Cypress bike park?!

April 13, 2015, 7:39 p.m.

Not just DH, but jump, slopestyle, BMX parks and a pump track would be great additions to a lift-access facility and bring up more riders. As the dad of a ripper kid, I think it would be great for local kids/teens/youth who can't afford Whistler or don't have parents who are willing to drive them there on a regular basis. Alpine bike park does not have to mean North Shore/Freeride. Cycling BC may justify their involvement in that DH and BMX are official UCI disciplines. Would anyone object to Cycling BC supporting the Burnaby Velodrome or running clinics there (which it does)?

I have maintained in my communications "If you build it they will come."

So I agree with Duncan.

Talk less, Say More.

April 13, 2015, 7:44 p.m.

Lastly, some really good comments in here. Thanks all!

Talk less, Say More.

April 13, 2015, 8:32 p.m.

I'm fairly certain if Cypress had quality lift access DH biking, I would not be driving further up the sea to sky to ride WBP as much as I have in the past. The potential is there.

Was fun, skinny to wasp nest was the best.

Is there a Vancouver in Taiwan?! I had no idea!!

Nothing sums up my life's achievements like my stuffed corpse, suplexing a cougar.

April 13, 2015, 9:14 p.m.

I can't respond to all that Gord B said at once, so I'll keep it simple.

Nothing is decided. All options are open for consideration. That's why I keep pushing for people to come to the Open Houses and talk directly to BPP and to Parks. The voice of the community carries far more weight than mine.

There are pro's and con's to however the mountainside is developed. I can't say what will work and what won't. Right now my main concern is that the issues get debated.

Yes, the trails are a very important part of that debate.

The only thing that's certain is that Cypress is going to change. Speak up and help shape the future.

April 13, 2015, 9:33 p.m.

Yes, speak up:

We will need to share are thoughts on any tweeking of the Upper Lands Working Group Recommendations… wholesale changes are not in scope. So, I see the ULWG Recommendations pretty set in terms of direction and scope. Only minor changes will happen in the ONE ULWG meeting left to editing before June 22. And this meeting is 2-3 hours.

And there is then the Trail Review we will need to speak up on and provide input to. And if this morphs into a Trail Plan, then again… speak up.

And there is also, at the same time likely, the initiation of the Cypress Village Area Development Plan… which is, in my assessment, the most important place to speak up as then we will see how the initial development concepts BPP is taking to DWV will affect trails.

Many places to speak up during the next two years.

No Fate

Talk less, Say More.

April 13, 2015, 9:35 p.m.

So, back to the Cypress Mountain bike park… yep… I have spoken to some and it is clear that they have it on their radar. What is holding them back I do not know. Hence maybe the "push" from Cycling BC's task force? Maybe this is to push BC Parks? dunno.

Talk less, Say More.

April 13, 2015, 10 p.m.

Many places to speak up during the next two years.

Sigh. I wish you were wrong about the two years. Much work remains.

At least the Trails Plan will likely be quicker. It's in the Parks Work Plan for 2016.

Hopefully the vision for Cypress will be set early in the Cypress Village ADP process. VERY early. That's why people need to speak up now!

April 14, 2015, 6:48 a.m.

So, back to the Cypress Mountain bike park… yep… I have spoken to some and it is clear that they have it on their radar. What is holding them back I do not know. Hence maybe the "push" from Cycling BC's task force? Maybe this is to push BC Parks? dunno.

I read somewhere that quoted Darren saying the Bearclaw Invitational at Seymour is/(was?) not a completely done deal yet because of various conditions laid out by BC Parks. I wonder if perhaps the same process may be going on for Cypress.

April 14, 2015, 8:49 a.m.

The Muddbunnies link is actually also dated.

"After the 2010 Olympics, Cycling BC renewed our efforts and submitted a proposal over the past summer that would see Cycling BC lease access to the mountain and at least one chair lift over the summer months in 2013."

Talk less, Say More.

April 15, 2015, 11:21 a.m.

That's why people need to speak up now!

I do not sense the same urgency. The ULWG and DWV will be very deliberate. BPP will come to the table with their first concepts for the area when the Cypress Village Area Development Planning process starts sometime this Autumn I hope.

Since I am told that will be a Working Group process I hope that I am at that table to provide input via the MTB Cypress community group.

The ULWG Recommendations will be reviewed and hopefully accepted by Council in June and then changes in the Official Community Plan will likely follow. Once the new planning construct is defined, then BPP will know exactly their constraints, and then further define their vision of Cypress Village at the first hairpin.

This is when we need to speak up. And that is sometime in during this fall and into next year.

Talk less, Say More.

April 15, 2015, 11:57 a.m.

I do not sense the same urgency. The ULWG and DWV will be very deliberate. BPP will come to the table with their first concepts for the area when the Cypress Village Area Development Planning process starts sometime this Autumn I hope.

I respectfully disagree. This will be covered at the NSMBA Town Hall tonight.

1. The ULWG is effectively complete. This is about the next steps.
  2. This is a pivot point for the Cypress trails.
  3. BPP is considering their options now! The time to influence them is while they're making the decision, not after it's a fait accompli.

If you have an opinion on the future of trails, pro or con, the best time to speak out is Thursday April 16, 4-8 pm at the West Van Community Centre.

April 15, 2015, 12:14 p.m.

Was Gord B involved in creating the draft document?

April 15, 2015, 12:49 p.m.

Gord B has been attending all the WG meetings since he got involved. He was also invited to the table to share his expertise at the Recreation Workshop in October.

He's dedicated a lot of time and effort to this.

April 15, 2015, 1:03 p.m.

Thanks Alan

See u Thursday

April 15, 2015, 3:51 p.m.

Maybe I am lost in semantics.

As Alan indicates, the ULWG is at its end and will be disbanded. This public engagement piece is to show the citizens what their effort has resulted in- a solid document of Recommendations.

If you took the survey you get a sense of the high level of the Recommendations and they were also reviewed on the MTB Cypress facebook page in detail leading up to this month.

As I told Alan last month, MTB Cypress is pivoting from advocacy to capacity to get ready for the next process steps, as I outlined already above. Those were my exact words.

NO WHERE IN THE LAST ULWG MEETING TO DISCUSS THIS PUBLIC ENGAGEMENT PIECE WAS IT EVER INDICATED "ABOUT NEXT STEPS." It maybe in your mind Alan, but to outright say it as such is misleading IMO. After this, there is one meeting for final edits, and one last meeting for signing off the document. Then to Council.

Yes, BPP is now starting to consider what they may do up there… in fact they have had 10 years to consider…

The Cypress Village Area Development Plan process will have much opportunity to discuss, as I outlined above, the topic of trails. That is the key time to really get discussing the hard decisions facing trails.

I do not see urgency in Alan's self proclaimed "pivot point of Cypress Trails" as this public engagement piece is about showcasing the Recommendations of the ULWG- and nothing more. And like Alan said, it also is contingent on the Trails Plan…

Sure, there might be Alan, a planner , someone from BPP , or even Parks there. But to set an expectation that anything we say tomorrow will indeed influence the process is a bit of a stretch- since that process will give ample opportunity to tell the people that will make the final determination of the future.

Come and chat about mountain biking. There will be a whole lot more discussion with the decision makers in the planning process coming up. So, maybe I am hung up on semantics.

Talk less, Say More.