Deactivated Trails and Stunts

July 8, 2014, 2:20 p.m.

From the other places I've lived and ridden at in BC, Fromme is the only place that not only doesn't have this, but from the attitudes on the board doesn't seem to want it. I can't figure out why.

As far as people's attitudes go, I've said it before. There's a lot of people on this board who need to get out more. Sometimes it seems like Fromme and Seymour are the only places they've ridden at in their entire lives…. It's a big world out there…. Go get some ideas on how other people live and ride in it.

they complain about nimbyism, then go all nimby

July 8, 2014, 2:35 p.m.

they complain about nimbyism, then go all nimby

Or maybe they would just prefer to see some other options to a solution to the parking issue at Coleman Street/Mountain Highway explored before dropping a 1500m2 parking lot in the forest. That was the original reason given for the parking lot idea. Now it seems to have turned into a "staging area" for tourists, events etc. There already are toilets and a drop off point.

My complaint is mainly about the size of the proposal, and how it may well change the character of the area. Other concerns were raised on other threads on this subject. I guess I'm guilty of derailling this thread early on and it's retreading old ground for some but I and plenty of other people I've spoken to feel pretty strongly about this.

July 8, 2014, 2:38 p.m.

I remember a time when there wasn't any trail signs… Somehow we managed. Part of the adventure of mtb'ing is exploring. I think it's more of the people getting "dumbed down" than the trails.
How much is this parking going to cost and how many trees are going to get hacked?

:canada:

July 8, 2014, 2:54 p.m.

Remind me again why we can't have this parking lot/staging area under the power lines off Braemar?

There's nothing better than an Orangina after cheating death with Digger.

July 8, 2014, 3:06 p.m.

I remember a time when there wasn't any trail signs… Somehow we managed. Part of the adventure of mtb'ing is exploring. I think it's more of the people getting "dumbed down" than the trails.
How much is this parking going to cost and how many trees are going to get hacked?

no trail signs and no maps, it was a nice adventure in one's own backyard! parking lot is about $500k i believe. There is plenty of street parking around, people just need to use common sense and not piss off the residents. Use the money for the trails.

July 8, 2014, 3:10 p.m.

Or maybe they would just prefer to see some other options to a solution to the parking issue at Coleman Street/Mountain Highway explored before dropping a 1500m2 parking lot in the forest. That was the original reason given for the parking lot idea. Now it seems to have turned into a "staging area" for tourists, events etc. There already are toilets and a drop off point.

My complaint is mainly about the size of the proposal, and how it may well change the character of the area. Other concerns were raised on other threads on this subject. I guess I'm guilty of derailling this thread early on and it's retreading old ground for some but I and plenty of other people I've spoken to feel pretty strongly about this.

Everything I've heard, it's all district, NSMBA hasn't had much say at all

As far as people's attitudes go, I've said it before. There's a lot of people on this board who need to get out more. Sometimes it seems like Fromme and Seymour are the only places they've ridden at in their entire lives…. It's a big world out there…. Go get some ideas on how other people live and ride in it.

That's silly talk. You're asking people who live in North Van to travel and cross bridges. I think they need passports, shots and visas for that.

July 8, 2014, 5:07 p.m.

I think they need passports, shots and visas for that.

I've heard travel insurance is really expensive to travel to areas across bridges too!

July 8, 2014, 5:45 p.m.

the motivation for that child was precipitated by hard access, it's a stretch to assign that generalization to either other children or adults as a whole. for some yes, for other, no. Sometimes I like easy access, other times I'll grunt for multitudes of hours to get somewhere. Syncro apparently had one experience with one child and is now saying everyone who wants a staging area is only motivated by 'easy' access and will in turn take everything for granted, an assertion which I wholly reject.

this is why open discussions go awry on here - people make wild assumptions based on preconceived bias. my post was an observation and then an open ended question based on that observation.

wrt to parking on fromme, do i think there is a need for a staging area? of course i do. however, i feel that when you consider all the factors, having it at the water towers is the wrong place. there are other locations that are better suited to the parking aspect but what they lack and will need is new access trails. is that not a great side benefit though? one would think that the possibility of two or three new climbing trails from parking areas that cause less traffic disruption and less environmental impact (wrt trees getting cut down) would be a win win for everyone.

the only downside is that you couldn't park your car just a short 10-15 min ride from bobsled.

We don't know what our limits are, so to start something with the idea of being limited actually ends up limiting us.
Ellen Langer

July 8, 2014, 6:05 p.m.

As a resident, the whole parking scenario in this area is just retarded anyway. Around Kilmer Park on any given night and especially weekends, there is literally no street parking due to general use of the LSCR, events in the LSCR, and baseball / soccer at Kilmer Park. Yet there are no parking restrictions here. 2 blocks away on Coleman or higher you need a permit?

The parking lot is needed. Maybe it's a bit big. But when I go up past Bobsled on a Saturday and there is 20 people at any given time getting ready to drop in, there is clearly a demand. And it's not Strava whores, it's people putting on full gear cause they are learning how to ride.

Lots of other places have parking and staging areas. Sumas, Burnaby Mtn, Bear, Burke, Delta Watershed, Galibrath, Vedder to a degree, Seymour even technically has one.

Between parking lots and trails like Bobsled and Expresso I've never seen a group of people get so upset and up in arms over something that is in demand that would help to grow a sport for the greater good in all my life. What is an even bigger piss off is it's all on the internet. When people have a problem they can't actually show up at a meeting and express it. But it's cool to go home and cry about it on the internet. I'm just as bad right now, but clearly if I express my opinion on the internet haters at a meeting they won't be there to hear it.

July 8, 2014, 9:03 p.m.

Back in the day I used to pedal my 47lb freeride bike to 7th with a 36t and a tensioner and flat pedals …in bare feet. In rainy sleety snow. And I loved it.

Shoes were for wimps who complained that the wood was slick!

July 8, 2014, 9:48 p.m.

I just hope that everyone commenting here about the parking lot also gave their comments to the DNV during the comment period.

Posting is typically a waste of time on this ass-munching circle-jerk of a forum. Whereas providing your feedback to the DNV may actually accomplish something. But I guess that would actually require some effort.

July 9, 2014, 5:55 a.m.

Somebody Rep grumpy builder for me.

July 9, 2014, 6:58 a.m.

this is why open discussions go awry on here - people make wild assumptions based on preconceived bias. my post was an observation and then an open ended question based on that observation.

wrt to parking on fromme, do i think there is a need for a staging area? of course i do. however, i feel that when you consider all the factors, having it at the water towers is the wrong place. there are other locations that are better suited to the parking aspect but what they lack and will need is new access trails. is that not a great side benefit though? one would think that the possibility of two or three new climbing trails from parking areas that cause less traffic disruption and less environmental impact (wrt trees getting cut down) would be a win win for everyone.

the only downside is that you couldn't park your car just a short 10-15 min ride from bobsled.

Hey, Gord is the one who demanded I comment on your statement, I actually didn't think it warranted a comment at all so don't put this on me, you guys were the ones harping about ease of access making people take things for granted. Thing is, there is a need for parking/staging at both the tower and DB. DB is not adequate for beginners/intermediates as the climbing options are too hard for most in that category, and in terms of events and toonies, the towers makes sense. I can agree that maybe the towers site is bigger than it needs to be, but maybe it actually isn't, and if the DNV is unwilling to put resources into staging at DB, then it probably isn't actually too big. But then your issue is with DNV, not NSMBA.

July 9, 2014, 8:10 a.m.

Maybe more of us should ride the 'Advanced' mountain? You know, the one with easy parking at the bottom, and you can just shuttlewhore the crap out of it ;-) You hardly have to pedal at all!

treezz
wow you are a ass

July 9, 2014, 9:29 a.m.

Hey, Gord is the one who demanded I comment on your statement, I actually didn't think it warranted a comment at all so don't put this on me, you guys were the ones harping about ease of access making people take things for granted. Thing is, there is a need for parking/staging at both the tower and DB. DB is not adequate for beginners/intermediates as the climbing options are too hard for most in that category, and in terms of events and toonies, the towers makes sense. I can agree that maybe the towers site is bigger than it needs to be, but maybe it actually isn't, and if the DNV is unwilling to put resources into staging at DB, then it probably isn't actually too big. But then your issue is with DNV, not NSMBA.

what i'm putting on you is the way you responded. i wasn't "harping about ease of access making people take things for granted" but raising the question on motivation - there is a difference. i didn't call people lazy or insinuate they take things for granted. i also don't see where i said i had an issue with the nsmba on this. almost none of what you're saying is accurate wrt to my post.

you're taking the discussion in a different direction with your anger over it, as it stands gord and i were putting out philisophiocal questions about attitudes and what affects them. they are perfectly valid questions. my post was in direct response to tundra and his last bit about poking the bear. maybe re-read that exchange with a bit more of an open mind in regards to human psychology.

ps - neither of us are saying that there shouldn't be staging areas.

We don't know what our limits are, so to start something with the idea of being limited actually ends up limiting us.
Ellen Langer