Dear NSMB.com....

July 9, 2015, 10:54 a.m.

Not looking for calmed and reasoned, at least not here. But some of last few posts on the 'dear nsmba..' are bad.. racist, slander, muck racking.. lowest common denominator type discussion. Doesn't do anything to improve the thread, and reflects poorly on the community.

Perhaps an attempt at removing some of the anonymity that people hid behind might help raise the level of discussion? Anyone else have other ideas that might improve the level of discourse ?

we could make a better attempt to step back from the little pokes and serious jabs when disagreeing with someone. instead of including underhanded comments, simply keep things to "i disagree with A becuase of X and here's a link to my info."

We don't know what our limits are, so to start something with the idea of being limited actually ends up limiting us.
Ellen Langer

July 9, 2015, 11:23 a.m.

Not looking for calmed and reasoned, at least not here. But some of last few posts on the 'dear nsmba..' are bad.. racist, slander, muck racking.. lowest common denominator type discussion. Doesn't do anything to improve the thread, and reflects poorly on the community.

It's pretty bad when someone specifically hides behind the anonymity to make bold and 100% falsified slanderous statements.

July 9, 2015, 11:40 a.m.

I actually think this forum is surprisingly civil when you compare it to youtube comments, news article comments, pink bike, most other hobby based forums. The worst is when you have religious wingnuts. [HTML_REMOVED]-oops I probably offended someone right there.

Wrong. Always.

July 9, 2015, 12:07 p.m.

There are some pretty shitty people on Facebook who use their real names, I think in general the keyboard helps people feel more disconnected and thus more apt to be bigger assholes online than they are in real life.

Being cheap is OK. Being a clueless sanctimonious condescending douchebag is just Vlad's MO.

July 9, 2015, 12:45 p.m.

It's an issue all forums face. I would guess people often post on forums because of the anonymity.

this

for every anon spouting lies and slander, there are 2 offering an honest educated opinion that could jeopardize jobs or friendships if it weren't done anonymously.

WTB Frequency i23 rim, 650b NEW - $40

July 9, 2015, 12:59 p.m.

someone somewhere is writing a dissertation on the psychology of internet forums / comment sections and the tendency towards shitheadedness within. i don't think it was always this way, though. seemed to be a much more positive vibe when the various (bike) forums were in their infancy. we were all newcomers to the community, eager to chat about the sport we love. at some point since, ego [HTML_REMOVED] heaps of cynicism crept in. it does get tedious at times.

and: it's always a healthy policy to post nothing onine you wouldn't say to someone's face, or have broadcast to the general public.

July 9, 2015, 12:59 p.m.

It's pretty bad when someone specifically hides behind the anonymity to make bold and 100% falsified slanderous statements.

It's also a false sense of security they're hiding behind. No one is really anonymous on the internet. I'm good friends with a person that was sued for saying something "anonymously" on a message board.

Remember, anyone can file a lawsuit, and just because you aren't using your real name on this site doesn't mean you can't be tracked down amazingly easily…

Ride, don't slide.

July 9, 2015, 1:19 p.m.

Do tell… what was false? It was getting good

July 9, 2015, 2:01 p.m.

I think it is time high time for some beer drinking .

of course , we need to know . . .

where the fuck is raglans ?

July 9, 2015, 3:12 p.m.

It was there last week…

Don't tell me it's gone…

July 9, 2015, 3:37 p.m.

I think it is time high time for some beer drinking .

of course , we need to know . . .

Go home skid…yer drunk!

Pastor of Muppets

July 9, 2015, 3:39 p.m.

Everybody involved knows each other. Anonymity is only protecting a certain organization.

Pastor of Muppets

July 9, 2015, 6:20 p.m.

I'm pretty sure most people could figure out who trail donkey really is.

July 9, 2015, 6:54 p.m.

As a guy that doesn't know a ll the politics I think that the shit people were saying was getting out of hand. But ripping off the thread from nsmb just left me wondering if there's truth to the rumours. better to let that stuff stay and show the liars for who they are.

July 9, 2015, 6:58 p.m.

If its slander then why doesn't the person getting slandered sue? If its true, why is this person being protected?

As a guy that doesn't know a ll the politics I think that the shit people were saying was getting out of hand. But ripping off the thread from nsmb just left me wondering if there's truth to the rumours. better to let that stuff stay and show the liars for who they are.

The truth will set you free! Unless it doesn't…