Cypress 2022

March 14, 2022, 2:11 p.m.

One counter-argument is that given the massive population growth in the lower mainland (which will continue) and influx of wealth, why is BC Parks/Rec Trails BC so underfunded that we've seen no actual development for public access to the wilderness/parks? Burke has been in the works for how long now? If there were more access points (put in thoughtful locations) to spread out the masses up the Sea to Sky and up the valley, that would help.

March 15, 2022, 7:58 a.m.

Posted by: grambo

One counter-argument is that given the massive population growth in the lower mainland (which will continue) and influx of wealth, why is BC Parks/Rec Trails BC so underfunded that we've seen no actual development for public access to the wilderness/parks? Burke has been in the works for how long now? If there were more access points (put in thoughtful locations) to spread out the masses up the Sea to Sky and up the valley, that would help.

They like all the extra bodies and taxes and property taxes but not actually scaling up any services accordingly. Ever wonder what they're going to do with the extra traffic, oh, anywhere in NVan as these towers get finished? They finally finished most of the interchange work on the highway north of the Second Narrow and traffic is the worst it's ever been. It's straight up gridlock half of every day. And not just slow moving traffic but stationary waiting for hours.

March 15, 2022, 8:37 a.m.

Posted by: craw

Posted by: grambo

They like all the extra bodies and taxes and property taxes but not actually scaling up any services accordingly. Ever wonder what they're going to do with the extra traffic, oh, anywhere in NVan as these towers get finished? They finally finished most of the interchange work on the highway north of the Second Narrow and traffic is the worst it's ever been. It's straight up gridlock half of every day. And not just slow moving traffic but stationary waiting for hours.

The new interchange really hasn't solved much.... People trying to get off the shore in the afternoon are sitting in gridlock as much as they always have been. Although getting past the gridlock has improved when going east/west from Seymour to Seylynn. I really find the amount of traffic coming to and leaving the shore every weekday incredible. Weekends? Fuggetaboutit.

March 15, 2022, 8:47 a.m.

There's a dedicated thread for that 😉

https://nsmb.com/forum/forum/the-shore-3/topic/traffic-on-the-north-shore-wtf-132190/

March 15, 2022, 11:10 a.m.

a million+ new people in the lower mainland in the next 20+ years, government agencies are so off the back in preparing for that recreation demand reality.

Last edited by: FlipFantasia on March 15, 2022, 11:13 a.m., edited 1 time in total.
March 15, 2022, 11:40 a.m.

I think you mean housing demand.  Won’t be any forest left.

March 15, 2022, 2:17 p.m.

you are not stuck in traffic, you are traffic…

March 15, 2022, 6:24 p.m.

Posted by: Sethimus

Most people can't quite grasp that they are not the main character and that the universe isn't a series of things happening to them it is happening irrespective of them.

March 16, 2022, 9:15 a.m.

E-cargo bike ftw. 

Work from home ftw.

Never really needing to leave the Shore ftw.

March 16, 2022, 9:17 a.m.

Posted by: earleb

Work from home ftw.

My cats miss me soo much right now, stupid in-office work.

March 16, 2022, 12:54 p.m.

E-cargo bike ftw. 

Work from home ftw.

no car 4tw

working in the swiss village next to mine that is reachable per train in 4min

being able to reach every over villiage in switzerland by train or postbus.

i love my new swiss lifestyle :)

March 17, 2022, 8:03 a.m.

E-cargo bike ftw.

Work from home ftw.

Seriously. I've ridden from my home in East Van and ridden two mountains in a day. It's a huge mission. 100% doable but it's a commitment. I had quietly hoped that ebikes would makes this more doable but I'm told that for a 240lb rider all geared up that getting from East Van to the top of Fromme and home again would be a stretch. Lynn Valley Bikes said they'd happily sell me another battery I could leave charging at the shop ;) When this technology gets 2-3 generations further along call me back.

I guess we are looking forward to a summer of strategic ride start times to avoid traffic. Be like Australian roadies: get out super early to beat the heat or don't get out.

It's nice that with the projected population increases there isn't much meaningful conversation about increasing the outdoor recreational amenities to go with. What about transit on the north shore? That shit takes decades of repetitive studies to allow the committees to argue in circles. If there's not a plan in motion now it's only going to get worse.

Sorry to hijack. Back to Cypress!!

Last edited by: craw on March 17, 2022, 8:07 a.m., edited 3 times in total.
March 17, 2022, 8:57 a.m.

Ah yes, Cypress. The place where almost nobody is pedaling to, everyone drives, and many lap their vehicles up/down in the process. I love the mountain, currently doing weekly trail work to buff up some lower stuff, and really looking forward to Jersey/Meat drying up for mid-week laps-n-bbq nights with the boys. 

But I do find it funny that the cargo-bike/car-less sentiment spilled over to the Cypress thread.

March 17, 2022, 12:37 p.m.

I mean, my biggest impediment to spending more time at Cypress is that traffic getting home to Grand Boulevard is a dice roll.

Otherwise its great. Trails are sick, climb is brutal but efficient. Bike wash, beer, pizza... those are all just nice add ons.

Last edited by: cooperquinn on March 17, 2022, 12:38 p.m., edited 1 time in total.
March 18, 2022, 11:09 a.m.

climb up the road is pretty chill compared to BLT and probably quicker.  Cypress is made for shuttles though.