Cypress 2022

March 25, 2022, 11:45 a.m.

Posted by: craw

Posted by: Ddean

I’m not even a climber but I don’t think that the grades on BLT are very bad. Straight up the one by the Roach Hit exit and above the UTC entrance. They’re short. There are way worse climbs on the shore 🤣

Cypress Update:

There have been some positive developments that show that the DWV and BPP are listening to constructive feedback from all user groups, including bikers as it relates to development plans on Cypress.

It’s very important that people continue to look closely at what the plans outline, invest the time to understand the implications and then communicate alternatives (you can’t just say something doesn’t work, you should also have an alternative) constructively. 

Let’s see how it plays out - but it’s a good dialogue between Planning/BPP and riders right now re Cypress.  They’re considering feedback from riders when they can and it’s making a difference!

The bike trails that end at or cross the new graded walking path 100% need signage explaining that these are bike-primary descending trails. I've encountered clueless people a few time scrambling up Roach Hit. The encounters were friendly enough despite me skidding to a stop to avoid turning some kid into hamburger. It's super dangerous as it is.

There is a significant issue with declaring these trails bike primary as that suggests that they are authorized - which they are not. Officially, nobody is allowed on them - on foot or otherwise. BPP can not allow any sign other than the ones that you see all over Cypress: the no trespassing sign or the waiver sign. To do otherwise will immediately require rights of way and liability assumption by DWV - which is a process that takes years. 

The best we can get is one of those signs facing downward at the metal bridge and hope that people on foot dont venture up for fear of trespassing. But, if riders do not exercise care and there is an incident, my guess is that theyll close RoachHit/Wutang, or we will have to route bikes elsewhere than the first SB. We are working hard to keep as much in that area as we can but riders have to do their part as well and adapt to the fact that the area is now full of people on foot, including toddlers running around who are low and not visible and may be laying down on the middle of the trail behind the next corner. 

If riders cant safely accommodate people on foot in that area, theyll lose the trails. Times have changed - we need to change our habits too if we want to maintain the privileges of riding there.

March 26, 2022, 7:38 a.m.

Posted by: craw

I’m not even a climber but I don’t think that the grades on BLT are very bad. Straight up the one by the Roach Hit exit and above the UTC entrance. They’re short. There are way worse climbs on the shore 🤣

Cypress Update:

There have been some positive developments that show that the DWV and BPP are listening to constructive feedback from all user groups, including bikers as it relates to development plans on Cypress.

It’s very important that people continue to look closely at what the plans outline, invest the time to understand the implications and then communicate alternatives (you can’t just say something doesn’t work, you should also have an alternative) constructively. 

Let’s see how it plays out - but it’s a good dialogue between Planning/BPP and riders right now re Cypress.  They’re considering feedback from riders when they can and it’s making a difference!

The bike trails that end at or cross the new graded walking path 100% need signage explaining that these are bike-primary descending trails. I've encountered clueless people a few time scrambling up Roach Hit. The encounters were friendly enough despite me skidding to a stop to avoid turning some kid into hamburger. It's super dangerous as it is.

There is a significant issue with declaring these trails bike primary as that suggests that they are authorized - which they are not. Officially, nobody is allowed on them - on foot or otherwise. BPP can not allow any sign other than the ones that you see all over Cypress: the no trespassing sign or the waiver sign. To do otherwise will immediately require rights of way and liability assumption by DWV - which is a process that takes years. 

The best we can get is one of those signs facing downward at the metal bridge and hope that people on foot dont venture up for fear of trespassing. But, if riders do not exercise care and there is an incident, my guess is that theyll close RoachHit/Wutang, or we will have to route bikes elsewhere than the first SB. We are working hard to keep as much in that area as we can but riders have to do their part as well and adapt to the fact that the area is now full of people on foot, including toddlers running around who are low and not visible and may be laying down on the middle of the trail behind the next corner. 

If riders cant safely accommodate people on foot in that area, theyll lose the trails. Times have changed - we need to change our habits too if we want to maintain the privileges of riding there.

I could see how declaring the trails bike-primary could be problematic. As long as some measure is taken to warn pedestrians. 

It's hard not to feel a little resentful that now it's us who has to curtail our enjoyment of a trail we've ridden happily in relative privacy for decades when these newcomers are ultimately part of the process that's going to cause the remove of these trails altogether. Let us mourn the way we want lol. Finally the noobs and joiners can get what they really want, a mountain bike free zone with 20' wide graded gravel paths all over the place.

March 26, 2022, 5:31 p.m.

YUP! It does indeed suck.

Living with the new reality of people walking all over the bottom of the lower trails (I havent seen people venturing up S&M or TM, but theyre all up in Roach Hit's business) in a safe way will be key to keeping things as close to the status quo for as long as possible.

March 27, 2022, 3:43 p.m.

Snow report. 

Clear on east side: Meat Sweats, Jersey Shore and Mystery.  

5th Horseman is clear, new work at the very end chute which should be ridden around until it packs down.

For the above, the east side is being grandfathered in but as far as I know not the west side.  MTB has no right of way and any conflict with anyone could bring unwanted attention.  I vote to just keep interactions polite and scout any jumps before hitting them.  I have almost run over a few hikers but I just apologize and give them a heads up that more bikes are coming down then mozy along.

It's not about right v. wrong v. anything.  I just want to keep riding and conflict means the district and private land owners will crack down.

April 1, 2022, 6:57 p.m.

as if the gravel paths and steel bridges weren't bad enough, let's waste $141 million dollars...

https://dailyhive.com/vancouver/giant-vancouver-sign-tourism-initiative

April 1, 2022, 7:03 p.m.

That was funny.

April 1, 2022, 7:11 p.m.

I'll admit, I actually fell for that one!

April 3, 2022, 7:54 a.m.

Posted by: YDiv

I'll admit, I actually fell for that one!

The funniest ones fall eerily close to actual possibility, says the city that spend $4.8B on a chandelier under a bridge. Yes I know a developer paid for it but still.

April 3, 2022, 9:05 a.m.

Wait, you mean British Properties isn't putting in the sign?  It would really top off the tourism to the first switchback, they could probably charge for parking.

May 1, 2022, 12:10 p.m.

Finally made it back to Cypress and used the new parking lot for the first time. Started my ride ~8:45 from an almost empty lot and as usual on Cypress I didn't see any other people during the whole ride except a few hikers near the bottom.

Got back ~10:30 to a half full lot with a steady stream of shuttle bros trickling in so it could have gotten busy afterwards. The drive back on the highway was without delays all the way to Lonsdale.

Nice to be able to hose the bike down in the parking and air-dry it on the roof rack on the drive home.

Trails were damp and slick, I struggled a bit but had fun nonetheless. Always feels a bit like an adventure on Cypress for some reason.

Last edited by: [email protected] on May 1, 2022, 8:06 p.m., edited 1 time in total.
May 2, 2022, 10:41 a.m.

I enlisted my better half to give me a couple Jersey shuttles prior to our customary Friday afternoon Cypress Beer View hangout (location a closely guarded secret). The fire road up there is almost snow free, and the trail was a bit sloppy yet running fast. Need a bit of a dry spell before I get the DH bike up to full gallop though, there are still some sneaky wet roots out there to keep the rear wheel in zesty mode.

July 23, 2022, 12:24 p.m.

does anyone know what the status is with the announcements that were made last fall?  I seem to recall that they were building a climb trail and that they were going to sanction meatsweats.    I rode meatsweats this morning and it's even rougher than I remember (the top half anyway)

July 25, 2022, 11:46 a.m.

Posted by: rip78

does anyone know what the status is with the announcements that were made last fall?  I seem to recall that they were building a climb trail and that they were going to sanction meatsweats.    I rode meatsweats this morning and it's even rougher than I remember (the top half anyway)

Long-time maintainer of meat sweats here, yes meat sweats was among three trails that were sanctioned last fall.  Since that time, significant efforts have been made by myself and other Cypress builders to improve those sanctioned trails.  I am proud of the work we have accomplished since last fall; Jersey, Meat Sweats, and Morgies are all running better than they have in years.  And surprisingly, very few people have been riding that side of the mountain compared with the last 3-4 years.

You're right that upper meats sweats is a rough and difficult trail, it always has been and probably always will be.  There was quite a bit of work put into upper meat sweats last fall by smoothing out a few key sections, cleaning drains, and building a roll down bridge down a janky stump.  Certainly there are good lines and not so good lines down the trail, but it is rewarding when you can link them up.  The trails on Cypress East side are designed to be a training ground for DH racers, so they run best on modern DH bikes.  Upper meats can also be quite challenging in the wet as the roots can get quite slippery.  Overall it's a tough zone to build, but I believe the alignment of the trail is generally good and it will continue to be a good trail long term as long as it is maintained and improved regularly.

So, my suggestion is to run tire inserts, lower tire pressure, know when it's too wet to ride, ride a DH bike, and study those lines.  It's quite fun when it all comes together!  And yes there will be more improvements, we are just in a holding pattern at the moment due to weather and a few other factors.  Happy trails folks.

July 25, 2022, 4:20 p.m.

thanks for the detailed reply.  I know it's always been more of a DH trail, and while I still have a DH bike I prefer to pedal up.  I know it's always been fairly difficult, but I feel like in the past I could ride about 95% of it on my trail bike.  Now it felt like 85%.  maybe it's just me getting older.

I wasn't expecting it to be dumbed down when it was sanctioned, just more curious what the overall plan is.  Especially with the climb trail as I wasn't sure exactly where that is supposed to be.  I think I know, but not sure what the purpose of it is if I'm understanding it correctly.

July 25, 2022, 4:57 p.m.

Posted by: rip78

thanks for the detailed reply.  I know it's always been more of a DH trail, and while I still have a DH bike I prefer to pedal up.  I know it's always been fairly difficult, but I feel like in the past I could ride about 95% of it on my trail bike.  Now it felt like 85%.  maybe it's just me getting older.

I wasn't expecting it to be dumbed down when it was sanctioned, just more curious what the overall plan is.  Especially with the climb trail as I wasn't sure exactly where that is supposed to be.  I think I know, but not sure what the purpose of it is if I'm understanding it correctly.

Fair comments. My vision for meat sweats is to keep the flavour but "dumb it down" a little over the years to keep the constant erosion from making the trail too gnarly. There's a couple zones on upper meats that could use some work right now, hopefully we'll get to those in the fall. It's tough because the trail surface is fairly loamy with glacial till underneath, so it's basically wet loam for at least half the year. I've worked on a lot of trails in the last ten years and upper meat sweats is the toughest zone to build for sure, especially the zone above the second hip jump. 

The purpose of the climbing trail is to provide a trail for hikers, which will keep them off DH trails and "give back" a trail as mystery DH used to be hiking only. It's being built by the NSMBA by a contractor so it'll be MTB friendly if you choose to earn your turns or link up with the West side trails via skyline. 

The climb trail will make more sense for mountain bikers once there's a new blue or dark blue descent, hopefully that will happen at some point. The existing trails will carry on as is, with maintenance being done to ensure they stay good. Support the NSMBA; we'll post public trail days as they come up.