CYPRESS mountain...some All Mountain riding

Nov. 12, 2014, 3:11 p.m.

Guys,

Can you give me a bit of information about the trail BLT please. I'm wanting to climb this on the weekend then take Mystery DH down. I like techy and rooty climbs? Is the BLT trail more like a gravel road or is it techy and rooty like Bridle Path?

Thanks

Nov. 12, 2014, 3:48 p.m.

BLT is an access road used mainly by hydro to access the hydro lines.

Its a double track, not technical, but some steep parts.

Its a good climb to get to Mystery or any of the upper trails. To get to Mystery, exit at the Works yard, ride through it back to the road, then down to West side road.

http://mtbtrails.ca/ Author of Locals' Guide to North Shore Rides and Locals' Guide to Fraser Valley Rides.

Follow us on Twitter and Instagram

Nov. 13, 2014, 12:33 p.m.

I pedalled up BLT 3 times this summer, has some steep parts, but all rideable. Its all doubletrack, not technical.

The avg time based on users ridelogs from Trailforks is 48min, then add a couple min to pedal over to Mystery. I still prefer the shuttle ;)

Canada Kicks Ass | Trailforks.com

Nov. 13, 2014, 12:49 p.m.

There is construction work that is chewing it up at the moment, last time I was up it was a very wet mess.

Grumpy Trail Builder in Training

Nov. 13, 2014, 4:08 p.m.

On a similar note, I tried climbing Fern Trail this summer starting from the bottom of Firehose back over to the BLT. It is extremely overgrown and pretty much a hike-a-bike from bottom of Firehose until crossing Shoreplay. Having this route running would open some possibilities for accessing the west side of the mountain after a run on the east side.

Nov. 17, 2014, 10:40 a.m.

I climbed the BLT yesterday. I go up Eagle Lake Rd then take the access road up the power lines at the big transformer station. Then there are two intersections you can take to get on the BLT and follow it all the way to the upper works yard. It's one of the hardest climbs on the Shore IMO. I love it. I've made every section at one time or another but never all in a row.

It's not gnarly or rooty. It's an access road. Rocky in parts but it's not technical climbing. It's pretty steep in parts but there are just enough flat spots to recover and keep going. It's in great shape right now. Everything above Wild Cherry is freshly graded - it's very rideable now that it's frozen.

If you're pedalling up why not ride Blind Skier to SGS to Tall Cans? It's way more fun on a small bike than Mystery.

There's nothing better than an Orangina after cheating death with Digger.

Nov. 21, 2014, 9:23 a.m.

Great INFO Craw, thanks for your help, I will check those out.