Cypress 2022

July 25, 2022, 5:51 p.m.

Posted by: Kever

Support the NSMBA; we'll post public trail days as they come up.

https://nsmba.ca/memberships/

July 27, 2022, 10:24 a.m.

The purpose of the climbing trail is to provide a trail for hikers, which will keep them off DH trails and "give back" a trail as mystery DH used to be hiking only. It's being built by the NSMBA by a contractor so it'll be MTB friendly if you choose to earn your turns or link up with the West side trails via skyline. 

The climb trail will make more sense for mountain bikers once there's a new blue or dark blue descent, hopefully that will happen at some point. The existing trails will carry on as is, with maintenance being done to ensure they stay good. Support the NSMBA; we'll post public trail days as they come up.

Nice work Kever and thanks for the info.

Stoked for this!

July 28, 2022, 12:38 p.m.

Thanks for your work on the DH trails on the east side of Cypress! Huge asset for our Canadian racers as well as people into riding fast fall line DH.

July 28, 2022, 1:58 p.m.

Posted by: grambo

Thanks for your work on the DH trails on the east side of Cypress! Huge asset for our Canadian racers as well as people into riding fast fall line DH.

I second (or third) this. Huge thanks! Having true DH laps to smash with your buddies on true DH bikes is tremendously valueable to my crew.

July 28, 2022, 7 p.m.

Thanks fellas.  Glad to have contributed to something valuable, and building is a good time.  I just wish more of my buddies were stoked on DH bikes and hot laps!

Aug. 2, 2022, 12:26 p.m.

Posted by: rip78

... I rode meatsweats this morning and it's even rougher than I remember (the top half anyway).

Long-time maintainer of meat sweats here...

You're right that upper meats sweats is a rough and difficult trail, it always has been and probably always will be.  There was quite a bit of work put into upper meat sweats last fall by smoothing out a few key sections, cleaning drains, and building a roll down bridge down a janky stump.  Certainly there are good lines and not so good lines down the trail, but it is rewarding when you can link them up.  The trails on Cypress East side are designed to be a training ground for DH racers, so they run best on modern DH bikes...

Rode Morgies and Meat Sweats for a few laps on BC Day with the boys. Can confirm, it's absolutely as it should be. Running fantastic, even on a DH bike with a 26" rear wheel (GASP/shudder - the horror!). So much fun, huge thanks once again Kever!

May 8, 2023, 2:47 p.m.

West Van Urban Forest Management Plan Survey was just released, includes Cypress. 

https://www.westvancouverite.ca/forest?utm_source=ehq_newsletter&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=ehq-New-project-needs-your-input-Urban-Forest-Management-Plan&utm_source=ehq&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=website

May 18, 2023, 9:05 a.m.

Thanks fellas.  Glad to have contributed to something valuable, and building is a good time.  I just wish more of my buddies were stoked on DH bikes and hot laps!

I rode Cypress for the first time yesterday and finished with Meat Sweats - the trail is a beaut, the hard work is appreciated and being able to pick so many varied lines at varying speeds on a DH bike was a treat. Having that set of jumps as a progression system is a great bit of thinking and something I feel that the Shore is lacking - of course wishes, fishes and land managers....

May 18, 2023, 10:45 a.m.

Posted by: DanL

Thanks fellas. Glad to have contributed to something valuable, and building is a good time. I just wish more of my buddies were stoked on DH bikes and hot laps!

I rode Cypress for the first time yesterday and finished with Meat Sweats - the trail is a beaut, the hard work is appreciated and being able to pick so many varied lines at varying speeds on a DH bike was a treat. Having that set of jumps as a progression system is a great bit of thinking and something I feel that the Shore is lacking - of course wishes, fishes and land managers....

Meat Sweats is absolutely awesome these days. I've always loved it as a rare wide-open shore DH trail, but it's next level now. The small updates on Jersey are great too, and with Morgies updated last year, that whole area is super satisfying. The maintenance being sponsored has really helped, and all the efforts over the past 6 months are super appreciated.

Our Wednesday-night posse have been letting the DH bikes run that combo pretty much every week since the road thawed out.

Last edited by: mammal on May 18, 2023, 10:47 a.m., edited 1 time in total.
May 19, 2023, 11:53 a.m.

Absolutely, thanks mates.  I rode on Wednesday as well and am super satisfied with how all the DH trails are running this year.  It's a culmination of ten years of consistent effort and the last two years have helped realize the vision with the extra labour available.  Things are running great overall and hopefully we get a bit of rain soon because the new stuff on lower meats is getting a bit chewed up, but that's par for the course for a DH track.  There's still some work to be done on upper and middle meats, no big changes but a bit of effort here and there to keep the line choice and improve flow.  The next public trail day is the weekend following this one, sign up here.

May 19, 2023, 5:38 p.m.

I went back for more yesterday and had the pleasure of watching Finn Iles rip past me on Jersey Shore. What a thing to see "DH speed" only meters from my face and without a fence or a crowd. Precision, speed, aggression, reaction. Incredible.

June 8, 2023, 10:14 a.m.

Rode Meat Sweats for the first time since 2018 (when I last owned a DH bike) and wow, kudos for all the work. It was also a pleasant reminder that no matter how good "enduro" bikes get, DH bikes are still a whole level above them in terms of comfort/speed. Hitting stuff fast with big holes/drops is a lot more comfortable on a proper big bike haha. Makes it all the more impressive when you watch video of Finn/Jackson etc. doing Cypress laps. Also saw the Norco guys out doing DH bike testing.

June 8, 2023, 4:21 p.m.

There's very little I enjoy more than letting a real DH bike gallop down trails like  Jersey and lower Meats. Morgies is great too.

June 9, 2023, 11:53 a.m.

Posted by: grambo

Rode Meat Sweats for the first time since 2018 (when I last owned a DH bike) and wow, kudos for all the work. It was also a pleasant reminder that no matter how good "enduro" bikes get, DH bikes are still a whole level above them in terms of comfort/speed. Hitting stuff fast with big holes/drops is a lot more comfortable on a proper big bike haha. Makes it all the more impressive when you watch video of Finn/Jackson etc. doing Cypress laps. Also saw the Norco guys out doing DH bike testing.

Laps of Meat Sweats on the Enduro bike the other day was pretty terrifying. Hadn't ridden it since the DH bike became obsolete either but man the enduro rig  struggled with the loosness' at speed...

Well, More accurately, I struggled with the loosness I guess......!

June 15, 2023, 11:01 a.m.

MORE work on Jersey over the past week, and it's better than I've ever seen it. It's  dream-like. Additional thanks to all those involved in fighting to keep it technical.