Cypress bike park?!

Dec. 11, 2012, 7:44 a.m.

Thank you cycling bc for trying to make this happen. Way to put in some time for the non racers like me.

Dec. 18, 2012, 2:26 p.m.

So if Cycling BC are attempting to lease access to the ski resort, how come BPP are entertaining the idea of putting in a gondola from the 1st to 3rd switchback (which I'm assuming would only facilitate biking and hiking)?

I know that Cypress Village is going to have a pub and that they'll be looking for clientele, but how many other West Vancouver bars/restaurants are dependant upon muddy bikers?

Is it possible that BPP are making false promises in an attempt to surppress any protests from the mountain biking community until the housing development is in full swing and the trails have been ripped out?

Dec. 18, 2012, 5:06 p.m.

how come BPP are entertaining the idea of putting in a gondola from the 1st to 3rd switchback (which I'm assuming would only facilitate biking and hiking)?

You're kidding, right? There is no worthwhile hiking between 1 [HTML_REMOVED] 3. Any real hiker worth their lederhosen wouldn't use a gondola for such a short section…any other pedestrian lazy enough for a short gondola ride, would be too lazy to get out of a car [HTML_REMOVED] would drive to the 3rd sb.

Dec. 18, 2012, 6:52 p.m.

There is no worthwhile hiking between 1 [HTML_REMOVED] 3. Any real hiker worth their lederhosen wouldn't use a gondola for such a short section…

I completely agree, which makes the idea of a gondola seem even more preposterous!

…it seems like a lot of money and effort to get a few bikers (because let's face it, Cypress doesn't exactly have many family-orientated/beginner trails) to buy beer.

Dec. 18, 2012, 7:18 p.m.

I completely agree, which makes the idea of a gondola seem even more preposterous!

…it seems like a lot of money and effort to get a few bikers (because let's face it, Cypress doesn't exactly have many family-orientated/beginner trails) to buy beer.

It would be for the residents. Kinda like the gondola in Kaden Woods in whistler for their 'ski in ski out'

its not very economically feasible though, they have these in switzerland and they're expensive.

Looking to ride the shore but don't know where to go?

Get a copy of the Locals Guide to North Shore Rides!

Follow MTB Trails on Twitter

Follow Sharon and Lee on Twitter

Dec. 18, 2012, 9:56 p.m.

the vert for a lift access bike park at Cyps is crapola - barely 2000ft vert vs. whistler at 5500 feet (maybe a bit less since youre not riding right from peak to village every run)….it would have to seriously be priced right (which it wouldnt be because theyre money hungry owners - (see day pass price for skiing there right now) - and the trails to get up to bike-park grade which everyone expects would take years to build - you might get one line ready for opening in 2014 decent enough to session …. i'm pretty sure that everyone here would ride the park once or twice and after that just say - meh. Rather shuttle the lower cyps stuff than pay for lift access crap.

Unless they seriously consider investing tonnes of time and $$$ into developing a lift access DH facility, it'll never meet expectations, will always cost too much and wont have a snowflakes chance in hell of competing with other bike parks. Maybe they have a different vision - but as a DH park I just cant see it. They missed that boat years ago.

I'm ignoring Smedley.

Dec. 18, 2012, 10:13 p.m.

^obviously they're not going to be able to build a whistler-scope park, but given the quick access to the huge local population base, i think it could be a viable proposition. i'm sure lots of people that don't have the time / organization to do shuttles (or drive to whiz) might opt for something like this. by the end of the season of operation the trail system - though limited - was pretty fun, and well worth the cheap pass rate they charged.

Dec. 19, 2012, 8:38 a.m.

It would be for the residents. Kinda like the gondola in Kaden Woods in whistler for their 'ski in ski out'

Doesn't that strengthen the case against bikers even more though, as the local residents aren't going to be particularly happy having muddy gondolas after having paid through the nose for a house up there?

…and it's not as though the Kadenwood gondola is being used for hot laps of Big Timber.

Dec. 19, 2012, 9:03 a.m.

the vert for a lift access bike park at Cyps is crapola - barely 2000ft vert vs. whistler at 5500 feet (maybe a bit less since youre not riding right from peak to village every run)….it would have to seriously be priced right (which it wouldnt be because theyre money hungry owners - (see day pass price for skiing there right now) - and the trails to get up to bike-park grade which everyone expects would take years to build - you might get one line ready for opening in 2014 decent enough to session …. i'm pretty sure that everyone here would ride the park once or twice and after that just say - meh. Rather shuttle the lower cyps stuff than pay for lift access crap.

Unless they seriously consider investing tonnes of time and $$$ into developing a lift access DH facility, it'll never meet expectations, will always cost too much and wont have a snowflakes chance in hell of competing with other bike parks. Maybe they have a different vision - but as a DH park I just cant see it. They missed that boat years ago.

ummm did u ride whistlers bike park back in 1996 ???

everyone starts somewere..

back then WBP was NOTHING like it is now.

ps the first gen Cypress bike park was quite good for what it was after just a single season in operation. if they had both sides of the bowl open it would be a excellent park, certainly worthy of riding.

i rode there like 4-6 days (i forget now, kinda been awhile) and never really thought i was wasting my time.

Dec. 19, 2012, 10:10 a.m.

So Cycling BC may or may not put in a bike park on the ski resort, not gonna hold my breather waiting. If they do cool, i would use it, if they don't not loosing anything.

My concern is what is going to happen with the existing lower trails on Cypress, regardless of Gondola access.

www.essentialcycles.com | www.essentialcycles.shop 

Service, Sales & Repair Shop, Mountain Bike Rentals, Coaching & Guiding

Dec. 19, 2012, 11:06 a.m.

I completely disagree with this assessment. I would bet that well over 60% of all trips at the Whistler Bike Park are made off of Fitz or the Gondi to mid-station versus the Garby zone. The line-ups attest to this, as Garby is always empty when you could be waiting 20min or more at Fitz. People either want to be a part of the village scene, are A-Line gaper whores, or ride CUI over and over and over and over and over again. They are there for the scene and the flow of the lower mountain and relative comfort of it all.

Fitzsimmons Quad - Length - 5,817 ft / 1,745 m Total Vertical - 1,157 ft / 347 m

Cypress wins the single-ride vertical. It just needs the supporting trail system.

Rather shuttle the lower cyps stuff than pay for lift access crap.

Unless they seriously consider investing tonnes of time and $$$ into developing a lift access DH facility, it'll never meet expectations, will always cost too much and wont have a snowflakes chance in hell of competing with other bike parks.

This doesn't make sense. They are theoretically charging a fee to insure the facility, pay for staff, operate and maintain lifts, and MAINTAIN TRAILS. Tons of people banging lap after lap on lower Cypress aren't paying a dime for trail maintenance and most don't show up for trail days and then get bitter as things get beat by end of summer (I'm not saying this is you as I believe you do particpate in trail work, I'm generalising). If a rider shuttles lap after lap on trails with the big bike, doesn't support or donate to the local trail club, or doesn't turn out on trail days, then perhaps that rider needs to look in the mirror about their contribution to the sport rather than just leaching on the efforts of others. In theory, a user-fee bike park should offer well-maintained trails that are guilt free, as you've paid for the service.

Dec. 19, 2012, 11:18 a.m.

So if Cycling BC are attempting to lease access to the ski resort, how come BPP are entertaining the idea of putting in a gondola from the 1st to 3rd switchback (which I'm assuming would only facilitate biking and hiking)?

I know that Cypress Village is going to have a pub and that they'll be looking for clientele, but how many other West Vancouver bars/restaurants are dependant upon muddy bikers?

Is it possible that BPP are making false promises in an attempt to surppress any protests from the mountain biking community until the housing development is in full swing and the trails have been ripped out?

BPP is not promising a list-assisted bike park, so no, there's no false promises here.

What BPP can do is totally dependent on what West Vancouver approves for the Upper Lands. The idea of a lift has only been mentioned in conjunction with development not far from the 3rd switchback. This would require DWV to approve a 1200 foot variation which would only be done if there is an outstanding community benefit. There will be a public process for this, so be prepared to say yea or nay depending on where you stand.

The recreational value of the Upper lands is recognized in the Parks Master Plan which was adopted by Council, so yes, there will be recreational trails on Cypress including bike trails. What form those trails take hasn't been determined. There's a huge difference between free, volunteer maintained trails and a commercial bike park operation. Much to discuss.

The only thing that's certain right now is that a bike park on the lower mountain would have a longer season than one higher up.

Dec. 19, 2012, 11:25 a.m.

^ Thanks for the elaboration Alan!

Dec. 19, 2012, 12:14 p.m.

since they wouldn't make much money off peripherals like food/beer/accomodation, prices might be higher than Whis.

WTB Frequency i23 rim, 650b NEW - $40

Dec. 19, 2012, 3:04 p.m.

Doesn't that strengthen the case against bikers even more though, as the local residents aren't going to be particularly happy having muddy gondolas after having paid through the nose for a house up there?

…and it's not as though the Kadenwood gondola is being used for hot laps of Big Timber.

never said anything about the gondola being for bikers. Just like the Kadenwood one isn't for bikers.

Looking to ride the shore but don't know where to go?

Get a copy of the Locals Guide to North Shore Rides!

Follow MTB Trails on Twitter

Follow Sharon and Lee on Twitter