Cypress - New Sex Girl Alternate Exit

Jan. 23, 2019, 12:27 p.m.

People riding down Sex Girl on Cypress below Fern have probably noticed that things have changed (a lot) in the area of the step-up near the end of the trail.

Riders approaching the step-up now emerge from the forest onto the Upper Mountain Path around the step up, and it might not be obvious what your choices are, so Im posting.

You have two choices to exit 

1. If you want to ride Quagmire, make your way across the UMP (under construction) to the area of the step-up (it is still there but not sure the run-in will allow it to be rideable) and you will see the go-around still exists on riders left of the step up. You can follow that to the road and across to Quagmire just like you could before.

2. Alternate exit to the western end of the UMP. When you emerge from the forest onto the UMP, on RIDERS RIGHT you will see a rideable pathway/old roadway that will take you over to the western end of the UMP. From there you can make your way to the bottom of Trunk Monkey (if you can find it!) or loop around Brutus (RIP) to the road on the UMP. Its generally downhill but there is one section where there's a 60ft vertical climb.

I think the best option is for you to hit Quagmire, but you do have two reasonable choices.

The new alternate exit is shown in this attachment, marked with the arrow.

These changes only impact the lower few percent of the trail, so people who want to keep hitting Sex Girl can continue to do so. I wouldn't let these changes discourage you from riding SG. Im obviously not privy to exactly what is planned for that area, but it looks to me that the change we see now will be the extent of it, at least for Sex Girl, for the foreseeable future as I don't think that there are plans for development above the UMP in this area.

Long live Cypress!

Jan. 23, 2019, 4:27 p.m.

Thanks for letting us know. It's good to have options!

I should add the usual disclaimers that the UMP is both unsanctioned and unfinished, so ride at your own risk. There will be times when there's active construction on it. Please respect the workers and heavy equipment. Hitting an excavator can ruin your whole day.

Jan. 24, 2019, 12:15 p.m.

Hey Dave. the step up is still ridable. Just a few pedal stroke and have it.

The rest of SG is still all good.