Da plow gapper

April 4, 2006, 10:26 p.m.

the gaps back, and its built even more sketchy this time. this has to stop, we have to go and rip it down for good, now it looks like it will fall apart even if you land it perfectly

April 4, 2006, 10:33 p.m.

whats more exciting, comon greg, its abbotsford.

Hahaha. People get shot or stabbed here everyday but this is exciting oh my!:damn:

April 5, 2006, 5:51 p.m.

Only a few years ago all the stunts were torn down on that mountain because they were getting out of hand. I don't want that to happen again. If you keep it reasonable there is no reason why the trails can't stay, but when you build stuff like that and have fireman pulling people out on stretchers there's a problem.

alive as always

April 5, 2006, 10:57 p.m.

Interesting fact: the event that precipitated the chainsaw massacre last time was a guy crashing over a ladder drop up near the top right were Upper Buttafuoco meets what is now referred to as Paperroute. The ladder is still there, but rotted. anyway, he fell, and cracked his neck and was airlifted out. He's was with emergency services (damn - got his card, and can't remember exactly his position right now). He's Ok and still rides up there occasionally. But - following the accident, the landowner confronted some of the builders and made them rip down their own stunts. That happened just about the time I first started riding Ledgeview, and all I ever saw was the wreckage.

At least - that's my understanding.

Ledgeview once had alot of larger stuff, but it angered the landowners and everything got destroyed. Dig around in the Pink Bike photo archive, and you'll find some of the older stuff here and there.

Good point, Speed Racer.

April 6, 2006, 3:47 a.m.

Broke my leg
Well I won't be riding or walking or driving for a while. Last thursday I broke my tibia and fibia (lower leg bones) after casing a huge gap jump (45+ feet). The impact broke my leg right away and I was thrown off the bike. Oddly enough the bike appears to be fine except for the front wheel, I guess my leg took all of the impact. Local riders stopped to help me but I still eventually had to call 911 and get taken out by the fire department on a stretcher. I had surgery on friday and have been hobling around on crutches/wheelchair since then. Getting around is a chore now, I'm lucky there are people who are helping me out with getting around, otherwise I'd be screwed. Looking back on all the events from getting off the mountain to the numerous different hospitals I went to I'm lucky to even be alive right now. The moral of this story is if you have doubts about a jump (especially a big one), go around it. The potential consequences are NOT WORTH IT, trust me. follow someone who has hit it before if you must hit it. That is my rant for now, hopefully I'll see everyone out there riding in 4-6 weeks.

Is it just me or is this guy complaining about his own supidity? Also there should be a sign warning people before big stunts, just as there is at the bike parks and at fort bill, then people who can do it do and those who cant know whats happening also a very visible chicken run is a good idea

April 6, 2006, 4:04 a.m.

there should be a sign warning people before big stunts…then people who can do it do and those who cant know whats happening

If anyone gets hurt because there wasn't a sign posted…that's just natural selection trying to do its job. Who the fuck hits shit blind? I see and hear of it all too often…but I have NO sympathy for those tools. None.
Did you hit a 45+ gap "blind"? I sure hope not.

April 6, 2006, 4:30 a.m.

Well the point of signage isnt to stop people hitting stuff cause people do case stuff out its therefore when a guy hits it hard and then complains, or the irate walkers the point is that sign alets peole to the danger and therefore its not the builders fault (which i didnt think it was in the first place btw).

April 6, 2006, 8:17 a.m.

This is a cut-n-paste from the "Ledgview Ride Log" started by rewoga:

Well - I started this thread as a tool to try and gauge how many people were riding Ledgeview. I want to thank everyone who has posted here. But, for the forseeable future, I won't be riding Ledgview anymore. I had always believed (based on discussions with other bikers) that the land-owners didn't mind us up there. However, as was made very clear to me at the recent public hearing on the McKee Peak Planning Study, at least two of the land-owners DO NOT WANT US ON THEIR LAND. So, I encourage everyone to find somewhere else to ride for the next little while so the dust can settle from the guy who broke his leg, and so we can have some time to negotiate a deal.

Right now this is not official FVMBA policy - just my opinion. I am not sure the FVMBA will have an official policy on this - it is private land afterall, and we are in no position to dictate the use of private land. I just want to make sure people know that in the past we were welcome (not enthusiastically, but grudgingly) on the mountain - but right now we aren't. In reality, the FVMBA can't say whether the trails are opened or closed, becasue it is PRIVATE LAND. It is up to the landowners to agree to let people up there, and right now they don't want us there. So, you can keep going up, but I want everyone to understand that they will be tresspassing, and making the land-owners even madder, which could lead to there NEVER being a deal to ride there permanently. Try and think about it that way, give up a couple of months now, and you get to ride Ledgeview for the rest of your life. Be selfish, say basically "Fuck you landowners", keep riding, and potentially screw it up forever. Your call.

We won't be posting any signs on the mountain, or posting an official trail closure at this time because, again, its private land. We have to take the high road here, or we will lose all credibility, and no local politicians will ever deal with us seriously. Like I have always thought, anything worthwhile takes some hard work and sacrifice. END.

My two cents:

One step ahead, four steps back.

Ignorance is going to create irreversible effects on ALL land use issues, be it the North Shore or the Valley. People need to get their head's out of their ass and start looking at the big picture. Pat on the back for the jackass who re-built the stunt. I am sure this will have a positive effect on the issue brought up by rewoga.

April 6, 2006, 8:48 a.m.

yeah sometimes "progression" and building cool shit should really take a back seat to just working with the landowners and keeping the trails open and sustainable…

April 6, 2006, 2:47 p.m.

Is it just me or is this guy complaining about his own supidity?

Answer: No, just bringing up the point that if you don't feel 100% about a jump sometimes its best to skip it. If you decide to do it despite your fear and make it, it feels great, you progress because you're less afraid of bigger stunts. However if you DON'T make it, the consequences can kill you. I was vividly reminded of this fact.

I didn't hit the jump "blind", I looked at it from many angles, did many run ins etc. Scroll back in this thread and read my other posts

Mitch
04 Kona Stinky Primo- 888RC, Saint everything
03 Trek Liquid 10 - Still Alive

April 15, 2006, 7:26 a.m.

yeah sometimes "progression" and building cool shit should really take a back seat to just working with the landowners and keeping the trails open and sustainable…

'nuff said - what else do people need who are cravin' for the next step in the game called "progression" and "the bigger - the better"

"You don't learn from experience. You learn from reflecting on the experience."
- Kristen Ulmer

April 15, 2006, 7:47 p.m.

Saw a guy hittin' the jump on vid and that is huge!!!

"Jumps aren't dangerous by themselves… confidence, now thats dangerous"

April 17, 2006, 10:03 a.m.

air supplier - gotta link?

"You don't learn from experience. You learn from reflecting on the experience."
- Kristen Ulmer

April 17, 2006, 12:53 p.m.

StefB - thanks for reposting my comments from the Ledgeview Rides Log.

Here's an update - the FVMBA will be sending a letter to all land-owners explaining our position on the mountain - i.e. we are asking people to ride elsewhere for now, but we would like a deal. I will explain the "Occupier's Liability Act" to them (all MTB'ers should read and know this piece of legislation - in a nut shell - the Law in Canada now says if you are in the back-woods, you have already assumed all of the risk!) http://www.qp.gov.bc.ca/statreg/stat/O/96337_01.htm.

One of the first things on offer to secure rights to ride the mountain for the foreseeable future will be "safetying" of trails. I imagine that Mr.'s Voth and Kenney (Da Plow and SOB are on THEIR LAND) will want the dangerous gaps taken out or tabled. So - the big ugly 41 footer will go - if it is still there. I have no idea how long this process will take, but I will still not ride there until we have a deal.

Everyone who continues to ride there - please think about it. These guys are really pissed, and they have a direct - loud line to Abby City Council - if we can work with them - we will get a share of that communications. If they declare us enemy number 2 (the environmental guys already took first place) MTB in Abby could be good and screwed for a long time.

So - ride Lost Oakleys - Soft Taco - Sumas - Bear and Red in Mission - ANYWHERE ELSE FOR NOW. Give us (the FVMBA) some breathing room to cut a deal.

As for the future - when development is finished on Ledgeview - we are already a part of the planning process. We have met with City of Abby planners and given them a report on MTB in Abby. We are also going to go to the City Rec Council (very powerful - they have almost the most money to spend) and we wil get somewhere - but not if things continue to go bad on Ledgeview - this is all about perception - reality has very little to do with it. So please - work with us - not against us. The REAL future of MTB in Abby is Lost Oakleys/Soft Taco area and SUMAS. When all the houses are built, Ledgeview will be a shadow of its current self. Hopefully we can cut a deal to ride there until that happens - but we need YOUR HELP!

Hopefully we can talk to all the landowners before the summer, and get their agreement to allow people on their land. Go to the FVMBA website for updates.

I have 21,474,850 rep points...

My blog - read it!

http://www.citizenclass.ca

April 17, 2006, 4:55 p.m.

So - ride Lost Oakleys - Soft Taco - Sumas - Bear and Red in Mission - ANYWHERE ELSE FOR NOW. Give us (the FVMBA) some breathing room to cut a deal.

I'm with ya!