Cypress Upper Lands Survey is out - IMPORANT IF YOU CARE ABOUT CYPRESS

Nov. 18, 2020, 4:11 p.m.

District of West Van is looking for guidance from user groups on how to move forward with development on Cypress (the area of the first switchback is termed "Cypress Village").

This survey applies to all of us and not just DWV residents, or even those whose primary riding area is Cypress. We are all invited to fill out the survey. This is great as the more mountain bikers fill this out and note that they mountain bike on Cypress, the more power our voice has.

As you know, the landowner is keen to move forward with large scale development plans in Cypress Village and the District is asking how user groups would like that to look. I know that bike traffic on Cypress was WAY up this year, so this is coming at a good time for us - we want to make sure that DWV knows that there are way more bikes on Cypress than they think, that our user group matters and importantly, we hope to leave everyone with a perception that the development plans on Cypress will benefit from inclusion of mountain bikers and mountain bike trails.

Being realistic, there is going to be considerable development and the development will have a significant impact on all the MTB trails in that immediate area. Full stop.

BUT this is our opportunity to, as a community, make it known that the Mountain Biking Trails matter to a large number of people and that mountain bikers (and the trails) need to be considered in the plan. And it would be even better if our user group was considered as one that could provide significant benefits to the outcome of the project long-term.

Think about, in a post Covid world (if there is such a thing), bikers having a pub to go to in the Village. Maybe some authorized trails to get you there. Bike wash stations (Alan B has been petitioning for one to be installed in the area soon and its already looking good!), coffee shops...whatever. Picture something like a scaled back Whistler Village at the bottom of Cypress. CYPRESS CAN HAVE ITS OWN DUMPSTERS!!!! The development is going to happen so lets have a voice in how it turns out! Lets not miss this chance to provide constructive input.

The main page is here: https://www.westvancouverite.ca/upperlands

It contains the history of the discussion as well as the background material for your review should you wish prior to completing the survey.

The Survey is at the bottom of the page. It is not long and will only take minutes to complete. You can preview the survey HERE

NOTE: Question 8 in the survey asks how you use the land - Mountain Biking is listed - having MTB included in that list is a testament to the hard work by Alan B and others for well over a decade. Having our user group listed shows that we are on the right track. Thank you Alan.

Please ask anyone who cares about Cypress to fill out the form! The more that do, the better for us.

Last edited by: Ddean on Nov. 18, 2020, 4:19 p.m., edited 1 time in total.
Nov. 18, 2020, 4:42 p.m.

There was news on two separate issues yesterday, both good and great.

1 - The good news is that West Van released a survey on Cypress Village. This means they're moving forward with planning that brings us closer to authorized mtb trails.

2 - The great news is they also approved BPP setting up the Cypress Pop-Up Village Park at the first switchback on the former McGavin Field site. In addition to more parking, public washrooms, a sales presentation centre and a coffee shop (in a container), what makes this great is that there will be a bike station including a bike wash!

Having the developer go out of their way to invite mtn bikers onsite is the best indication yet that they want mtn biking to be part of Cypress Village. Personally, I'm thrilled!

More details will be shared at the NSMBA AGM next week on Thursday, Nov 26 at 5:30.  In the meantime, please complete the survey and give your honest opinions. It doesn't matter if you live in West Van or not.

Nov. 19, 2020, 3:59 p.m.

Thanks for staying on this!  I filled out the survey, even though I'm a Yankee/gringo/'murcan. I let them know in my comments that the world class expert mountain bike trails are a huge asset for commercial real estate and they should leverage that.

Thank you for what you do. Long live Cypress!

Dec. 11, 2020, 8:42 p.m.

Bump! Last weekend to do the survey. It closes on Monday.

Please support a mix of recreation & conservation in the Eagleridge lands.

The 2,500 units versus 3,500 units question has incomplete information. All parties support protecting ALL of Eagleridge. The question is more about timing, protect it all now or half now and half later.

Personally, I am confident that the second half will be protected with the Cypress West project.

Dec. 12, 2020, 9:32 a.m.

Done.

Dec. 13, 2020, 10:16 a.m.

Done

For anyone who hasn't filled this out, the amount of reading material looks overwhelming but you can skip all that. There's only 9 simple questions to respond to!

Dec. 13, 2020, 10:55 a.m.

Done. Thanks for the reminder!

March 27, 2021, 6:24 p.m.

Hi Ddean and everyone - any updates on the outcome? 

It’s such an amazing trail network on Cypress. I get gutted thinking about losing the trails every time I’m out there. 

Thanks for everything you do!

March 28, 2021, 12:02 a.m.

Posted by: S4d33

Hi Ddean and everyone - any updates on the outcome? 

It’s such an amazing trail network on Cypress. I get gutted thinking about losing the trails every time I’m out there. 

Thanks for everything you do!

Feedback was overwhelmingly to increase the scale of Cypress Village. 

The trails around the first switchback are going to get nuked, but that was always the case. To the extent that we can work with developers on reroutes to prevent full trail closures we will. It was always going to happen so we need to work as constructively as possible to get the best outcome we can. 

In the meantime there’s other stuff happening on Cypress that could be pretty good for us. 

Time will tell how it all shakes out. Enjoy Cypress in all it’s glory while you can because it is going to change. But that doesn’t mean that it won’t still be awesome

Ps Cypress sucks, don’t go!

March 28, 2021, 11:48 a.m.

Silly question, but what is considered the first switchback? Are we talking Brutus or Meat Sweats?

March 28, 2021, 1:20 p.m.

Thanks for the update. Knew it was happening with losing the lower trails, but still just brutal. 

Please keep us posted on anything we can do to help create the best outcome possible for reroutes, additions, etc. 

Thank you!

March 29, 2021, 10:48 a.m.

Posted by: DangerousDave

Silly question, but what is considered the first switchback? Are we talking Brutus or Meat Sweats?

Brutus.

March 29, 2021, 3:51 p.m.

Posted by: S4d33

Thanks for the update. Knew it was happening with losing the lower trails, but still just brutal. 

There's support for trails leading into Cypress Village, but the question is what that will look like.

The last thing we want is a single flow trail mixing fast riders with beginners. To keep everyone happy and the trails safe, there needs to be some separation.