Cypress bike park?!

April 13, 2015, 12:03 p.m.

I can't ride any of those places without it being a whole day affair.

Cypress done right, could attract an after work crowd all summer long.

For every one that doesn't live in North Van (they exist) Cypress is 30-40 minutes away, all the other options are basically day trips.

I'm in your camp. Mon-Fri office guy and live in East Van. Door to door travel times are 80-90min to Whistler depending on traffic, 40 min to Cypress parking lot, 20-25min to Fromme/Seymour, 60min to lowest Diamondhead lot in Squamish and 150 minutes to CGP.

I've only recently gotten back into biking and wasn't around for Cypress 1.0, but would definitely check it out for after work rides in the summer and half days here and there on weekends.

WBP is amazing but it is a full day commitment which isn't always convenient. If Cypress had half decent lift access terrain I would be there regularly in addition to pedaling at Fromme and Seymour.

April 13, 2015, 12:20 p.m.

I'm fairly certain if Cypress had quality lift access DH biking, I would not be driving further up the sea to sky to ride WBP as much as I have in the past. The potential is there.

April 13, 2015, 12:31 p.m.

I heard rumors of Darren Berrecloth being involved in a bike park bid for Seymour as part of the Bearclaw Invitational being moved there this summer.

WTB Frequency i23 rim, 650b NEW - $40

April 13, 2015, 12:43 p.m.

I can't ride any of those places without it being a whole day affair.

For every one that doesn't live in North Van (they exist) Cypress is 30-40 minutes away, all the other options are basically day trips.

I agree for the most part - esp after-work summer crowds, but unless lift tickets are stupid cheap and/or you bought a season pass and live close by, I think many people would want Cypress Bike Park to be an all-day affair anyway. How much would you pay to do a casual ride in Cypress Bike Park for a couple of hours or half a day and then go home? It would really depend on what the park offered and they would have to do it really well.

I'm fairly certain if Cypress had quality lift access DH biking, I would not be driving further up the sea to sky to ride WBP as much as I have in the past. The potential is there.

Like I said, it depends on what was offered. If it were to be something like Mt Wa. was on the Island or Coast Gravity (I'm saying scope, number of trails etc - not anything else like ferry fares, park management, monster snowfalls etc), would that be enough of an enticement for you? For me, in my circumstances, I'd say generally "no". (And its not a knock at Mt Wa. - you work with what you have … I'd say between all the public trails on the Shore/Squamish and day-trips to the world's #1 bike park I myself would probably say "no"). It would have to be something really special to draw me there regularly … maybe something like Highland Mountain Bike Park in NH (looks awesome - never been) that seems to punch above its weight.

April 13, 2015, 12:56 p.m.

i think a lot of people on this thread are thinking small, when the big picture is what is potentially urgent/compelling

as an enthusiastic mountain biker with established preferences and experience, riding the upper parts of cypress/grouse/seymour may or may not be attractive to you

but for the hordes of metro-vancouverites for whom the mountains are part of their passive self identify, facilitated through skiing/boarding, the all but imminent death, or at least marked decline, of local resort/dh(/xc?) snow sports creates a vaccum that local (both in terms of proximity and culture) gravity-assistd mtb facilities could springboard into a huge boost in the sport's popularity

obviously there are key differences between lift-assisted skiing and mtb - there's no smooth or guaranteed transition between the two sports - but as the prospect of snow-bare north shore mountains becomes a regular winter sight, local resorts would be nuts (imo) not to at least be thinking about how they could transition or at least diversify their operations to ensure long term viability/relevance, AND get involved in marketing the sport and their terrain to mountain-starved locals

"Nobody really gives a shit that you don't like the thing that you have no firsthand experience with." Dave

April 13, 2015, 1:08 p.m.

obviously there are key differences between lift-assisted skiing and mtb - there's no smooth or guaranteed transition between the two sports - but as the prospect of snow-bare north shore mountains becomes a regular winter sight, local resorts would be nuts (imo) not to at least be thinking about how they could transition or at least diversify their operations to ensure long term viability/relevance, AND get involved in marketing the sport and their terrain to mountain-starved locals

What about the difference between operations at the top of Cypress versus something lower down the mountain?

The season would be longer and more predictable from the 3rd switchback down.

April 13, 2015, 1:10 p.m.

What about the difference between operations at the top of Cypress versus something lower down the mountain?

why not both - what would the elevation from the proposed development at the 3rd switchback to the peak of cyps be?

(ps i've appreciated your efforts to keep people informed of developments on cypress, to say nothing of your advocacy efforts on this front)

"Nobody really gives a shit that you don't like the thing that you have no firsthand experience with." Dave

April 13, 2015, 1:30 p.m.

why not both - what would the elevation from the proposed development at the 3rd switchback to the peak of cyps be?

Cypress Village will be at the 1st switchback, not the 3rd. The exact location is TBD.

Keep in mind that the motivation of the capital behind this is to make Cypress Village the gateway for mountain recreation. That encompasses all forms of recreation.

April 13, 2015, 1:57 p.m.

ooh, i see it now - bus shuttle from cypress village to the lodge, do a few hot laps on the upper runs via the chair, then a bomber run from the top of black mt all the way down to the village again where the mountain bike friendly brew pubs await. sweet.

April 13, 2015, 1:58 p.m.

ooh, i see it now - gondola ride from cypress village to the lodge, do a few hot laps on the top runs via the chair, then a dh run from the top of black mt back all the way down to the new village where brew pubs await. sweet.

FTFY

There's nothing better than an Orangina after cheating death with Digger.

April 13, 2015, 2:16 p.m.

Well said DaveM.
Add to that a place I can take my son without spending Whistler $$$, and we are supporters.

I heard rumors of Darren Berrecloth being involved in a bike park bid for Seymour as part of the Bearclaw Invitational being moved there this summer.

The addition of the Bearclaw event to Cypress is huge, and I think it bodes well for biking to return.

More competition in the lift accessed world will only help keep prices in check. Someone needs to kick Whistler in the ass for increasing the prices so much in the last few years.

FTFY

I like the way you think.

craw for mayor!!!
:woot:

April 13, 2015, 2:24 p.m.

I like the way you think.

craw for mayor!!!
:woot:

To be fair to Alan, he's been suggesting such a thing might be possible for quite some time…

April 13, 2015, 2:37 p.m.

To be fair to Alan, he's been suggesting such a thing might be possible for quite some time…

Yup, people interested in a future Cypress bike park should read AlanB's posts in this thread:

http://bb.nsmb.com/showthread.php?t=161767

April 13, 2015, 2:43 p.m.

Brew pubs? Absolutely!

BPP has been saying that they want good restaurants and pubs for mountain bikers. That's why they'll be out at the Open Houses, to meet future pub patrons!

April 13, 2015, 7:25 p.m.

Ok Alan, we get you want a restaurant, as likely does BPP, at the top of their property line above the third switchback. And that everyone wants a pub at the bottom. We all agree. The 1200 Variation was in terms of residential development. That looks to be kyboshed now. But it still leaves wiggle room in interpretation for BPP to consider taking recreational amenities, such as a Restaurant, to above the third hairpin- and asking for permission from DWV. This is how I read the politic strategy in the wording of the Recommendations, and sensing developmental opportunities, other than residential, above 1200 ft contour variation.

None of this will solve any of the hard decisions forthcoming, or make them easier to take, in the future with respect to trails.

savethegnar is completely independent of a pub or restaurant!!! Let us deal with trails and not carrots.

As riders, we want to ride. Sure, amenities will be built. Having sat through the last year of Upper Lands Working Group meetings and listening to the community planner, ULWG citizen members, BPP, ect… it is clear the concept of these amentities will work themselves out. But they do NOT define success of a trail system!!! So we need to differentiate that here and now.

We all need to understand that there is the community development side (all the stuff you talk about Alan), and the Trail Development side, (yet to be determined) to the equation.

The Trail Development side has yet to be determined since the DWV Parks has yet to embark on their Trail Review, which will direct policy on how DWV will manage a Trail System. DWV Parks will not care about a pub or bike store or anything… they will address how to manage, create, maintain, and care for the trails in their lands. And this Trail Review has not started yet. It will take a year or two- a guess. I have yet to confirm with DWV Parks about when this process will start but I am thinking after the ULWG recommendations go to Council June 22, 2015.

So, if BPP is capped at 1200 ft elevation for residential development (the current line across the mountain) AND if they are prevented from developing residential west of Eagle Creek watershed… all that land to the west of this watershed, all the "already zoned for lands": ALL that density will likely shift to the east to the Cypress Village area- making this area a denser Village with more community appeal.

This, then, will really force us to consider how to deal with the trails that are lower than 1200 ft.

The fact is, we will loose trails. The opportunity is that we are at the table to assist all how to best mitigate and create a win win situation where we can retain No Net Trail Loss while also creating a community at the gates of a great trail system. This is the challenge. The link below shows the trails impacted by 1200 ft elevation contour.

https://scontent-sea.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xtf1/v/t1.0-9/11021267_362106183990888_3356868310834440416_n.jpg?oh=1913a1e6a8606d0be4d6d3c3dd2a1d0f[HTML_REMOVED]oe=55E54854

Great trail systems cost money. So, if we expect DWV Parks to give NSMBA the first option to take on the challenge, then, damnit, we need to find more money too and have our NSMBA ready for the challenge. Sure, maybe we will be helped out with some grants… but long term… these trails will cost money.

If we want them, we need to take a stand for them, and not only that… figure out a model to have them maintained with new money, and then, do it.

Regarding the gondola… there is no point IMO putting in a gondola if it doe not connect to Cypress Bowl. So, the link below from www.facebook.com/mtbcypress shows two possible options. The Blue, up the powerlines to the cross country and cabin area, doglegs to Cypress Bowl. And the Red, which is the alignment for a restaurant at the third hairpin, and then across there to Cypress Bowl. Issue there is that Alan has pointed out it would go very near, if not over, some very old Growth. So that is a challenge.

Do we see a separate "to the third hairpin only" alignment for a restaurant and bikes? AND a Blue one???

NONE OF THIS WAS EVER DISCUSSED IN THE ULWG. It is all still just possible dreamscapes. Do not become too attached to any of it since it is still a long way out.

https://scontent-sea.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xpa1/v/l/t1.0-9/10440194_362935470574626_1953279462015072417_n.jpg?oh=d7a3ce7b4257bc08bb25c1f27800997b[HTML_REMOVED]oe=55E258A1

My guess 2 years for a Trail Review/Plan making its way into a Policy document for the DWV.
My guess 2 years away from a defined Cypress Village Area Development Plan.

Lastly, Cypress Bowl is within a BC Park. This adds another layer to possible complexity with a bike park based on BC Parks constraints.

So, long story short- nothing is decided upon.

Talk less, Say More.