Dear Woodro Part 1

July 11, 2015, 10:05 p.m.

I think the point that needs to be made here is that Woodro is posting as an official of the NSMBA and the Shore Corps. He is using his position to promote his personal opinion.

July 11, 2015, 10:29 p.m.

This thread may have gone to the dogs, but it could use one more retriever.

July 11, 2015, 10:47 p.m.

And here I was, surprised at the level of the drama in my daughters kindergarten class. This is ridiculous.

July 12, 2015, 12:09 a.m.

Really Lee? Someone got your knickers in a knot -? Calling out AA for what it is maybe and you dont agree with it? Mark has every right to post what he did - if its in a wiki-like forum which allows for multiple edits - however if Mark used his position within the NSMBA to gain the ability to alter the description, then you hav a legitimate beef - other wise I kind of agree with him - AA aint my bag. I dont like where it ends, it's kind of a convoluted exit from out in that part of the woods - the trail was a tonne of work, and was paid for so I believe that opens it up to more critical comments - someone does something out of their own pocket n sweat, it gets some leeway in the critique department. AA adds great variety to the shore, but it aint my bag. I bet Ewan probably would say it isn't his best work either, but that's just my opinion (dont rake me over having an opinion eh?) Sure Mark might have used a little more common sense in the delivery, but he trolled you pretty good and you bit hook-line n sinker. Now suck it up, spit out the lure and go ride yer bike. The only way anyone an get their own validated opinion of how much they like AA is to ride it themselves. Any info someone gathers up to the point of dropping in is superficial - give em the GPS of the trailhead and let em have at er.

And to the larger issue - if you really think that Mark can't express his opinion on a trail simply because of his position with NSMBA, be thankful that he does. You now are more informed of who Mark is and what he believes….

Im sick of the idea that somehow policy makers aren't allowed to express an opinion - if anything, Mark is now more transparent about the direction that he believe all things trail should be heading…good for him. If you are passionate enough about it (and all indicators are strong about your lifelong love of all things mtb) and think things are going in the wrong direction, then run for NSMBA next year…otherwise, cork it and quit trying to muzzle an opinion. Mark's had lots of criticism directed at him - he's a big boy. Im sure ha can take it - after all, online MTbers are probably the whiniest group I've ever witnessed (me included) - but you've taken it to the next level.

I'm ignoring Smedley.

July 12, 2015, 12:22 a.m.

your questions - as posted at leelau.net

Are Mark Wood's actions in changing Adonis's description to something derogatory and filing trail reports that are insulting authorized by the Board? - subjective opinion (derogatory/insulting) and no im sure they arent "authorized by the board"- they are his own opinon. did he state that he was speaking on behalf of NSMBA? no

Does the Board believe that Mark Wood's actions in changing Adonis's description to something derogatory and filing trail reports that are insulting good for the NSMBA's brand? Are they good for the Shore Corps brand? again subjective opinin on your part injected into a question - and again, unless he clearly says he is speaking on behalf of NSMBA, it is safe to assume that he is speaking only for himself -

What other descriptions of trails over which the NSMBA has no authority is Mark Wood planning to change on Trailforks or other online databases? whichever he very well pleases like changing..for you to attempt to muzzle his free speech because you may be insulted is pretty sad.. HTFU comes to mind

Mark Wood's online NSMBA profile mentions that "the Shore is my temple of worship! We have some of the greatest trails on the planet and it gives me great pride to build, maintain and improve our network.". How do Mark Wood's actions improve the North Shore trail network? I think much of what Mark has done on behalf of NSMBA has contributed greatly to improving the shore. ANd quite possible, his comments re: AA may be a more accurate description of what is is than what was there previously - although you may not agree…should we try to muzzle you now?

The NSMBA's mission statement is "Trails for All. Trails forever". How do Mark Wood's actions align with this mission statement? see above comments in red because i think you basically asked the same question twice

These are merely words on the screens. Mark's actions are bewildering and insulting but they are just mere words. Does Mark Wood intend to go further? As well as sabotaging trail descriptions does he intend to sabotage Adonis?

Paranoid much - hinting that Mark might do something more drastic because he states he doesnt like a trail is getting dam close to libel…and this last line really concerns me most - it provides me with more info about who Lee Lau really is, and I'm thinking I might not like you as a person when you resort to these tactics…

I'm ignoring Smedley.

July 12, 2015, 6:53 a.m.

It seems to me that that Woodro is the public face and representative of the NSMBA.

If he is asking as a rogue employee, maybe the NSMBA should change their employment structure and hire him as an independent contractor to run the things he's good at then he can express his opinion about things as an independent person that is not in line with the NSMBA's role and mission statement.

It was made clear in another post that Mark has admin abilities on Trailforks because of his role and representation of the NSMBA.

July 12, 2015, 9:50 a.m.

Didn't the other thread state that Woodro had deleted his NSMB account? If this is the case, maybe dropping the pretence of asking questions of him and simply stating why you think he's such a shitty dude would be a more direct way to get this important information out to the community. I'm giving you the benefit of the doubt and assuming that this is your intent, although I doubt it as I have a hard time anyone could actually be this riled up about "abuse of position" in the context of online trail descriptions.

Was the other thread started by an account specifically created by Lee to publicly and anonymously criticize Mr. Wood? Puss move if so.

How is your join date 2015 Lee? Haven't you been around here for ages? Now I really don't know who to believe…The real Lee Lau made a bunch of excellent contributions to MTB, his website is an awesome resource and source of inspiration - this Lee…I dunno.

July 12, 2015, 9:54 a.m.

Actually the other thread "dear nsmba" was originally about using chainsaws in extremely dry conditions. The whole Lee vs Mark thing came later in the thread and was not started by the thread starter, maximillion.

Ironically, the claim that Lee was posting as maximillion was brought by trail donkey…In his first post on the board ever. Trail donkey was extremely defensive of what trail fairy said about Woodro. Almost as if trail fairy had made those comments about trail donkey himself.

July 12, 2015, 10:23 a.m.

I was referring to a "dear Woodro" thread that's now gone. But I'm confused now. And admittedly don't care that much.

July 12, 2015, 10:23 a.m.

It's been many years since this board has seen 1-888-Angry Lee.

www.thisiswhy.co.uk

www.teamnfi.blogspot.com/

July 12, 2015, 10:27 a.m.

I was referring to a "dear Woodro" thread that's now gone. But I'm confused now. And admittedly don't care that much.

That thread was created by trail fairy. That thread was deleted and then this thread was started by Lee using a new account with his real name. Seems pretty straight forward to me.

July 12, 2015, 10:57 a.m.

I guess I'm just stupid then.

July 12, 2015, 11:25 a.m.

Didn't the other thread state that Woodro had deleted his NSMB account?

So that's why I couldn't find him!

Given that he won't be replying, what's the usefulness of continuing this thread? The longer it's up, the more it looks like an overreaction to his action on Trailforks.

July 12, 2015, 12:41 p.m.

The Trailforks stuff is not the end of the world but the alleged verbal abuse is a little different.

"I do like how you generally bring an open-minded and positive vibe to the threads you participate in"

- Morgman

July 12, 2015, 2:38 p.m.

A couple of days ago I rode up Good Sir Martin and then down Asian Adonis and pretty much had a good old time to myself. So much thanks to the builders of both.
Isn't it amazing that everyone spends so much time dicking about and arguing, yet, as far as I can see, not one single post on NSMB about 1km of new trail opening up.