Day pass required for Seymour

Dec. 9, 2021, 5:57 p.m.

According to the latest Nsmba newsletter:

"On high volume days, those wishing to go beyond the 3km mark, will now require a day pass (skiers, snowshoers, biker etc.). Day passes are free and can be booked in advance. They are only required for vehicles, excluding those accessing by foot or bicycle!"

Sounds like this would be required to park at the mushroom day lot.

Old and slow

Dec. 9, 2021, 8:53 p.m.

It was on the news.  You need to book either 8am to noon, or noon to 4pm.  No booking required after 4pm.

Dec. 9, 2021, 9:15 p.m.

https://bcparks.ca/reserve/day-use/

I think the nsmbA newsletter was a bit confusing. From the BC Parks website, it seems you only need the day pass if you're parking at the ski hill (lot 1 or lower lot 5) and don't have a resort pass. Parking at Mushroom lot isn't listed as requiring the pass & most of the authorized Seymour mtb trails aren't within BC Parks (just the very top of Corkscrew, a bit of Bridle, Old Buck, some of Baden).

My interpretation is that shuttling/parking at Mushroom will be the same as usual, no pass needed

Dec. 10, 2021, 12:38 a.m.

This is a decent explanation:

https://vancouversun.com/news/visitors-to-mount-seymour-provincial-park-will-require-a-day-use-pass-starting-dec-15

Dec. 10, 2021, 9:11 a.m.

So say you technically need a pass to park at the CBC lot (which would be annoying because only mountain bikers park there and it's never close to full) - would someone actually be enforcing this? If someone was checking passes I would assume that would be at the entrance to the ski hill parking lot.

Dec. 10, 2021, 11:57 a.m.

There will be a checkpoint at 3km (first switchback) where they'll check that you either have a park day pass, a Seymour pass/ticket, or don't need either because you're going biking.

Seymour will have their usual checkpoint at the works yard just before the Enquist Lodge parking lot.

Dec. 10, 2021, 12:43 p.m.

Bottom line is the ski hill sells way too many tickets.... 

We've had season passes there for the last bunch of years and it has always been slow but the last few years the line ups have been just ridiculous. 45min line ups on the weekends for a sub 5 minute run is crazy. The whole booking system for the hill made zero difference to the crowds. 

Allocated that money to edge cards and I bet with a half a dozen days in whistler they will get double the amount of time skiing.

Dec. 14, 2021, 9:03 a.m.

The newsletter was what the NSMBA was told by BC Parks, verbatim.

They've since followed up, "visitors to Mt Seymour, with bikes onboard, who are intending to stage from Vancouver Picnic Area, will not be required to have a day pass, when the pass checkpoint is occurring on the lower mountain at 3km."