee were active with the Alpine Rec Study process in the mid 2000s which sanctioned Fromme trails. None of the current directors were involved in that process - not a single one. At that time Mark Wood was on a cruise ship somewhere.

So tell me how current riders owe NSMBA thank yous for legitimizing trails?

I was involved in that as well. I went to five or six of those meetings. Very little came out of that.

We absolutely should be saying thank you to the NSMBA for the progress we've made.