Cypress bike park?!

Dec. 20, 2012, 9:33 a.m.

Am I missing any others?

bottom of Fifth Horseman is a gravel parking lot now, and another trail higher up has roads and clearcuts.

Dec. 20, 2012, 11:46 a.m.

More of that to come. The bottom of Sex Boy is in a development zone. We only have a temporary reprieve on it until the exit can be relocated further west.

The trails need a plan. The sooner the better.

April 12, 2015, 9:28 p.m.

Old thread, but I'm guessing there is still interest in a Cypress bike park.

Lots of interest and support at today's Open House, though not from any mtn bikers yet.

A representative from BPP will be at the next Open Houses, Tuesday April 14 at Gleneagles Golf Club and Thursday April 16 at DWV Community Centre. Both are 4-8 pm.

If you know anything about what went on with the Cypress ski area bike park, share your thoughts with BPP. Tell them what worked and what didn't, what you liked and what you didn't.

From this thread:
http://bb.nsmb.com/showthread.php?t=161767

April 12, 2015, 9:47 p.m.

Old thread, but I'm guessing there is still interest in a Cypress bike park.

From this thread:
http://bb.nsmb.com/showthread.php?t=161767

2012 thread. A lot has changed since then.

To find out the current situation, come out to the NSMBA Town Hall on April 15, 8 pm at the Lynn Valley Rec Centre.

April 12, 2015, 10:18 p.m.

the vert for a lift access bike park at Cyps is crapola - barely 2000ft vert vs. whistler at 5500 feet (maybe a bit less since youre not riding right from peak to village every run)….it would have to seriously be priced right (which it wouldnt be because theyre money hungry owners - (see day pass price for skiing there right now) - and the trails to get up to bike-park grade which everyone expects would take years to build - you might get one line ready for opening in 2014 decent enough to session …. i'm pretty sure that everyone here would ride the park once or twice and after that just say - meh. Rather shuttle the lower cyps stuff than pay for lift access crap.

Unless they seriously consider investing tonnes of time and $$$ into developing a lift access DH facility, it'll never meet expectations, will always cost too much and wont have a snowflakes chance in hell of competing with other bike parks. Maybe they have a different vision - but as a DH park I just cant see it. They missed that boat years ago.

Whistler mid-station is at 1600m and Whistler Village is at 675m. Seems to me 1000m is plenty of vert.
But yeah I agree with your points. There would be better value in finding a way to make that alpine terrain just available. The way they do in the Alps. Just drop people off to whatever. Some epic hikes, easier access to the Lions. A couple of XC alpine traverses.

There's nothing better than an Orangina after cheating death with Digger.

April 12, 2015, 11:54 p.m.

after the past two "ski" seasons we've had, the local hills have to be questioning how economically viable their current operations are. opening up their terrain to bikers and hikers seems like a smart gamble, at least smarter than betting on next year's snow

There would be better value in finding a way to make that alpine terrain just available. The way they do in the Alps. Just drop people off to whatever. Some epic hikes, easier access to the Lions. A couple of XC alpine traverses.

i like the sound of that. not sure it has the kind of mass appeal you'd need to keep the lifts, etc. operating through the summer season though

"Nobody really gives a shit that you don't like the thing that you have no firsthand experience with." Dave

April 13, 2015, 7:22 a.m.

Whistler mid-station is at 1600m and Whistler Village is at 675m. Seems to me 1000m is plenty of vert.

'mid'station is actually more like 1100, roundhouse is 1800.

April 13, 2015, 7:46 a.m.

after the past two "ski" seasons we've had, the local hills have to be questioning how economically viable their current operations are. opening up their terrain to bikers and hikers seems like a smart gamble, at least smarter than betting on next year's snow

i like the sound of that. not sure it has the kind of mass appeal you'd need to keep the lifts, etc. operating through the summer season though

They can't really compete with Whistler for vert or terrain but they are close by. Think of how many people flock to Grouse to do the Grind and the BCMC on a given summer day? Have a couple of nice climbs up around Eagle Lake Rd, a nice restaurant up top and a gondola ride back down? Hikers could walk to the Lions and back in a day from the top.

Bike people get a lift up. A couple alpine loops then descend all the way to the first switchback.
Seems to me that if they provide the means (gondola and chairlifts) and some services (parking lots, bathrooms, food) then people will come just to access the terrain.

There's nothing better than an Orangina after cheating death with Digger.

April 13, 2015, 8:30 a.m.

certainly a great opportunity for beginners / kids / families if it were priced appropriately. toss in a big jump line to appease the park rats, and you should be able to divert a bit of traffic from whistler, not to mention attract new users who might not otherwise want to make the drive / spend the $$.

the relatively small elevation made for quick laps, but i certainly had fun there, even with the limited number of trail options at the time.

April 13, 2015, 9:02 a.m.

I miss the mandatory wasp nest that you had to bike past to get back to the lift. :woot: On a serious note though Whistler is an all day affair that quite frankly is getting cost prohibitive for a lot of people in the lower mainland. Cypress is something close where you can go to bat off a few quick laps after work or go up to for the day on Saturday without taking out a second mortgage. IMHO now more than ever the business model of a Cypress bike park could work.

April 13, 2015, 9:15 a.m.

Well, what about the rumor that Cypress agreed with Whistler Blackcomb to not have a bike park in exchange for some Olympic events? Any truth to that?

Thread killer

April 13, 2015, 9:39 a.m.

I'm not saying they didn't agree to something or not, I really have no idea…but I'm pretty sure the freestyle events were never not supposed to be at Cypress.

April 13, 2015, 10:43 a.m.

They can't really compete with Whistler for vert or terrain but they are close by.

Whistler is barely an hour from the bottom of Cypress Bowl Rd. Squamish (and its trails plus the Sea-to-Sky Gondola) is 30 minutes away. And there are already trails on Cypress and the 2 other local mountains. That's a lot of competition. And I haven't even mentioned the CGP. Unless they can fill a niche that doesn't exist between Whistler, Squamish, Coast Gravity, Cypress, Fromme and Seymour or come up with some mind-blowing trail routes or concepts, there will be lots of serious competition around for any Cypress Bike Park.

April 13, 2015, 11:03 a.m.

Whistler is barely an hour from the bottom of Cypress Bowl Rd. Squamish (and its trails plus the Sea-to-Sky Gondola) is 30 minutes away. And there are already trails on Cypress and the 2 other local mountains. That's a lot of competition. And I haven't even mentioned the CGP. Unless they can fill a niche that doesn't exist between Whistler, Squamish, Coast Gravity, Cypress, Fromme and Seymour or come up with some mind-blowing trail routes or concepts, there will be lots of serious competition around for any Cypress Bike Park.

I can't ride any of those places without it being a whole day affair.

Cypress done right, could attract an after work crowd all summer long.

For every one that doesn't live in North Van (they exist) Cypress is 30-40 minutes away, all the other options are basically day trips.

April 13, 2015, 11:06 a.m.

Got an opinion on this? The best way to share it is in person at an Upper Lands Open House.

The next one is Tuesday, April 14, 4-8 pm at Gleneagles Golf Club.

The last one is Thursday, April 16, 4-8 pm at Community Centre.

There's also an online survey at westvancouverITE. Use the comments to tell them what you support and what you don't support.